mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
No brain washing please... Options
wercozy
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:45:39 PM

Neurons: 3,480
16 hours ago Republicans passed a bill that would stop funding for Public Broadcasting. If the Senate follows suit and president Obama signs it into law, that means we will be getting our news from infotainers like Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, Sean Hannity, and other Bozos.

Can the rich and privileged few stop trying to control the masses? No, they cannot. It's time to be counted and make yourself heard. The freedom train is sweeping across the world. Those of us in America might as well hop on board.
Christina Marlowe
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:51:20 PM

A Look Back on the 2008 Presidential Race...for Clarity's Sake:
On the Apparent Stupidity of Americans...

By Christina Marlowe
September, 2008

As of today, Wednesday, 17 September, 2008, citizens of the United States have lost over a TRILLION dollars in THREE DAYS and the presidential race is STILL tight; What can any one person POSSIBLY, LOGICALLY, RATIONALLY, CONCEIVABLY conclude from THIS fact ALONE?!?!? I'll TELL you: AT LEAST HALF of the people in this GODFORSAKEN country, AMERICA, are ACTUALLY STILL FAVORING the REPUBLICAN PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just how many times do these people have to get SHAMELESSLY, UNABASHEDLY and UTTERLY RAPED by this party?!?!?! I am embarrassed and ashamed for each and every one of these TOTAL MORONS in their COMPLETE and TOTAL ABJECT stupidity.

Which brings me to my next point: as this man, McCain, unseeingly stares out from under the notes and/or speeches that someone ELSE has written for him; as this man proceeds to stutter the words that he is INDEED a MAVERICK; as he is looking on in UNCOMPREHENDING and STUPEFIED WONDER at every horrible and ghastly thing that is happening in our country, indeed, around the world, we must come to THE CONCLUSION that, BEYOND ANY REASONABLE DOUBT, the mere IDEA that ANYONE is even considering voting for this man, McCain, flies in the face of anything even RESEMBLING human intelligence. (Never mind the worthless, ignorant white trash running mate)

IT IS OBVIOUS that this man, McCain, FAILS COMPLETELY in any rudimentary understanding of ANY policies, foreign OR domestic!!!!!! So, what is one to conclude from the fact that people are still going to vote for him!?!! McCain HIMSELF (let alone these stupid, filthy Republicans) must be one of only two things: 1.) an unforgivably stupid moron, or 2.) a greedy, selfish, stingy, hoarding, power-mongering, myopic, incredibly shortsighted and despicably unconscious. In a word: SOCIOPATH. "THE FUNDAMENTALS OF THE U.S. ECONOMY ARE STRONG," McCain chokes out as the crowd of pleased Republicans nod their empty heads in unthinking, uncomprehending agreement. The FACT of the matter is this: McCain and his Republican cohorts have been and still are, absolutely STALWART, STAUNCH AND UNBENDING PROPONENTS for each and every piece of legislation propelling DEREGULATION of US industries, opening the floodgates for titanic corporate whoredoms completely run amok, hell bent on and succeeding heartily in GOVERNMENT TAKEOVER.

Let's be PERFECTLY CLEAR: For the ENTIRE twenty-six years that McCain has been in the U.S. Senate, DEREGULATING INDUSTRY has been among his ONLY so-called accomplishments. McCain and his REPUBLICAN counterparts have been AND STILL ARE DIRECTLY and IRREFUTABLY responsible for the current maelstrom and the DEEP debacle of our ENTIRE economy. LEARN HISTORY YOU MORONS: Beginning with the deregulation and consequential and destructive fragmentation of the industries of banking, health care, telecommunications, airlines, etc., etc., to the deregulation and (witness) decimation of the industries of banking, ET AL, the REPUBLICANS, THAT PARTY in which JOHN MCCAIN IS A LIFETIME MEMBER, ARE THE ONES RESPONSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As for the VOTERS that cast their lot with the GOP:
all the stupid crackers and poor white trash and all the amazingly idiotic and backward jackelopes (i.e. black, hispanic, gay REPUBLICAN FLUNKIES, LACKEYS, STOOGES, DUPES) that vote for the CORPORATIONS AND POLITICAL WHORES, i.e. against their own self interests, you are easy and stupid marks for the corporate titans and the devils that sell their own souls; ALL THESE MORONS HAVE TO HEAR TO VOTE DIRECTLY AGAINST THEMSELVES ARE THE FOLLOWING TWO WORDS: "GOD" and "GUNS." Blithering idiots, you have no one to blame but yourselves...

