mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Misanthropy Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2016 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,695
Misanthropy

Misanthropy is a general dislike or distrust of the human species. Typically motivated by social alienation or feelings of contempt for society's prevailing characteristics, misanthropes express a dislike for humanity as a whole, but can have normal relationships with some individuals. Overt expressions of misanthropy can be attributed to characters throughout literature. What existentialist philosopher and writer famously wrote that "hell is other people" in his play No Exit? More...
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2016 1:29:21 PM

Neurons: 7,700,132

"Hell is other people"

This quote is one of the most famous Jean-Paul Sartre. Quick explanation of this strange and famous sentence from the existentialist philosopher.

It completed the play ‘Huis Clos’, written in 1943. ‘No Exit’ relates the arrival of three characters in hell. Two women and a man trying to understand what might lead them to hell and what is their punishment. They quickly understand that there is no executioner because each of the other two is the hangman for the third. The full version of the quote lights this:

“All those glances that I eat … Ha, you’re only two? I thought you were much more numerous. So that’s hell. … I never thought You remember: the sulfur, the stake, the grill .. Oh What a joke. No need to grill: hell is other people”

http://www.the-philosophy.com/sartre-hell-is-other-people