mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Frankenstein by Shelley Options
sarah111
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 3:03:03 PM

Neurons: 30
I hope you are fine

I have to do presentation about (Frankenstein) and there is no specific topic, I have to cover all the novel.

would you please provide me with (interesting ) topics?

many thanks
Epiphileon
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:11:11 PM

Neurons: 166,581
Have you read the book?
Christine
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:38:36 PM

Neurons: 15,842
jcbarros
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 8:25:25 PM

Neurons: 9,377
To allude to Young Frankenstein (the motion picture), may help you to distend the atmosphere tension. :)
HWNN1961
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 8:31:38 PM

Neurons: 9,763
jcbarros wrote:
To allude to Young Frankenstein (the motion picture), may help you to distend the atmosphere tension. :)

I saw that movie as a kid, and laughed so hard my sides hurt!

-the horses whinnying every time someone said "Frau Blucher".
-the monster doing soft shoe and singing "At The Ritz".
-The graveyard scene, Igor, looking on the bright side says "could be worse...could be raining". (Cloudburst ensues). I've recycled that line more times than I can recall.
-"What brain DID you get?"
"Abby"
"Abby, who..."
"Normal".

You get the idea....
Etcheparre
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 4:35:18 AM

Neurons: 1,925
Basically, you need to talk about Science and the dangers of abusing it; Dr. Frankenstein uses electricity, which in the early 19th century was like talking about nuclear fusion and space travel in 1910, in order to give life (galvanize).

So, the book is about a man who uses Science, electricity, in order to defy god, the only entity able to give Life. So the basic question is where does should Science stop? I always find it interesting to make parallels with current issues, so on this subject you can talk about human cloning, or stem cell research; Dr. Frankenstein did not have the "right" to defy God and create his own creature, and look what happened to him, so is the same fate reserved to us, should we pursue research in matter like nuclear fusion?

The second them is about Mankind and its inherent goodness or evilness; Frankenstein is a vile and repulsive creature, but is not evil by nature. After his "birth" he's left alone and tries to survive and hides in a cabin next to a house; through the rather thin walls he learns to speak, and if I recall correctly ties bonds of friendship with a blind old man who lives with his daughter. I don’t really remember the sub-plot but I believe the daughter leaves with her husband and whatnot, but the consequence of this is that the Creature leaves his “home” in order to find Dr. Frankenstein and have him create another Creature so that he wouldn’t have to live alone. This, in itself, is not an outrageous demand; the doctor gave life to him, it would be evil to have him live a life of loneliness and sorrow. The doctor refuses, and that’s when the Creature goes on a murderous rampage.

The basic question here is exposed is one of Rousseau’s famous quotes “Man is born pure it is society that corrupts him”. In other words, was the Creature evil because he was created evil, born a monster from parts of dead bodies, or did Dr. Frankenstein make it evil by having it lead a horrible life? You can open on criminality in our society: are criminals inherently evil and should be locked up for all eternity behind bars, or are social circumstances responsible for their actions, and would the same men and women, brought up in a more caring environment, still be criminals?

There are a lot more themes you can talk about, but in my opinion these are the two unavoidable ones.
GabhSigenod
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 5:39:17 AM

Neurons: 149,736
Just stick to the nuts and bolts.
Etcheparre
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 6:25:53 AM

Neurons: 1,925
GabhSigenod wrote:
Just stick to the nuts and bolts.

That works too!
Christine
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 9:56:55 AM

Neurons: 15,842
jcbarros wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_pKqiB5Rg&feature=related
Whos brain was it ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw2IIU0a9qw&feature=related

The first time I was this...I love it!! so funny

Rhondish
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 11:56:02 AM

Neurons: 787
I love the idea of lightening to subject by comparing with "Young Frankenstien".

If you have not read the book. Check out the film remake with Robert DeNiro. It is quite true to the novel, unlike the B & W film.

Also, if you wish to keep it serious, the author refers to Prometheus, in the title as well as within the novel. You could expand the comparison.

Another is to discuss Mary Shelley and the writing of the novel itself. If this is a Lit class, you can expand on her relationship with poets Lord Byron and Percy Shelley.
MTC
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 12:36:48 PM

Neurons: 8,606
Or you could try the experiment yourself...
sarah111
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 2:24:00 PM

thanks a lot for your help
I have just finished reading the novel

but I can not use young Frankenstein

your suggestions are
talk about

Mary Shelley and the writing of the novel itself.

a man who uses Science, electricity, in order to defy god,

Mankind and its inherent goodness or evilness;
Rousseau’s famous quotes “Man is born pure it is society that corrupts him”.

i am waiting for other suggestions
Drool
gradyone
Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2011 1:14:31 AM

Neurons: 12,277
sarah111 wrote:
I have just finished reading the novel

i am waiting for other suggestions
Drool

Sarah, If you thought of current events in genetic engineering while reading Mary Shelley's novel, there are some interesting contrasts and comparisons you could make between the ethical stance of Victor Frankenstein and contemporary scientists. Mary Shelley said she wanted to tell a story that would "speak to the mysterious fears of our nature and awaken thrilling horror." Many people question the ethics of mammalian genetic engineering because they know all too well that we are right to fear our nature. That idea could be developed, as well, as an opposition to Rousseau's belief in the inherent goodness of human beings.

It's important to do your research along the lines of subjects and debate points that you are passionate about. In the end, have fun writing your paper!
sarah111
Posted: Wednesday, March 9, 2011 4:23:44 PM

many thanks

could you please check these lines (i mean the structure)

The origins of the novel:
There two opinion about writing Frankenstein

1- It was just a competition between Mary and her friends to write a ghost story. After that she had a nightmare from which she inspired the story.

2- The other opinion is that her husband’s friend Dr. James Lind experimented with animal electricity, in which he animated dead frogs by applying electrical currents to the muscles. Then Mary Shelley decided to invent Frankenstein who can create the creature.

i'm waiting for your help