Furthermore, these bought and paid-for politicians, the Republicans specifically, in their flagrant pandering and shameless whoring to the big-money lobbyists that work day and night for passing legislation that the lobby groups of these same industries, are looking out for ONE THING and ONE THING ONLY: THEMSELVES. And, by the way, make no mistake about this, either: the wealthy, ruling Republicans want to KEEP IT THAT WAY!!!!! THEY want to keep the citizenry as shamelessly misinformed, brainwashed and brainless as possible. (IT IS UNGODLY).

So, what EXACTLY does it TAKE to understand that the only people that benefit from the philosophy, views, legislation, etc. of the Republican party are the SUPER, ULTRA WEALTHY RULING ELITE!!!!!!!!! The MIDDLE CLASS-NOW WORKING POOR people get NOTHING (except maybe their TWISTED, LOATHSOME and GODFORSAKEN notions of "GOD," along with their INTENSELY INSECURE and IRRATIONAL NEED TO OWN GUNS and to have too many CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!) What more evidence does one need that will convince people that this is ALL WRONG!?!?! REPUBLICANS ARE WICKED and there is NO EXCUSE to be one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEREFORE, if you are among the struggling and suffering classes, through this quagmire of a TRULY VILE war (war of pure deception) and you are among the poor huddled masses, wading through the utter disintegration of the entire US economy and you voted for BUSH, you have NO ONE TO BLAME BUT YOURSELVES!!!!!! I have NO SYMPATHY WHATSOEVER!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU PEOPLE HAVE DONE THIS TO YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!! IT IS YOUR FAULT FOR VOTING THIS MORON, BUSH, INTO THE PRESIDENCY!!!!!!!!! NOT ONCE, BUT TWICE!!!!!!!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE...like a KAFKA novel or worse.

Additionally (and quite alarmingly) the Republicans seem to be breeding much more aggressively (to wit, the ignorant slut SARA PALIN); And at a time in the world that overpopulation has never been more serious a problem. And the fact that they insist on raising the most incredibly ignorant, uneducated, increasingly dull, dim-witted, unthinking, unquestioning, well...BLITHERING IDIOTS!!! Just like BUSH!!! If THIS is what CREATIONISM means--TOTAL AND WILLFUL IGNORANCE AND DENIAL OF FACTS--and don't forget, it's the REPUBLICANS that favor teaching THAT to children in PUBLIC SCHOOLS); If THAT is really what they believe, I think that I have proven my point. At least HALF of ALL AMERICANS are COMPLETELY and IRREDEEMABLY STUPID. Now go to church and pray and shoot your filthy automatic weapons , you unforgivably stupid morons. Thanks a lot for RUINING THE WORLD!!!

Christina Marlowe
Investigator
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:49:50 PM

Neurons: 2,961
wercozy wrote:
16 hours ago Republicans passed a bill that would stop funding for Public Broadcasting. If the Senate follows suit and president Obama signs it into law, that means we will be getting our news from infotainers like Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, Sean Hannity, and other Bozos.

Can the rich and privileged few stop trying to control the masses? No, they cannot. It's time to be counted and make yourself heard. The freedom train is sweeping across the world. Those of us in America might as well hop on board.

Wercozy, seriously, what are the odds that Obama will sign that?

Oh, and Christina how is that change working out for you? It has totally screwed us in Nevada.
excaelis
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:16:44 PM

Neurons: 32,652
I'm sure Investigator is right. If not, I'll be looking for the cloven hooves next time Barry O is on TV !
kitten
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:23:26 PM

Neurons: 7,420
I have been waiting for this d'oh! .....I stated this was coming on a previous thread.

It has been the sick, sad goal of the Republicans to dismantle PBS. I wish the news media would dig a little deeper and tell the story of how and when this started so many years ago. Let's try thirty years ago.

No one asked President Nixon to authorize the 'Watergate' break-in, try to cover it up, tape record people and try to kill people, bribe people and destroy records and lie about it under oath Liar Liar .........this President and his cronies did this all on their own------for their own petty reasons. Not even realizing or caring that they were breaking the law. Boo hoo! Shhh Silenced

And PBS, thankfully, showed it from gavel to gavel.

