mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Even to observe neutrality you must have a strong government. Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 96,540
Even to observe neutrality you must have a strong government.

Alexander Hamilton (1755-1804)
Socrates13
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:09:36 AM

Neurons: 12
Tell that to Switzerland.

Bishop Desmond Tutu : " If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality."
MTC
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:54:31 AM

Neurons: 8,606
Some mouses "roar."
AJC
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:36:48 AM

Neurons: 2,436
Socrates, I have held true to your statement all of my life. I absolutely believe one cannot stand by and watch and claim neutrality in many,many situations. It emboldens a perpetrator.

I watched an interesting show recently on TV re: bullying. It was a set up with mean girls and then another one with mean boys. In a group setting, all it took was for one person (teens in this case) to speak up in defense of the one being targeted (picked on)to cause others to speak up too. It made ALL the difference in the situation and in that one (fat girl's & weak boy's) lives. I think this can easily be extrapolated into almost any situation.

Years ago there was a horrible story in the newspaper about a state fair. The heaviest pig contest was underweigh. Before the judging,one of the contestants was forcing his pig to fill up with water to increase his weight by sticking a hose down its' throat and turning it on full blast. The poor thing was screaming and died. This happened right in front of a crowd of people. Nobody even tried to stop this guy. The reporter who had heard of it was shocked. I heard about the article because two people in my circle called me to let me know that I should have been there. They said they knew that I would have been all over it. I, of course wondered why these same friends/family of mine,even in just a conversation about this animal abuse,didn't say that THEY would have put a stop to it. Can you picture all these onlookers just standing there watching and staying "neutral?"

(does the question mark go outside or inside of the quotes? I always forget)
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:44:38 AM

Neurons: 4,678
I think torture is a more heinous crime than murder...Cruelty to an animal in my book is about the same as torture to a human.
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:59:00 AM

Neurons: 4,678
Have we all at last become psychopaths--in that we can not respond as "human beings" to each other and to other life forms with empathy... compassion... with courage? Do we really not KNOW when to protect something/someone that is defenseless against some vile act cruelty? I suppose not. We are so mesmerized television we no longer have a brain that works.
Allynnh
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:11:27 PM

Neurons: 15
Weakness invites attack... there goes your neutrality!
jcbarros
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:40:57 PM

Neurons: 9,377
Psychos generally start their practice by torturing and killing animals. They who simply watch doing nothing, are no better. Scum of the Creation.Not talking
thar
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:10:49 PM

Neurons: 93,556
re the earlier points, about standing by, the old quotation is cliched now but it still resonates

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

(or, in the case of Swiss wartime neutrality, get very rich off everyone else's suffering.)

But it gets complicated, too. International politics: stand back and you are a callous self-preserver. Interfere and you are an aggressive arrogant provocateur. You really can't win.
Vickster
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:28:59 PM

Neurons: 7,211
I refuse to stand by and watch (animal/child abuse)... honestly... I can't figure out why or how people do "turn the other cheek??" Are they afraid? The problem with society is... if you turn your cheek on someone in desperate need of help...then the world will turn their cheek on you someday... (but those people will scream that no one helped them...) If we all stood strong against evil, hate and the powerful vs the weak, the innocent and the defenceless... we as a society would grow stronger...and not let them, those with no heart, win...

I've been punched in the face by grown men for standing up for what I believe in....and I'd do it again...

Sometimes all it takes is one person to stand up and defend what's right.. then others will follow...but it only takes that one person... be strong!!
GabhSigenod
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:45:39 PM

Neurons: 149,736
Neutrality in the face of distress and despair, I think not. At times we are "our brother's keeper".