mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Church and my brain Options
Penedo
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 11:25:30 AM

Neurons: 7,729
Someone, a good catholic, said:
"When I enter the church I have to leave my brain outside"

I aim to be a good catholic too and I feel the same. Someone wants to comment?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 11:43:04 AM

Neurons: 223,039
Penedo wrote:

Hello!

It seems that this is a common idea of the Catholic Church.

[image not available]

In my opinion, it is the same for most religions - the ones which simply say "This is the way it is" if you look and see anything else, you're wrong.

I am not saying that the Catholic Church is wrong, but the dogma of the catholic church and the dogma of the Episcopalians, and the dogma of the Shi'ite Muslims, and the dogma of the Russian Orthodox Christians, and the . . . cannot ALL be right - yet they are all "the word of God".
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 12:19:58 PM

Neurons: 599,082
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Penedo wrote:

Hello!

It seems that this is a common idea of the Catholic Church.

[image not available]

In my opinion, it is the same for most religions - the ones which simply say "This is the way it is" if you look and see anything else, you're wrong.

I am not saying that the Catholic Church is wrong, but the dogma of the catholic church and the dogma of the Episcopalians, and the dogma of the Shi'ite Muslims, and the dogma of the Russian Orthodox Christians, and the . . . cannot ALL be right - yet they are all "the word of God".

The Churches and their dogma are not the Word of God. Scripture is. A student of the Bible just needs his or her brain to read it and to decide which parts of it are worth believing. If you read the Bible with faith in God however, it will all mean something to you and you won't need the help of any Church, but you might well be able to help a Church come closer to God. Taking your brain into Church will be essential in this case.
tunaafi
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 2:21:15 PM

Neurons: 53,503
jacobusmaximus wrote:
The Churches and their dogma are not the Word of God. Scripture is.

If it's the word of God, it's a little surprising that it is so full of contradictions, and some pretty vile instructions.

Quote:
A student of the Bible just needs his or her brain to read it and to decide which parts of it are worth believing.

So, we can pick and choose the bits that suit us. Fair enough - that's what most believers seem to do.

Quote:
If you read the Bible with faith in God however, it will all mean something to you and you won't need the help of any Church,.

A lot of people read the Bible with faith in God, but they seem to draw out many different messages. You'd think that if there were a God, he/she/it would make the message a little more clear.
pedro
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 5:13:26 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Penedo wrote:

Did you leave your brain outside when you first 'aimed to be a good catholic'? Believing such irrational dogma pretty much prohibits you from joining in a rational discussion about most subjects. Is this peer pressure? Is it to please spouse or family?

Perhaps you could consider retaining some of the core humanity and dump the nonsense. You can love thy neighbour as thyself without the necessity of believing in transubstantiation, papal infallibility, three-in-ones, limbo (oh hang on, that was introduced by an infallible pope and annulled by another- not quite sure what that does to the poor unfortunates who didn't know about baptism) and supposedly error-free bible despite all of its obvious flaws and contradictions.

I would dump the dogma and retain your brain.
Penedo
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:01:27 AM

Neurons: 7,729
Thank you all that commented, I love to listen to ideas and feelings that complement mine.

I have faith and I feel that I could never understand and fully agree with what is, by nature, transcendental. The Church is not an association and God, the Gospel, Encyclicae are not the statutory rules. But I must (I feel internally compelled to) accept that, in eternal life, my dearest ones will not be nearest to me than people I do not feel any need to love, even if I pray for them.

I love my wife, my sons, my friends even people that I never talked to but I love anyway (like Pope Francis, for instance). But the former Pope, Benedict, is in a very different place in my heart. OK, I am attracted , by some people but not spontaneously by other, even by God itself... But I believe that God is the source of love, God IS love.

Love to you all