The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

When did the Gospel die? Options
pljames
Posted: Friday, June 3, 2016 1:55:49 PM

Neurons: 15,207
I was told when Jesus and his disciples plus the converts died, the Gospel died as well and sin returned? I have a problem with that sentence? Curious Paul
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, June 4, 2016 6:26:04 AM

Neurons: 223,324
Hello Paul.

I'm not certain (I haven't heard the comment before) but I think it is referring to the fact that - at that time - nothing was recorded really. If you did not see it yourself, all you have is hearsay.

The disciples (those who actually heard him say something or saw what actually happened) - and the people the disciples actually told their story to - are the only ones who can actually know.

One can believe that some specific version of the Bible is total truth, but no-one can know.

Just look at the existing, accepted version. These are the specific words chosen by a bunch of editors working for King James VI - they dismissed several possible versions, choosing one which matched the way they (and the king) already thought.

And that was only ONE "editing" spree. Earlier, a council of bishops and 'scribes' threw out dozens of gospels (written by other disciples) because they did not match the purposes of those bishops. So King James only had a very depleted version to work with in the first place.

Just look at what we're left with:

And Jesus said to them, “How many loaves do you have?” They said, “Seven, and a few small fish.” - Matthew 15:34

And taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven and said a blessing over them. Then he broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples to set before the crowd. - Luke 9:16

So after the direct disciples - and those they had told the first-hand account to - had died, the gospel (what actually happened) had died too. It was gone.

ithink140
Posted: Saturday, June 4, 2016 8:35:15 AM

Neurons: 17,922
Jesus fed two crowds, Dragon... they are separate accounts.

Matthew 16:9,10(NIV)

9 Do you still not understand? Don’t you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 10 Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, June 4, 2016 11:30:52 AM

Neurons: 223,324
My apologies ithink.

I didn't do my homework well.

Oddly, that was pointed out to me as evidence of the difficulties of verbal transmission of data by one of my teachers (to explain other disagreements between different gospels) - he was a monk, or "brother" actually, of the "de la Salle" persuasion.
thar
Posted: Sunday, June 5, 2016 7:44:35 AM

Neurons: 90,347
I am totally unqualified to say anything about this (the OP about Jesus dying and sin returning) but isn't the central tenet of Christianity the resurrection of Jesus? His 'dying' is the whole point!
And giving the gospel to people (from various sources).
This statement doesn't sound like anything a Christian scholar would consider. Think