The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Moon landing a fake. Options
pljames
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:11:59 AM

Neurons: 15,207
I just read the moon landing didn't happen, it was a fake and done in Hollywood? Thoughts? Curious-Paul
Annelise Carlsen
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 10:10:18 AM

Neurons: 7,781
No, I don't think it was fake and several people set foot on the moon after Neil Armstrong.
There is a lot of conspiracy theories about the moon landing - Mythbusters dedicated a full episode of their show to test several of them.
You'll find the full Moon Landing episode here - it's worth watching.
whatson
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 10:56:07 AM

Neurons: 3,777
The much-touted Resurrection definitely did not happen, it is adapted from an old Egyptian myth.
Dynamina
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:48:15 AM

Neurons: 2,840
whatson wrote:
The much-touted Resurrection definitely did not happen...

Yes it did...I saw it on CNN live Breaking News
Alvaro F. Plaza
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 4:37:08 PM

Neurons: 2,509,707
Recently - and well documented in National Geographic - some religious communities have been reluctant to accept science, to the point that they refuse to be vaccinated, something that has been probed for more than a century to be the only means to prevent some diseases like smallpox; in the same way the reject everything that comes form the scientific investigation and that is why they are skeptical relating this episode that seen in the perspective of present technology has nothing to deny that astronauts have come to the moon. There has been a lot of achievements long time ago that may seem non convincing, but that actually have occured. Is air transportation a fake? Is it true or not that you can see your skeleton being alive? There are a lot o examples.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 5:15:41 PM

Neurons: 587,447
Robin Hood was just a robbing hood.
Romany
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2016 1:27:29 PM

Neurons: 56,028

Never thought I'd say it, but.....

I've missed your corney puns, JJ! Haven't seen one in a while.Dancing
MelissaMe
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2016 10:07:54 AM

Neurons: 347,528
.....and you can find and read that the earth is flat if you visit the Flat Earth Society.......

The internet is full of lies.
isaaac
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2016 8:06:15 PM

Neurons: 42,671
WaterLESS bathing,fake Mooning,hyphenated IdentityBoo hoo! Boo hoo! Brick wall
Shulamit
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2016 8:30:06 PM

Neurons: 48,633
Jyrrka: Every time I read the quote at the end of your posts, I appreciate it (and whoever you are) more and more. It really does about sum it all up. Did you invent that? If you did, congratulations on your depth and humor. If you didn't, then congratulations on your exquisite taste.

As for the verifiability of the moon landing, you can find proof that it happened and proof that it never did depending on whatever you prefer. Just look on the net. Generally speaking, in all matters of passionate opinion (which seems to have entirely replaced authentic curiosity) , for the believer no proof is necessary; for the disbeliever no proof is possible.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2016 11:04:03 PM

Neurons: 53,317
Paul, the moon landing really happened. Believe about a quarter of what you read online and check the facts for yourself. Snopes.com is a good site for fact checking and there are a couple for political fact checking too.

Digression about another weird theory - In Florida in 1894 there was a group of people who believed the earth was a hollow ball and humans lived inside. They believed in immortality and when their leader died they propped him up for four days and waited for his resurrection - which didn't happen. They also believed in celibacy and even husband and wife had to live in separate quarters. Strange how their population did increase for a while. Whistle

There is a museum there now with all the diagrams and theories that supposedly proved their belief. It is now a state park in Estero called Koreshan State Park. We often joined our friends there for a picnic lunch when they parked their RV there.

It seems once people get an idea in their head, it is hard for facts to change it.

Edited to add - OMG, I just googled for more info to refresh my memory and found out that the original site in FL is the museum but the group Koreshan Unity is still active. I'm not sure if they still believe or if they are historians. I thought they had all died out.

http://mwweb.org/koreshan/blog/

http://www.weirdus.com/states/florida/fabled_people_and_places/hollow_earth/index.php

BTW - Ft. Myers is spelled incorrectly in the article on the second link.

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, July 4, 2016 7:11:11 AM

Neurons: 587,447
Shulamit wrote:
Jyrrka: Every time I read the quote at the end of your posts, I appreciate it (and whoever you are) more and more. It really does about sum it all up. Did you invent that? If you did, congratulations on your depth and humor. If you didn't, then congratulations on your exquisite taste.

Terry Pratchett, one of my all time favourites.
leonAzul
Posted: Monday, July 4, 2016 8:00:40 AM

Neurons: 30,816
Hope123 wrote:

There is a museum there now with all the diagrams and theories that supposedly proved their belief. It is now a state park in Estero called Koreshan State Park. We often joined our friends there for a picnic lunch when they parked their RV there.

It seems once people get an idea in their head, it is hard for facts to change it.