Oh, the shame, Oh, the horror. Oh, the destruction of some group who chooses to show and tell the truth. Shhh Silenced

peace out, >^,,^<
RuthP
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:42:25 PM

Neurons: 87,618
As Senator Reid said, following the House vote:
Quote:
Now that House Republicans have gotten this vote out of their system, I hope they will drop the threats of shutting down the government and work with the Senate on responsible cuts that allow our nation's economic recovery to continue. By bringing $41 billion in cuts to the table, nearly half of the House Republican proposal, Democrats are demonstrating a good faith effort to reduce the deficit and prevent a government shut down. It's time for Republicans to do the same.

Democrats believe we should make smart cuts – cuts that target waste and excess, not slash the programs that keep us safe and keep our economy growing. By eliminating 65,000 educators and 800 border security agents, the Republican budget does not fit the bill.

Struggling families in Nevada and across the country cannot afford the consequences of a shutdown, which could mean no Social Security checks for seniors, fewer agents on the border and no paychecks for our troops. I hope cooler heads will prevail, and Republicans will come to the table to work with Democrats on a responsible path forward that cuts spending without sacrificing more than a million jobs.

excaelis
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:44:21 PM

Hey guys! Some words of encouragement from Uncle Leonard...

It's coming through a hole in the air,
from those nights in Tiananmen Square.
It's coming from the feel
that this ain't exactly real,
or it's real, but it ain't exactly there.
From the wars against disorder,
from the sirens night and day,
from the fires of the homeless,
from the ashes of the gay:
Democracy is coming to the U.S.A.
It's coming through a crack in the wall;
on a visionary flood of alcohol;
from the staggering account
of the Sermon on the Mount
which I don't pretend to understand at all.
It's coming from the silence
on the dock of the bay,
from the brave, the bold, the battered
heart of Chevrolet:

It's coming from the sorrow in the street,
the holy places where the races meet;
from the homicidal bitchin'
that goes down in every kitchen
to determine who will serve and who will eat.
From the wells of disappointment
where the women kneel to pray
for the grace of God in the desert here
and the desert far away:

Sail on, sail on
O mighty Ship of State!
To the Shores of Need
Past the Reefs of Greed
Through the Squalls of Hate
Sail on, sail on, sail on, sail on.

It's coming to America first,
the cradle of the best and of the worst.
It's here they got the range
and the machinery for change
and it's here they got the spiritual thirst.
It's here the family's broken
and it's here the lonely say
that the heart has got to open
in a fundamental way:

It's coming from the women and the men.
O baby, we'll be making love again.
We'll be going down so deep
the river's going to weep,
and the mountain's going to shout Amen!
It's coming like the tidal flood
beneath the lunar sway,
imperial, mysterious,
in amorous array:

Sail on, sail on ...

I'm sentimental, if you know what I mean
I love the country but I can't stand the scene.
And I'm neither left or right
I'm just staying home tonight,
getting lost in that hopeless little screen.
But I'm stubborn as those garbage bags
that Time cannot decay,
I'm junk but I'm still holding up
this little wild bouquet:

Mind you, PBS is about the only place in the U.S. you can still hear him...

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:29:49 PM

Neurons: 599,134
Ask the Russian leaders how did they manage to cut down all the government costs 1991.
Christina Marlowe
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:07:40 PM

The systemic change, concrete CHANGE, in this godawful and backward system of governance by the privileged few, the CHANGE that I thought I had voted for by casting my lot with Obama certainly is lacking, I admit. I am confounded at times as to whether Obama is just another silver-tongued CON MAN or if he has something up his sleeve. I wait and wait; I am not too pleased. I take great comfort, however, in knowing that if the ship's going down, I'm gonna fight the filthy mother@#$%*s IN STYLE...

Christina Marlowe
Christina Marlowe
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:47:25 PM

Investigator wrote:
wercozy wrote:

Oh, and Christina how is that change working out for you? It has totally screwed us in Nevada.

