The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Scripture Options
pljames
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 11:00:11 AM

Neurons: 15,207
I am back to reading scripture again, but it seems to much for me to understand. One word or sentence will in some cases give the reader questions, like me to answer. Is there a bible or a book that talk about when reading scripture describes what the person is saying in a understanding way? I am overwhelmed with to much scripture. Paul Curious-One
jesusandmo
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 11:54:35 AM

Neurons: 816
Just do what everyone else does; dodge the barbarous and ridiculous bits, skim the boring bits and project your own meaning onto anything that's left.

jacobusmaximus
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 1:59:36 PM

Neurons: 599,082
Paul, you should regard jesusandmo's post as a joke - a bad one.

There are Bibles written in plain English - 'The Way' is one, and there are commentaries that will help your understanding of the Word of God. But the best way is to be part of a Church Fellowship where there is a teacher, or teachers who can usually (but not always) tell you what you want to know.
Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:24:29 AM

Neurons: 660,058
A lot of scripture is interpretation. I advise you interpret it in a way that makes sense to you and maybe discuss it with others.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:42:08 AM

Neurons: 599,082
Lotje1000 wrote:
A lot of scripture is interpretation. I advise you interpret it in a way that makes sense to you and maybe discuss it with others.

I agree with Lotje, but I would say certainly discuss your interpretation with others.
Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:44:54 AM

Neurons: 660,058
jacobusmaximus wrote:
I agree with Lotje, but I would say certainly discuss your interpretation with others.

Good point.

Discussion will broaden your perspectives. You might not agree with everyone else (and indeed, you shouldn't try to agree with everyone) but it's worthwhile to see what they think. It might open up new avenues of thought.
jesusandmo
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 5:59:13 AM

Neurons: 816
jacobusmaximus wrote:
Paul, you should regard jesusandmo's post as a joke - a bad one.

There are Bibles written in plain English - 'The Way' is one, and there are commentaries that will help your understanding of the Word of God. But the best way is to be part of a Church Fellowship where there is a teacher, or teachers who can usually (but not always) tell you what you want to know.

No joke, just sound advice. It's what every theist I've ever encountered does, you included.

You say discuss scripture as part of a Church Fellowship, but which 'flavour'?
Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Assyrian Church, Protestant, Anglican, Baptist, Anabaptist, Lutheran, Unitarian, Trinitarian, Calvinist, Seventh-day Adventist, Presbyterian, Methodist, Pentecostal, Mormon, Jehovah’s Witness, Christian Science, Quaker..? that's just off the top of my head, and doesn't include any of the numerous further subdivisions... and assumes you've actually picked (in reality, were born into) the correct religion at all and ignores countless volumes of non-Christian scripture and myth.

According to the Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, there were 43,000 Christian denominations worldwide in 2012, up from 500 in 1800 and 39,000 in 2008 and this number is expected to grow to 55,000 by 2025.

The consensus on God's message has become less clear – or at least more divided – in the last 2000 years. This has happened while literacy rates have gone up and scope for communication has broadened... reading and discussing Scripture, it seems, does more harm than good – unless division and ambiguity is all part of our (supposed) omniscient deity's plan.

And this is not over some trivial subjective opinion like 'Best Read of 2016?', or Ronaldo or Messi?, or 'what the heck was Donnie Darko all about?' At the heart of this division and ambiguity is (supposedly) the issue of eternal Salvation or Damnation.

The way the majority of theists reconcile their religion with the real world is to skim and project their own meaning. And, of course, there are also some Christians who use the Bible to justify barbarous and ridiculous beliefs; suggesting they dodged those bits seems like good advice to me... and far from a joke.