Edited to add - OMG, I just googled for more info to refresh my memory and found out that the original site in FL is the museum but the group Koreshan Unity is still active. I'm not sure if they still believe or if they are historians. I thought they had all died out.

http://mwweb.org/koreshan/blog/

http://www.weirdus.com/states/florida/fabled_people_and_places/hollow_earth/index.php

BTW - Ft. Myers is spelled incorrectly in the article on the second link.

Just for the record, the official site can be found here: https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Koreshan

Quote:
The colony, known as the Koreshan Unity, believed that the entire universe existed within a giant, hollow sphere. The colony began fading after Teed´s death in 1908, and in 1961 the last four members deeded the land to the state. What remains of their once vibrant community are 11 beautifully maintained historic structures that date from 1882-1920 and landscaped grounds including unique ornamental exotic vegetation from throughout the world.

In addition to the mwweb.org blog, the Wikipedia article has a good list of sources, although the article itself could be written better: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koreshan_Unity

===============================

The bulk of the so-called evidence for a moon "hoax" is the existence of training films and simulations that were obviously made on Earth, and the paucity of archival video tapes of the actual events. This is not so difficult to understand once it is observed that the people involved with the space program are scientists and engineers, not historians. Each mission, from the first Mercury to the last Apollo, had specific goals to achieve and procedures to test. As soon as the results were analyzed from one mission and verified in the next, the accumulated data were no longer needed, and the expensive magnetic media on which they were recorded were erased and recycled. It was entirely accidental that any of the preparatory material survived at all, and for those who understood its purpose, it was considered more amusing than incriminating.

Indeed, most of the copies we have of the original transmissions were recorded by local broadcasters as kinescopes from the television feeds distributed by NASA. This well-source Wikipedia article goes into greater detail.

thar
Posted: Monday, July 4, 2016 9:53:41 AM

Neurons: 90,875
Yes, funny how these religions advocating celibacy all die out, whereas the ones outlawing birth control just keep growing... Think

I haven't investigated the evidence, but I take it as reasonable received fact that the landings happened. One big reason being that I don't believe people could keep their mouths shut, and it requires too many people (either involved, or not involved where they should be) to fake it.

Which makes it an interesting 'what if?'. I know it was Cold War, and American Pride, and at least for some people there was a lot of patriotism mixed in with the science and exploration. I have always assumed that that would not be enough to get everyone to be complicit in any hoax. A bit too much integrity, along with not enough secrecy and control to pull it off.

But what if the Soviets had announced they had done it first? They had the early advantage, but suffered from political stagnation and power struggles, and lost momentum. But what if they had been in a position to do it, and announced they had. Would they be believed? Could they be? Was that system capable of producing the requisite number of people complicit and keeping their mouths shut - again from patriotism, or from fear?

Was science and the importance of integrity more or less subverted in the USSR than in the USA? The apparatus of secrecy was certainly there - they didn't even announce things like Sputnik until they knew they had worked, and hid their disasters. They could have faked a moon landing. If it is not going to be believed anyway, then maybe they should have! d'oh! Whistle
Humble B'
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:35:47 PM

Neurons: 152,585
A clear indication that there is a fishy smell about the footage NASA showed us from men on the moon, is coming from NASA itself.
In 1964, that's 5 years before Apollo 11, NASA build a lunar gravity simulator to do experiments with man's movements in lunar gravity, which is about 1/6 of earth gravity.
These lunar gravity simulations are recorded and definitely worth to see. But if you compare these simulations with the Apollo footage, there is a good reason to believe that the moon has as much gravity as a filmstudio on earth.

Study of Man's Movement with a Space Suit in Lunar Gravity

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 11:30:49 AM

Neurons: 86,166
There are only ifs and buts about first step on moon by Neil Armstrong. There is no concrete scientific denial by any space organisation. An achievement, numero uno has not been controverted by any celebrated space scientist. Guessing is easier, proving is yeoman's effort. Foolish arguments, however strong, can never take the place of perfect and convincing evidence.
pedro
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2016 5:03:54 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Flying to the moon is not technologically more difficult than flying across the Pacific apart from the need to avoid your astronauts from being frazzled on re-entry. Computer simulations and better technology with heat resistant materials minimise these problems so I wonder why there are still doubters. Perhaps all those aeroplanes and helicopters in the sky are optical illusions too.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 12:37:50 PM

Neurons: 224,906
Nah! If you tried to fly to the moon, you'd hit the glass hemisphere which has the planets embedded in it . . .

thar
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 4:17:34 PM

Neurons: 90,875
I don't have a problem with the engineering - the rockets, the landers - that is logical, if impressive.

But just look at the Moon! I mean, can it look any more fake? It is clearly a flat disc, it is close enough for even a half-blind person like me to see detail, and sometimes they forget to put it away during the day.
And they only had the budget for one side. Whistle

I think they just needed something to explain the tides, because otherwise people would realise the water isn't going up and down - the land is. Something down there is breathing. In... Out..... In.......Out...........