Let me answer you this way:

One of my longtime and most fervent desires, a fantasy, really, is to literally drop Rush Limbaugh (or any one of those types for they are virtually interchangeable); to drop him smack dab in the poorest and roughest ghetto in America--any large city such as the toughest neighborhood in Harlem, say, or in South Central Los Angeles. Drop him right in the middle of a busy and wretchedly destitute neighborhood; then I could REVEL in watching his gigantic and idiotic ego DEFLATE AT ONCE, swiftly and mercilessly; and I could delight like a child on Christmas Eve in witnessing his fat, entirely empty and meaningless bravado immediately disappear, VAPORIZE, only to GLARINGLY reveal his TRUE NOTHINGNESS; and I could sip a glass of my favorite red wine whilst sitting back comfortably and observing his ARROGANT SWAGGER and BRAINLESS BLUSTER thoroughly escape through his OVERLY-USED ANUS, as he then MORPHS,
IN FRONT OF MY VERY EYES, into NOTHING but a PETRIFIED WIMP, a petulant CRY BABY and, ultimately, utterly helpless and SCREWED WINDBAG that he and all the others are in REALITY...they, every last one of them (AND THEY ARE ALL EXACTLY THE SAME) are UTTERLY Worthless, worse than useless BITS OF TRASH...nothing more. The trick is elementary: simply throw A TON OF MONEY at the stupid, self-absorbed [infant] monkey and...ENJOY THE SHOW.

THAT is only ONE of MANY amusing (and rather thrilling) ways that I myself employ to keep myself going every day...

Cheers,

Christ...ina Marlowe
GabhSigenod
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:15:53 AM

Neurons: 149,736
I sense much hostility in North America.
boneyfriend
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:17:18 AM

Neurons: 10,546
Yes, we're pissed about the nerve of the House not funding PBS.
mllwpbfl
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:18:58 AM

Neurons: 48
Please get involved to save Public Broadcasting from the Republican's "axe."

http://www.170millionamericans.org/take-action

Investigator
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:20:24 PM

Neurons: 2,961
Christina Marlowe wrote:
Investigator wrote:
wercozy wrote:

Let me answer you this way:

One of my longtime and most fervent desires, a fantasy, really, is to literally drop Rush Limbaugh (or any one of those types for they are virtually interchangeable); to drop him smack dab in the poorest and roughest ghetto in America--any large city such as the toughest neighborhood in Harlem, say, or in South Central Los Angeles. Drop him right in the middle of a busy and wretchedly destitute neighborhood; then I could REVEL in watching his gigantic and idiotic ego DEFLATE AT ONCE, swiftly and mercilessly; and I could delight like a child on Christmas Eve in witnessing his fat, entirely empty and meaningless bravado immediately disappear, VAPORIZE, only to GLARINGLY reveal his TRUE NOTHINGNESS; and I could sip a glass of my favorite red wine whilst sitting back comfortably and observing his ARROGANT SWAGGER and BRAINLESS BLUSTER thoroughly escape through his OVERLY-USED ANUS, as he then MORPHS,
IN FRONT OF MY VERY EYES, into NOTHING but a PETRIFIED WIMP, a petulant CRY BABY and, ultimately, utterly helpless and SCREWED WINDBAG that he and all the others are in REALITY...they, every last one of them (AND THEY ARE ALL EXACTLY THE SAME) are UTTERLY Worthless, worse than useless BITS OF TRASH...nothing more. The trick is elementary: simply throw A TON OF MONEY at the stupid, self-absorbed [infant] monkey and...ENJOY THE SHOW.

THAT is only ONE of MANY amusing (and rather thrilling) ways that I myself employ to keep myself going every day...

Cheers,

Christ...ina Marlowe

Christina, what has Limbaugh done to cause you to be so homocidal? Mostly, I think he is a buffoon, but the only thing he does is talk. Do you listen to him? Does he say things that make you want to think differently, to hate yourself? Wercozy is right. These guys are infotainers. You listen to them or not. You believe them or not or you check it out for yourself.

Truthfully, the governance by the privledged few is really you and me. We are priveledged to live in a free society and to vote for the 535 people we elect to govern for us. If we don't do it in a responsible and informed way, then to some extent we reap what we sow. True, others may out-vote us but then maybe we need to be more involved or work harder to get our points of view across.

That doesn't mean that we should spew blood from our mouths in a hate-filled diatribe. The problem with most liberals I have ever known is that the lack of acceptance of their viewpoint is directly proportional to the volume of their arguments.
zdeb_d123
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:41:32 PM

Neurons: 312
Investigator..................Applause

Don't you know.... they're all dirty rotten scoundrels!!!Anxious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i4YILBMY9g&feature=related

Those who "can't" become politicians............d'oh!

