mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Art...is merely the refuge which the ingenious have invented, when they were supplied with food and women, to escape the... Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 104,298
Art...is merely the refuge which the ingenious have invented, when they were supplied with food and women, to escape the tediousness of life.

W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)
gerry
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 1:23:22 AM

Neurons: 291,011
And what do you call the buyers?Sick
KSPavan
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 2:05:35 AM

Neurons: 5,194,752
Daemon wrote:
Art...is merely the refuge which the ingenious have invented, when they were supplied with food and women, to escape the tediousness of life.

Bully_rus
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 1:25:47 PM

Neurons: 396,261
Daemon wrote:

Does it mean that art without food, let alone women, can't exist?
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:09:20 PM

Neurons: 8,702,117
Context from :"Of Human Bondage"

Chapter XLII

"I do not blame you, for you have given an apt illustration of the statement I just made. What is art beside love? I respect and applaud your indifference to fine poetry when you can contemplate the meretricious charms of this young person."

She passed by the table at which they were sitting, and he took her arm.

"Come and sit by my side, dear child, and let us play the divine comedy of love."

"Fichez-moi la paix," she said, and pushing him on one side continued her perambulation.

"Art," he continued, with a wave of the hand, "is merely the refuge which the ingenious have invented, when they were supplied with food and women, to escape the tediousness of life."

Cronshaw filled his glass again, and began to talk at length. He spoke with rotund delivery. He chose his words carefully. He mingled wisdom and nonsense in the most astounding manner, gravely making fun of his hearers at one moment, and at the next playfully giving them sound advice. He talked of art, and literature, and life. He was by turns devout and obscene, merry and lachrymose. He grew remarkably drunk, and then he began to recite poetry, his own and Milton's, his own and Shelley's, his own and Kit Marlowe's.

Read more:http://www.online-literature.com/maugham/of-human-bondage/42/
Virginia Lathan
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:24:05 PM

Neurons: 6,103
When I read this quote, I was reminded of how I view the Internet, movies, and TV. There are so many bare bottoms on display that are meant to entice us, that, for me, it has become monotonous seeing the same type images over and over again--after all, if you’ve seen one over-exposed butt gyrating, you’ve seen them all. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not commenting from a puritanical perspective: I’m very open to freedom of sexual expression that causes no harm to others. It’s just that our media has become sexually over saturated to the point where viewing many erotic images can subdue one’s stimulation. So show me something that will spark my imagination, something subtle, something not normally meant to arouse our passions…yet it does. That’s what art has the power to do. (To better understand what I mean, watch “Chocolat,” a 2000 film that’s “sinfully delicious.”)