The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The spiritual side of life. Options
pljames
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 5:13:43 PM

Neurons: 15,207
How can one prove there is a spiritual side of life? One can change their mind and heart, could that be a spiritual side? Curious-Paul
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 3:05:22 AM

Neurons: 599,082
I think this is a good question, Paul. A spiritual life can be as straightforward as attending Church services and studying the Word of God while putting into practice what you learn (this is often called walking the walk).

On the other side of the coin is the life that is led by the Spirit (of God). I have friends who tell me (and I have no reason to doubt them) that their life is influenced by the working of the Spirit. What they say and do, where they go etc., is often directed by the Spirit of God. Sometimes what they feel directed to do or say is the exact opposite of their intentions or instincts. When they have been obedient to the prompting of the Holy Spirit, however, the results of their actions can be quite startling.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 8:32:38 AM

Neurons: 223,039
To actually answer your question, Paul - "How can one prove there is a spiritual side of life?" - it's very difficult.

By definition, 'spiritual' is not something you can measure in a physical way - no weight or size or physical heat.

Some people have sensed things which they feel are spiritual - but it is just their feeling. It may be true or not, no-one can say but the people themselves.

Some people deny any possibility of anything spiritual - they have never sensed anything which they feel is spiritual.
This may be true or not, no-one can say but the people themselves.

There is one demonstration which gives some idea, but it's not what you'd call "proof".

Close your eyes and look at a pet you used to have (or still have). Get the clearest picture you can.

OK. That picture is in your mind.

You were looking at that picture, so you are not your mind, you are outside the mind, looking at it.
You were not using your eyes, so you are not your body.
There must be a third bit - besides body and mind. This "I" is what people call the spirit.

Being 'spiritual' does not mean church or god or anything to do with organised religions.

Being Christian (a very different thing) is about being led by the "Spirit of God" and belief in the Bible and all that sort of thing.

Spirituality is simply working more on the non-physical side of your 'being'. Yourself, as separate from your body, if you have any perception of such a thing.
pljames
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 9:50:57 AM

Neurons: 15,207
Excellent answers both of you. I believe I have been touched by God twice, for I cannot explain the feelings in both experiences. No words were spoken, just the feelings and the sense of knowledge I felt. That is as close as I can came to explaining anything spiritual. It was a wonderful feeling.
Curious-Paul
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 9:29:14 AM

Neurons: 223,039
Good on you, Paul.

As you will see, you can't prove that you actually felt anything.
It can even be very difficult to explain what you feel.

However, you can know your own truth - the things which are true for you.