HWNN1961
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:14:53 PM

Neurons: 9,763
Does no one see the long view here?

The USA is bleeding red ink!

How better to balance a budget of trillions than by cutting NPR's several millions?

No, really, there's nothing ideological about this brave, heroic measure. Carry on brave souls of fiscal prudence, carry on! Godspeed.
niblick
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:40:21 PM

Neurons: 562
GabhSigenod wrote:
I sense much hostility in North America.

And much idiocy as well. Do not you find the diatribes in the Irish Times or Telegraph U.K. to be more polished and
telling? Sort of low rent, most of these colonials.
HWNN1961
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:00:10 PM

Another constructive and educational post from The Spelunker. Always informative and collegial cricism.
kitten
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 12:08:53 AM

HWNN1961 wrote:
Does no one see the long view here?

The USA is bleeding red ink!

How better to balance a budget of trillions than by cutting NPR's several millions?

No, really, there's nothing ideological about this brave, heroic measure. Carry on brave souls of fiscal prudence, carry on! Godspeed.

HWNN,

Funny, sad and true. >^,,^<
niblick
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 6:00:19 AM

wercozy wrote:

Why should tax dollars be used to support an ideology with which many disagree? The consistently leftist perspective
of CPB is okay but conservatives do not wish to have their tax dollars used to fund it just as liberals would not
wish to subsidize a viewpoint that does not reflect their values. CPB does not represent "free" speech if public
money is used to support a particular viewpoint. Nobody needs to subsidize FOX news or CNN.
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 8:26:34 AM

No venue on radio or television strives harder that public TV/radio to give all points of view a voice.

Just before coming online to check posts here, NPR had a woman representing oil interests making the case for re-opening the Gulf of Mexico for deep water drilling. She was interviewed in a polite manner,and allowed to make her case.

The best you get from the Sunday morning political shows on the major networks is a shouting festival where people literally yell past each other. It's like the political version of Jerry Springer.

No words are necessary to describe the cartoonish slant of Fox News.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 2:00:15 PM

Neurons: 599,134
Niblick, There are no cartoons to describe your opinions ;-)
kitten
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 3:41:07 PM

niblick wrote:
wercozy wrote:

Why should tax dollars be used to support an ideology with which many disagree? The consistently leftist perspective
of CPB is okay but conservatives do not wish to have their tax dollars used to fund it just as liberals would not
wish to subsidize a viewpoint that does not reflect their values. CPB does not represent "free" speech if public
money is used to support a particular viewpoint. Nobody needs to subsidize FOX news or CNN.

Hello,

From where are you getting your information? Because I truly don't understand what "ideology" you are talking about?

So, there is a part of America that doesn't want their tax dollars used to have fair and balanced knowledge put forth, so all of us can learn more facts, and those, with an open mind, can weigh in on the issues and make an intelligent decision. Think

I do not like getting my information from only the news channels as they pander. They are doing what they do to get 1) ratings, 2) please the sponsers 3) and sadly feed their own egos.

I don't like to be spoon-fed information just because it is sensationalised and it agrees with some sponsor.Speak to the hand Shame on you

At least public broadcasting offers a balanced view of what is going on in the world, past and present. From which, I and others, after viewing can make up our own minds.

This seems to be a class issue. I have just read some very vile and hateful things supposedly said by intelligent people and it comes across as sour grapes......"Oh, boo hoo, let the elitist have their Sesame Street." Boo hoo! How utterly childish.Eh?

"Oh, there is too much British TV!"........"Oh, who wants to some guy who teaches painting?", "Oh, who wants to see Charlie Rose?" I do. And so do many others.

I am not rich, I am not an elitist but I do like to learn. Are some people so afraid we may learn a truth that asks another question and another, that we may actually think for ourselves and not follow the crowd?

What is so wrong with wanting to learn?? Think You are right, nothing.

PBS provides a service..........I am a tax payer and this is one service I would like to have. And it isn't going to break the bank.

I am not in the bottom 20%, I am not the minority. I am actually not even a percentage number. I am a human being who wants to see the libraries open, the arts, and education for all.........not just those who can afford it.

