The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The general root of superstition is that men observe when things hit, and not when they miss; and commit to memory the one,... Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,557
The general root of superstition is that men observe when things hit, and not when they miss; and commit to memory the one, and forget and pass over the other.

Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
bogdanno
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 3:58:21 AM

Neurons: 1,128
That's a correct statistical observation. There's a story of Richard Feynman about this:
" One day when Feynman was an undergraduate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology he was typing a paper on philosophy, and suddenly there came into his mind a powerful impression that his grandmother had just died. Immediately after that the telephone rang. The call was for someone else. Nothing was wrong with his grandmother. The point is, of course, that you cannot judge the possibility of clairvoyance unless you take into account all the times when it did not work."
MiTziGo
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 8:01:13 AM

Neurons: 6,142
I must admit that I am one of the people FB is talking about. Even when I know, logically, that my superstition is merely that, a superstition, I can't shake the feeling that it has some bearing on my life and the outcomes of my actions.