The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Gay Traffic Lights Options
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, September 4, 2016 7:21:43 AM

Neurons: 22,062
A few European cities have installed gay traffic lights for pedestrians.

The traffic light, for example, shows two same-gender persons holding hands as they cross the street.

The articles that I have just read seem to indicate that these gay traffic lights are not necessarily permanent features. They may be used only to celebrate certain occasions, such Gay Pride Week.

(To the best of my knowledge, no such traffic lights have appeared in the United States. Gay marriage and gender-specific restrooms are already creating enough controversy for elected officials.)

P.S. The website of the Independent (a London newspaper) has illustrations of the gay traffic lights. It also lists the European countries where gay people are NOT treated with such tolerance.
Diogenes
Posted: Sunday, September 4, 2016 12:27:34 PM

Neurons: 64,654
Rather discriminatory, wouldn't you say? Homosexuality is but one of the many,many ways that sexuality can be expressed, or for that matter, not expressed. I generally choose to minimize my sexual expression while attempting to heed traffic signals as a pedestrian, and would expect no less from the oncoming motorists.Just as a matter of public safety, shouldn't traffic signals depict non-sexual individuals?
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Sunday, September 4, 2016 12:47:52 PM

Neurons: 435,909
Tempest in a teapot.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, September 4, 2016 12:48:43 PM

Neurons: 10,811
TheParser wrote:

The traffic light, for example, shows two same-gender persons holding hands as they cross the street.

The articles that I have just read seem to indicate that these gay traffic lights are not necessarily permanent features. They may be used only to celebrate certain occasions, such Gay Pride Week.

(To the best of my knowledge, no such traffic lights have appeared in the United States. Gay marriage and gender-specific restrooms are already creating enough controversy for elected officials.)

P.S. The website of the Independent (a London newspaper) has illustrations of the gay traffic lights. It also lists the European countries where gay people are NOT treated with such tolerance.

Sadly the Independent is no longer a newspaper, it has ceased publishing and has only an online presence, it was also a national newspaper rather than a London one.
Blodybeef
Posted: Monday, September 5, 2016 1:22:02 AM

Neurons: 566,992
Diogenes wrote:
Rather discriminatory, wouldn't you say? Homosexuality is but one of the many,many ways that sexuality can be expressed, or for that matter, not expressed. I generally choose to minimize my sexual expression while attempting to heed traffic signals as a pedestrian, and would expect no less from the oncoming motorists.Just as a matter of public safety, shouldn't traffic signals depict non-sexual individuals?

I agree, traffic signs should be internationally standardized and recognizable, therefore be sexually and racially neutral.
Priscilla86
Posted: Monday, September 5, 2016 2:23:56 AM

Neurons: 4,056
I don't know how the traffic lights look like in Europe (or US / UK for that matter) but in Singapore the pedestrian crossing lights only feature one human figure like this one:

In Indonesia it's worse, as far as I remember we've never had any (that might have changed now, though. I don't know, haven't been back in a while).

FYI, Indonesia doesn't really have the male-female distinction that exists in many western languages. Objects are not assigned a gender and we use gender-neutral pronouns, which make things simpler. And as someone from a country where gendered pronouns don't exist, can I just say that I've never understood why some languages need them in the first place.
mactoria
Posted: Monday, September 5, 2016 2:31:25 AM

Neurons: 1,592,466
Priscilla86 wrote:
I don't know how the traffic lights look like in Europe (or US / UK for that matter) but in Singapore the pedestrian crossing lights only feature one human figure like this one:

In Indonesia it's worse, as far as I remember we've never had any (that might have changed now, though. I don't know, haven't been back in a while).

FYI, Indonesia doesn't really have the male-female distinction that exists in many western languages. Objects are not assigned a gender and we use gender-neutral pronouns, which make things simpler. And as someone from a country where gendered pronouns don't exist, can I just say that I've never understood why some languages need them in the first place.

Priscilla: Your pictures of pedestrian traffic lights are what we use here in the US, at least the cities and states I've been: one stick figure that is asexual.

TheParser seems to obsess on issues of sexuality, particularly homosexuality, so who knows if this is just him trying to whip up something, or a factual story. Probably best to just ignore.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, September 5, 2016 4:49:46 AM

Blodybeef wrote:
Diogenes wrote:

I agree, traffic signs should be internationally standardized and recognizable, therefore be sexually and racially neutral.

Traffic laws vary from country to country it would be impossible to standardise all the traffic signs, a person should make sure they understand the basic laws of the country they visit.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, September 5, 2016 5:12:08 AM

Neurons: 216,021
What about animal rights??
And intelligent bicycles crossing alone?

[image not available]
EPT31
Posted: Monday, September 5, 2016 5:49:23 AM

Neurons: 77,333
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
And intelligent bicycles crossing alone?

Applause You made my day!

TheParser wrote:

Not exactly: London installed traffic lights displaying gay and straight pedestrians for the duration of the pride parade. Some other cities *had* installed such traffic lights in the past for similar event and removed them.

So, nothing discriminatory, Diogenes, there were in fact 7 different designs depicting some of the many ways sexuality can be expressed. And as far I know, they were removed two months ago after the pride parade end of June.

What *I* find discriminatory in the depiction of womanhood by adding a simple skirt to the design. Does it mean that Scots cannot be loved too?

Much ado about nothing.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, September 5, 2016 5:54:15 AM

Neurons: 216,021
Blodybeef
Posted: Monday, September 5, 2016 6:16:08 AM

Sarrriesfan wrote:
Traffic laws vary from country to country it would be impossible to standardise all the traffic signs, a person should make sure they understand the basic laws of the country they visit.

I agree also to that. What I mean is, this sign :

[image not available]

or this one:

[image not available]

should mean the same thing, no matter in which country you are.

(I think they do.) Think
Allessio77
Posted: Monday, September 5, 2016 9:12:10 AM

Neurons: 171,364
Signs should be standard, but colors could vary slightly. For instance Gay neighborhoods could use pink instead of red.
Blodybeef
Posted: Monday, September 5, 2016 9:38:15 AM

[image not available]
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, September 5, 2016 9:44:07 AM

Blodybeef wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:

I agree also to that. What I mean is, this sign :

[image not available]

or this one:

[image not available]

should mean the same thing, no matter in which country you are.

(I think they do.) Think

We do use the no entry sign as you have posted, but the top one in the UK is black with white chevrons on it.
Priscilla86
Posted: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 9:22:40 AM

Neurons: 4,056
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Laughing my ass off, Drag0, laughing my ass off.