The Freedom train you are talking about is sweeping the world and it is working very hard to get rid of those who close things down, oppress thought, oppress free speech, and kill figuratively and literally mankind.

You are right, I don't want to be brain washed!

peace out, >^,,^<

niblick
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 8:49:02 PM

kitten wrote:
niblick wrote:
wercozy wrote:

Hello,

From where are you getting your information? Because I truly don't understand what "ideology" you are talking about?

So, there is a part of America that doesn't want their tax dollars used to have fair and balanced knowledge put forth, so all of us can learn more facts, and those, with an open mind, can weigh in on the issues and make an intelligent decision. Think

I do not like getting my information from only the news channels as they pander. They are doing what they do to get 1) ratings, 2) please the sponsers 3) and sadly feed their own egos.

I don't like to be spoon-fed information just because it is sensationalised and it agrees with some sponsor.Speak to the hand Shame on you

At least public broadcasting offers a balanced view of what is going on in the world, past and present. From which, I and others, after viewing can make up our own minds.

This seems to be a class issue. I have just read some very vile and hateful things supposedly said by intelligent people and it comes across as sour grapes......"Oh, boo hoo, let the elitist have their Sesame Street." Boo hoo! How utterly childish.Eh?

"Oh, there is too much British TV!"........"Oh, who wants to some guy who teaches painting?", "Oh, who wants to see Charlie Rose?" I do. And so do many others.

I am not rich, I am not an elitist but I do like to learn. Are some people so afraid we may learn a truth that asks another question and another, that we may actually think for ourselves and not follow the crowd?

What is so wrong with wanting to learn?? Think You are right, nothing.

PBS provides a service..........I am a tax payer and this is one service I would like to have. And it isn't going to break the bank.

I am not in the bottom 20%, I am not the minority. I am actually not even a percentage number. I am a human being who wants to see the libraries open, the arts, and education for all.........not just those who can afford it.

The Freedom train you are talking about is sweeping the world and it is working very hard to get rid of those who close things down, oppress thought, oppress free speech, and kill figuratively and literally mankind.

You are right, I don't want to be brain washed!

peace out, >^,,^<

I am unsure at to whether or not your questions are rhetorical since you seem to both ask and answer them. PBS has
many worthwhile programs to which I occasionally listen and I find Laura Knoy on the local WEVO outlet to be
informed, balanced and intelligent.

As a matter of opinion, I do not find CPB to be fair or balanced in its political reporting and have no desire to argue
the point with the Constant Posters or perhaps, more accurately, poseurs. You seem to be a polite person and thus I
am responding to you. My long-held opinion that CPB news was biased found affirmation in the firing of Juan Williams.
Ellen Weiss was fired, sacrificial lamb style, due to general concerns which were widely aired and her boss, the
ineffable Vivian Schiller, was docked financially.

There is much to agree with in the points you make and man does not live by NASCAR alone. Still, public funding of
the arts (in general) has led to many distasteful incidents. If a museum wants to subsidize the creator of
Piss Christ that is dandy but I would prefer that tax dollars not be used to fund what I consider rubbish, be it
artistic rubbish or political opinion with which I do not concur. It is agreed that any real defunding of CPB
is unlikely in this electoral season. I would suggest that a sea change is coming and that the world of American
politics will be a different place come 2013, most likely a place inimical to your viewpoint.
wercozy
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 11:40:09 PM

Neurons: 3,480
HOW ON EARTH DID THE MASSES GET SWALLOWED UP BY THE ELITE FEW? OMG! THEIR INHUMAN ARROGANCE! THEIR PIGGISH HOARDING, EXTRAVAGANT DESIRES, OVER-THE-TOP NEEDS, UNREASONABLE WANTS, OUTRAGEOUS DEMANDS! UGH! (SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEAM)!
Cat
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 8:59:50 AM

Neurons: 194,017
As I mentioned in another post, politicians use beloved entitlements to rile the masses into action. No, we say, don't cut PBS! Then they bundle PBS with "pet pork projects" and there you have it. PBS is saved but at a cost. It is moves like this one that led me to abandon the conservatives and join the independents.

PBS has it's own "fat". And again, not wanting to lose too much of its budget, the masses are "threatened" into supporting PBS as a whole in order to keep the programs that are beloved.

