The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I believe in fly saucers. Options
pljames
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2016 10:46:27 AM

Neurons: 15,207
It was a beautiful spring day and I was in some friends back yard when someone said, "what is that I see flying over us"? We then looked up and saw four saucers about twenty feet above us which we never saw before. Not a sound did they make but was flying in some order. We starred at them and couldn't explain what we had saw. As far as we knew that was the first time we saw flying saucers.

By that experience then, their must be aliens who were flying them. What would you think if your saw one? Curious-Paul
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2016 11:50:19 AM

Neurons: 604,726
If I saw what looked like a flying saucer I would assume that it was an optical illusion or an experimental aircraft of some kind. There are no planets that can support life within 500 light years of Earth, so anything that can fly at the speed of light for that length of time and able to live that long would surely have better places to go than our little world.
tunaafi
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2016 12:11:14 PM

Neurons: 53,503
My wife and I, neither of whom believed in UFOs, once saw a light-emitting object as we were driving across Salisbury Plain one dark night about thirty years ago.

We thought at first it might be a single-carriage train, though it appeared to change its shape as we watched it. It was moving along at approximately the same speed as our car. We guessed it might be between one and two kilometres away.

The thing went out of sight at times as it passed behind low hills and clumps of trees. What really puzzled us was the way it occasionally changed position quite sharply, sometimes being on our left, sometimes on our right. At times when it was ahead of us, it appeared to be stationary, although we did not seem to be getting any closer to it. We began to wonder if perhaps there were such things as UFOs.

I no longer remember how long we watched it. It was probably only four or five minutes, though it seemed a very long time then.

It was only when our winding road reached the top of a hill and the whispy clouds that had been crossing the sky cleared, that we realised that our UFO was the moon, low in the sky. Our changes of direction as we went round the bends in the road had made it seem as though it had been changing position.

We did feel a little silly.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2016 12:49:18 PM

Neurons: 12,490
When I was a boy with some friends saw a large white ball travelling slowly and silently through the air, as we lived near an airport we knew what most aircraft looked like so we where puzzled by what we saw. We became convinced we had seen a UFO, which we had as it was an Unidentified Flying Object.

A year later it was announced to the public that Skyship Industries had been building and flying new airships from the old R101 hangars in Cardington north of where I live, we then realised what we had seen was a test flight by this prototype.

towan52
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2016 1:12:14 PM

Neurons: 224,827
jacobusmaximus wrote:
If I saw what looked like a flying saucer I would assume that it was an optical illusion or an experimental aircraft of some kind. There are no planets that can support life within 500 light years of Earth, so anything that can fly at the speed of light for that length of time and able to live that long would surely have better places to go than our little world.

I wouldn't be so sure. Earth has some of the best beer, wine and Scotch whiskey available anywhere in the galaxy. Plus, Boris Johnson and Donald Trump would be good alien research subjects....d'oh!
Mack R
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2016 2:32:18 PM

Neurons: 82,212
If I saw an unidentifiable flying object in the sky I would certainly be excited and curious as to what it was and it's purpose for being there.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2016 3:11:45 PM

Neurons: 53,317
http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-common-explanations-for-ufos.php

[image not available]

Only twenty feet above you? You are talking one to one and a half to two stories in a condo building. Must have been almost on top of you. These clouds would be much higher. Is this about you or your writing?
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2016 3:17:04 PM

One of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes cartoons, and today it is even more apropos, for many reasons besides what we are doing to the earth -

[image not available]

Axel Bear
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2016 4:19:32 PM

Neurons: 22,403

towan52 wrote:

...Earth has some of the best beer, wine and Scotch whiskey available anywhere in the galaxy. Plus, Boris Johnson and Donald Trump would be good alien research subjects....d'oh!

I think you mean scotch whisky

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2016 6:37:50 PM

Whiskey/whisky nmemonics:
Here’s a quick way to remember how some of the world’s biggest producers spell their products:

Countries that have E’s in their names (UnitEd StatEs and IrEland) tend to spell it whiskEy (plural whiskeys)
Countries without E’s in their names (Canada, Scotland, and Japan) spell it whisky (plural whiskies)

Whew! Time for a drink.

http://www.thekitchn.com/whiskey-vs-whisky-whats-the-di-100476

The Scots spell it whisky and the Irish spell it whiskey, with an extra 'e'. This difference in the spelling comes from the translations of the word from the Scottish and Irish Gaelic forms. Whiskey with the extra 'e' is also used when referring to American whiskies.

I always spell it whiskey but whiskies plural. (How anybody can drink it, including my husband and his Scotch, is beyond me. Whistle )

ETA - I take it back about whiskey - "Baileys Irish Cream is an Irish whiskey- and cream-based liqueur, made by Gilbeys of Ireland. The trademark is currently owned by Diageo. It has a declared alcohol content of 17% alcohol by volume." Wikipedia Angel

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2016 7:50:35 PM

Neurons: 224,906
I blame it all on the Romans.

They called it aqua vitae - the water of life.
The monks, writing in Irish Gaelic translated that as uisce beatha.
The Scots Gaelic equivalent is uisge.
Then someone tried to write those sounds in English, and ended up with the different spellings.

Great cartoon, Hope.
Elvandil
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2016 8:28:48 PM

Neurons: 149,452
Hope123 wrote:
One of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes cartoons, and today it is even more apropos, for many reasons besides what we are doing to the earth

Humans certainly have made a mess of things. The Victorian belief in reason as primary, though debunked by modern neuroscience and philosophy, still obtains among many groups of people.

Extraterrestrials would have as little to say to us as we would have to say to termites. It's too bad that we don't emulate some of the higher animals.

If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but deteriorate the cat.

Mark Twain

towan52
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2016 8:59:13 PM

Neurons: 224,827
Axel Bear wrote:

towan52 wrote:

...Earth has some of the best beer, wine and Scotch whiskey available anywhere in the galaxy. Plus, Boris Johnson and Donald Trump would be good alien research subjects....d'oh!

I think you mean scotch whisky

I'm deeply ashamed - I've been here too long!Anxious
kdabber
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 8:36:41 PM

Neurons: 61,612
Hope123, that is one of the neatest tricks to remember spelling that I've ever come across!

(It prompted a discussion with my husband here as he was passing through the room. I asked him if he'd ever heard of the 'E/no E' way to remember if whiskey was spelled whiskey or 'whisky'. He thought for a moment and said, "That isn't true! Canadian Club spells it whiskey. Just type Canadian Club into Google and you'll see."

I did, and sure enough it was spelled whisky.

"I'll be damned!" he said, "my whole life I was sure it had an e!" You learn something new every day.

(I have a similar trick to remember the difference between Francis and Frances.) The 'male' version has the 'i' which is like a penis and a testicle, and the female version has the 'e'. When written in cursive, the the letter 'e' has a rounded opening like a vagina.

It's worked for me all my life. I've never had to guess since.
Humble B'
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 6:14:09 PM

Neurons: 152,585
jacobusmaximus wrote:
If I saw what looked like a flying saucer I would assume that it was an optical illusion or an experimental aircraft of some kind.

Depends on what you are seeing. I can asure you if you see one as close and as clear as I've seen one flying overhead, the only thing left to assume is that it is a flying saucer.