The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Unfamiliar words Options
smithdoi
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 11:06:13 PM

Neurons: 3
Is there a way to start a chat/room/whatever about ONLY unfamiliar words? Because it SOOOO irks me when I come across a word I do not know and cannot find. Typically, it is because someone (author) has made up a word or words they prefer over words that actually exist. So, if anyone knows of a way to start a chat/discussion, whatever, devoted to new and different words, please tell me. I'd love to be a part of that. In the interim, if anyone is familiar with any of the following words, I'd love to know that as well. Note: I am certain the spellings are correct (as seen in whatever text I found them) and I have been unable to locate a definition or, in most cases, even an alternate usage. So, here they are.

Carthegenesis
Unquious
Terricolous

Thanks for your support.

aldi09
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 2:56:03 PM

Neurons: 48
I am not familiar with any of these words. I have found a definition for a word terricolous. I have three premium dictionaries but two first words cannot be found in them. Your idea is good.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:30:34 PM

Neurons: 3,101
smithdoi wrote:
Is there a way to start a chat/room/whatever about ONLY unfamiliar words? Because it SOOOO irks me when I come across a word I do not know and cannot find. Typically, it is because someone (author) has made up a word or words they prefer over words that actually exist. So, if anyone knows of a way to start a chat/discussion, whatever, devoted to new and different words, please tell me. I'd love to be a part of that. In the interim, if anyone is familiar with any of the following words, I'd love to know that as well. Note: I am certain the spellings are correct (as seen in whatever text I found them) and I have been unable to locate a definition or, in most cases, even an alternate usage. So, here they are.

Carthegenesis
Unquious
Terricolous

Thanks for your support.

terricolous (adj.)

Living on or in the ground: terricolous worms.

That's the definition offered for 'terricolous' by TFD. So that one was easy !

I also thought about the root words in the words. 'Terre' or similar variations of it in spelling usually mean 'earth.' That's the French word for 'earth.' The word 'pomme de terre' means 'potato' but literally translates to 'apple of earth,' as in, from the ground.

The other two I could not find listed on TFD.

early_apex
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 11:45:27 AM

Neurons: 12,855
prolixitysquared wrote:

I also thought about the root words in the words. 'Terre' or similar variations of it in spelling usually mean 'earth.' That's the French word for 'earth.' The word 'pomme de terre' means 'potato' but literally translates to 'apple of earth,' as in, from the ground.

When I met someone from France, I had to ask him what they call "French Fries" in France. His answer: "pomme frits", which, of course means fried apples, which they are not. Usually, they just call them "frits", which corresponds to our terminology of "fries", with potatoes implied.
ssf
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:59:33 AM

Neurons: 192
I can't help with definitions, but I think I've seen uniquious before. In my spare time I like to go to freerice.com, a vocabulary site. They have some pretty obscure words. Supposedly the higher your score, the more rice they send to starving countries.
fred
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:22:12 AM

Neurons: 4,457
smithdoi wrote:

Carthegenesis
Unquious
Terricolous

Thanks for your support.

Carthegenesis
Hispania (redirected from Carthaginiensis)?
valenarwen
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 10:19:35 AM

Neurons: 1,025
early_apex wrote:
prolixitysquared wrote:

When I met someone from France, I had to ask him what they call "French Fries" in France. His answer: "pomme frits", which, of course means fried apples, which they are not. Usually, they just call them "frits", which corresponds to our terminology of "fries", with potatoes implied.

"pomme" means both apple AND potato... it's short for "pomme de terre"