The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Interpretation of scripture. Options
pljames
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 3:07:19 PM

Neurons: 15,207
I am looking at the way scripture is interpreted. I have a English KJV bible. I feel when the scripture was created or copied the writers wrote in their language and not English. Is there a bible that has simple English words? Curious-One Paul
Epiphileon
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 4:58:28 AM

Neurons: 166,236
The Bible is not supposed to be interpreted. According to its own testimony it is the Word of God. If this God is as described in His Word, then it does not matter what version of the Bible you read, He will have ensured that the message He intended will still be there.

The Bible has indeed been translated many times, but as long as you are reading a translation and not a paraphrase, it must be reliable, (if it is true to begin with). In my experience though, obtaining a parallel New Testament that includes the original languages as well as one of the modern language versions, is very useful in getting a clearer picture of what was said and meant.

To be even more clear though you could obtain a Greek lexicon, to check on crucial words like "believe". There are a number of words that are translated to that English word, the one used in reference to salvation is far more severe than the English woed usually indicates.
leonAzul
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 3:29:35 PM

Neurons: 30,791
Epiphileon wrote:
The Bible is not supposed to be interpreted. According to its own testimony it is the Word of God. If this God is as described in His Word, then it does not matter what version of the Bible you read, He will have ensured that the message He intended will still be there.

The Bible has indeed been translated many times, but as long as you are reading a translation and not a paraphrase, it must be reliable, (if it is true to begin with). In my experience though, obtaining a parallel New Testament that includes the original languages as well as one of the modern language versions, is very useful in getting a clearer picture of what was said and meant.

To be even more clear though you could obtain a Greek lexicon, to check on crucial words like "believe". There are a number of words that are translated to that English word, the one used in reference to salvation is far more severe than the English woed usually indicates.

This is one point of view concerning the Bible. It is not shared by all "peoples of the book".

The plain but simple truth is that the original sources have been lost, and there have been a number of attempts to reconstruct them, always with one bias or another. Even Hebraïc versions of the Old Testament have been reconstructed, more or less reliably, from a Greek version, (Septuagint) because the authoritative version was destroyed. (The mnemonic devices of kabbala were an attempt to conserve the text, much like in Fahrenheit 451)

Lotje1000
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 4:54:13 PM

Neurons: 660,058
Epiphileon wrote:
If this God is as described in His Word, then it does not matter what version of the Bible you read, He will have ensured that the message He intended will still be there.

Does that include the "thou shalt commit adultery" version?
Epiphileon
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 1:25:58 PM

Neurons: 166,236
leonAzul wrote:

This is one point of view concerning the Bible. It is not shared by all "peoples of the book".

Yeah but it's the only right one. ;)

But seriously, when it comes to that matter of what is required to be reconciled to God, I still find this conclusion inescapable, without changing the nature of God, i.e. "According to its own testimony it is the Word of God. If this God is as described in His Word, then it does not matter what version of the Bible you read, He will have ensured that the message He intended will still be there."

It is after all the only thing we've had to go on for the last 2 millennia. If requirements for salvation have been misrepresented due to human error, then God has let a lot of people be duped.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:29:11 PM

Neurons: 599,082
pljames wrote:
I am looking at the way scripture is interpreted. I have a English KJV bible. I feel when the scripture was created or copied the writers wrote in their language and not English. Is there a bible that has simple English words? Curious-One Paul

I found it helpful to read 'The Living Bible (illustrated) together with the KJV (or the AV as we call it the UK). After a long period of study I was able to understand the AV better and didn't need The Living Bible, a plain language edition published by Tynedale House Publishers Wheaton, Illinois.