mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
For in the final analysis, our most basic common link, is that we all inhabit this small planet, we all breathe the same air,... Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 99,048
For in the final analysis, our most basic common link, is that we all inhabit this small planet, we all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's futures, and we are all mortal.

John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
Free Mind
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:14:52 AM

Neurons: 15
that's is absolutely correct!
after all, this planet is just one of billions in this universe and we don't even know what the universe is. we are the most intelligent species on our planet, yet we are not able to live in peace..
qpjulia
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:40:32 AM

Neurons: 3
True... but the descriptions are very broad. Its like saying "... and we are all mammals!" it's like duhh.... its easy to describe the human race in a few general statements. Here's my rendition....

"We all have hair, were have brains, and they're not as big as one would think."

ooooohhh wow soo deep.
Free Mind
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:53:09 AM

are you by any chance a fan of douglas adams or terry pratchett?
i'm asking because you got the same ironic subtext.

correct me if i am wrong but everything i said is true. i am sorry but it can hardly get any deeper than my first comment did...
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:53:41 AM

Neurons: 63,022
I wonder if Plankton worries about it's children's future.
Free Mind
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 8:21:03 AM

probably more than some humans do...

boaaahhh that was deep
MTC
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:00:52 AM

Neurons: 8,606
A quotation from someone other than Flaubert! It appears yesterday's insurrection complete with public lynching of Flaubert brought a concession from the authorities (Daemon). Have events in the Middle East fanned the flames of revolution in cyberspace?

As for President Kennedy's quotation, his words helped inspire a generation of global Green concern. They look so prescient in hindsight. The iconic cover of the Whole Earth Catalog says it all. http://click.si.edu/Story.aspx?story=31

Cat
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:13:07 AM

Neurons: 194,017
qpjulia said: We all have hair, were have brains, and they're not as big as one would think.

I don't get your point.
jcbarros
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:55:36 AM

Neurons: 13,086
That´s ok... and?Eh?
thar
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:04:41 AM

Neurons: 96,171
Don't you two start, we have two newbies with 4 posts between them who are already arguing. That must be a record!
RuthP
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:11:45 AM

Neurons: 87,618
The words of the quote are more significant than hair and brains. Placed in context, they become . . . well, you decide.

This quotation is from a commencement address given at American University in 1963. Those who are old enough may remember that we had had the Cuban Missile Crisis in October, 1962. We came very close to nuclear Armageddon.

The source was a little hard to find, because the quote is incorrectly punctuated. Here it is from the Kennedy library:
Quote:
For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal.

The entire speech is here: Kennedy Library: American University commencement speech, along with a link to an audio recording.
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:34:45 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Apparently, however, some of us breathe chemtrails.
Free Mind
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 11:01:22 AM

thar wrote:
Don't you two start, we have two newbies with 4 posts between them who are already arguing. That must be a record!

she started! haha just kidding.

well, we all are just animals. we need to fight in order to satisfy our needs such as food, space and having sex. how about that? too ignorant?
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 11:22:32 AM

Neurons: 4,678
To Free Mind:

"that's is absolutely correct!
after all, this planet is just one of billions in this universe and we don't even know what the universe is. we are the most intelligent species on our planet, yet we are not able to live in peace.."

Yes,the ability to live in peace does seem to be one of the most basic problems man has. If we cannot even live in *families* in peace--where in my opinion peace is learned, how can we expect to have the ability to live in peace as citizens of this planet or co-exist with other members of the universe?

As Kitten would say: Peace out! Yea
GabhSigenod
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 12:11:24 PM

Neurons: 149,736
For in the final analysis, our most common basic link, we bicker.
Jai Majala
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:03:12 PM

Neurons: 246
qpjulia wrote:
True... but the descriptions are very broad. Its like saying "... and we are all mammals!" it's like duhh.... its easy to describe the human race in a few general statements. Here's my rendition....

"We all have hair, were have brains, and they're not as big as one would think."

ooooohhh wow soo deep.

This is awesome.

Cat wrote:
qpjulia said: We all have hair, were have brains, and they're not as big as one would think.

I don't get your point.

That's his point.
Free Mind
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 3:51:46 AM

Marissa La Faye Isolde wrote:
To Free Mind:

"that's is absolutely correct!
after all, this planet is just one of billions in this universe and we don't even know what the universe is. we are the most intelligent species on our planet, yet we are not able to live in peace.."

Yes,the ability to live in peace does seem to be one of the most basic problems man has. If we cannot even live in *families* in peace--where in my opinion peace is learned, how can we expect to have the ability to live in peace as citizens of this planet or co-exist with other members of the universe?

As Kitten would say: Peace out! Yea

that's a good point, marissa!
but i'm afraid the problem is rather difficult. as i said before, all animals are forced to fight to satisfy their needs. that's all natural. but nowadays we humans have reached a point, where we need to ask ourselves if we still want to listen to our instinct and keep on fighting against each other or if we want to reach the next level of evolution: the (r)evolution of our mindsets. we need to rethink our instincts and melt together to one big family. this is the only way for us, as species, to survive. if we fail, we will destroy ourselves and everyone who is close to us.
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:59:40 PM

Neurons: 4,678
To Free Mind:

I think you have a good point as well. Fortunately the one saving grace we have as humans is our ability to define ourselves. And I believe that we define ourselves moment by moment by the choices we make that govern our personal lives.