The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A special golden ager Options
Mr.19
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 6:45:16 AM

Neurons: 266
Hey, mate. How do you describe a golden ager who asks for special treatment although his only differecce or advantage over other people is his/her age? Senile people in China are usually respected, of which, yet, some of them might take advantage and ignore good demeanors, and show no respect for others
RuthP
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 10:38:24 AM

Neurons: 87,618
Mr.19,

While senile/senescence can be used in the sense of "old" and is used that way in scientific journals, that is not the understanding in daily English.

Someone who is senile does not have full mental faculties and would not be trying to take advantage of another, but rather - like a child - would not understand he or she was asking for more than fair or for special treatment.

I would point out that some people at any age fail to show appropriate demeanor, good manners, and thoughtfulness. The excuses for such behavior vary; age (young or old) may be used as an excuse, as may social status, ethnic background, education (or lack thereof).

I doubt the behavior you are seeing is unique to the old. You have noticed this in some old people and therefore are associating the behavior with age. I would associate the behavior with the person.

I will also note that truly old people have had a lifetime of making contributions; perhaps it is time we do give them a little extra respect.
Mr.19
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 11:11:04 AM

RuthP, the word "senile" which is not le mot juste I wanna use must have misled you into thinking I'm describing someone losing his cognitive abilities. I'm sorry for that. A tyro I am, not a maestro writer. I just want to say "old people".
jcbarros
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 11:49:44 AM

Neurons: 9,122
The worse expressed attitudes are those of the adolescent people. Old agers and handicapped persons are simply angry with the world.
Isaac Samuel
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 1:09:59 PM

Neurons: 1,222
The older people "Seniors," as we call them in the US, are generally munificent in their givings, be it's verbal or in kind. It is not a zero sum game when you give up something for Seniors.The benefits have only been mutual even though the demeanor is varied.
Investigator
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 4:15:22 PM

Neurons: 2,961
To quote an old grave marker, "As you are now so once was I. As I am now so shall you be." Don't forget that, providing things go well, we all get old. Threat them as you will want to be treated when you arrive at that station.
kitten
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 4:59:35 PM

Neurons: 7,420
Investigator wrote:
To quote an old grave marker, "As you are now so once was I. As I am now so shall you be." Don't forget that, providing things go well, we all get old. Threat them as you will want to be treated when you arrive at that station.

Investigator,Anxious

Thank you for the above post. >^,,^<
lemonk
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 5:59:22 PM

Neurons: 642
kitten wrote:
Investigator wrote:

Investigator,Anxious

Thank you for the above post. >^,,^<

Agreed, as we should treat everyone.
Mr.19
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:17:27 AM

Hi, everybody. Is there any phrase to depict the specific godlden ager aforementioned?How about brazen golden ager? I mean no disrespect for the golden agers as a whole.
Ray41
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:42:27 AM

Neurons: 45,980
Mr.19
Would you please tell me at what age people are generally referred to as in the "golden age"?

Also, at what age 'do you think' people reach the status of "golden ager"?.

This would be greatly appreciated as it would give us some idea of the age group you are referring to.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:58:27 AM

Neurons: 587,447
The Old Norse word gullaldr (literally "Golden Age") was used in Völuspá to describe the period after Ragnarök where the surviving gods and their progeny build the city Gimlé on the ruins of Asgard.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 8:30:37 AM

Neurons: 604,726
A 'Golden Ager', in my experience, is one who has reached an age when they need little, ask for nothing and are going to leave everything to their children.
Ray41
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:28:02 AM

Neurons: 45,980
jacobusmaximus wrote;

A'Golden Ager', in my experience, is one who has reached an age when they need little, ask for nothing and are going to leave everything to their children.

Not in OZ they are notApplause Applause .
There are thumping great Winnebago motor homes driving around, and written on the back in LARGE letters is,
____________'WE ARE SPENDING OUR KIDS INHERITANCE',Dancing Dancing Dancing __________________________
Seeker
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:22:06 PM

Neurons: 1,715
jcbarros wrote:
The worse expressed attitudes are those of the adolescent people. Old agers and handicapped persons are simply angry with the world.

I beg to disagree. While that may be true of some old agers and handicapped persons, that is a severe generalization. Most of the "elderly" (my Grandmom made me use that term) and Seniors I know, are happy to be older, especially because of all the changes they have witnessed over the years. They are happy to be alive, grateful to wake up every day, and have learned to live in the flow. If they appear to be "brazen" or in a hurry, it's because they have less time left to them.

So respect your elders. As Investigator said, "Don't forget that, providing things go well, we all get old. Treat them as you will want to be treated when you arrive at that station."