Real change, and a realistic budget, will come about when an option to the insanity of threatening to get ones way is found.

To those who scourge PBS as being leftist leaning, I agree in part. But, I was enticed into science due to a series on PBS called "Mechanical Universe". Nothing leftist about that. I also started to learn piano; another of my favorites was "Sewing with Nancy" and "The French Chef" with Julia Child. I remember thinking how wonderful to have so much information available for free.

Next came cable TV with TLC, Discovery Channel, A & E. I was in heaven. But cable comes at a price that many cannot afford to pay but do to keep their kids and themselves current.

So, my point (finally). Some programs are necessary to support the non-wealthy. PBS should be used in this manner. So, keep the supportive programming, cut the budget by keeping salaries realistic and let go of "want" programs to support "need" programs.

Ahem... I'm done.
HWNN1961
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:52:02 AM

Excellent points Cat.

Have you noticed what happens to channels on cable that doesn't (at least mostly doesn't) happen on PBS:

Because channels like TLC, History and History International ultimately have to make a profit, they water down their programming in pursuit of what attracts the widest audience, rather than stick to their knitting.

Such erstwhile educational channels increasingly become a repository for reality-based TV....Ax Men, Swamp Men (or whatever the exact title is), Ice Road Truckers, that show about the Crab boat, shows like Modern Marvels and How it's made. Tomorrow, when I'd love to watch a good documentary, they populate the day with pop style Star Magazine material about Nostradamus. Most of this has little to do with science and history. But, they are apparently showing what the majority of their viewers want to see.

This is the ultimate value of PBS: they do a good job of remembering their mission. There is what is called "Market Failure". The market is satisfied as long as there are buyers and sellers and a profit is realized. Whether that be for educational television, or the endless reality TV drivel matters not so long as there is a profit.

We, as a society, place a value on providing an educational venue on television. It may not work in a market-driven environment, but we as a people are enriched by it. And, it wouldn't exist if the government didn't help to fund it.

While I'm ranting:

The folks at the History Channels:

Please, there is more than 5,000 years of recorded history to choose from...please, please, nothing more need be said regarding:

1. The Titanic.
2. Adolph Hitler.
3. Mummies and pyramids (oh, my).
4. Pearl Harbor.
5. Atlantis (please, no mas).
6. Cleopatra.
7. Julius Caesar. (500 years of empire and we always get Caesar and Nero).

Please, explore the other epics of mankind's journey!

Alias
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:48:01 AM

Neurons: 1,993
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Niblick, There are no cartoons to describe your opinions ;-)

Shame on you Play the ball not the man JJ..................

Niblick: The pittance that constitutes the PBS budget is infinitessimally insignificant (read: very small indeed!) compared to the $billions given in tax breaks and incentives to corporations, industry entrepeneurs and yes that includes Murdochs empire and other cronies of the rich and powerful.

That too pales in the face of the obscenity of the "bailouts" of the banks and financial institutions with $trillions of US taxpayers dollars after they triggered the GFC with their greed and profligacy.

AND THAT pales yet again in the face of the mountains of gold poured in to adventures in to Iraq and Afghanistan based, on lies and deceit exploiting patriotic, jingoistic and fear sentiments of Americans post 9/11.

I would suggest that if even a modicum of the truth of what devious and self serving went on to initiate these blood baths, many more honest and globally responsible Americans would oppose this morally indefensible use of the wealth of the nation. As it is, a very significant percentage of American citizens and taxpayers do oppose these wars but it will still cost billions to extricate US forces from the region. So in the spirit of entrepeneurial capitalism I will do a deal with you Niblick. If US doesnt bail out just one financial instituton it can fund half a dozen PBS channels. Fair Enough?

If the US diverted the funds for just one year of war in Iraq or Afghanistan they could build a PBS that would rival Fox, CBS and NBC combined and still have enough left over to improve low income housing, provide universal health care and feed the destitute in the whole USA.

It is my opinion that Fox (and NBC) are the Macdonalds of media, predigested, whitebread fast food of little nutritional value and bound to clog up your organs with their journalistic equivalent of Trans Fats, Sugar and puerile Razamataz.

PBS is more like a little soul food home kitchen that occasionally bakes a delicious cake that sinks in the middle or burns the roast but makes the most outstanding gumbo and home made icecream and whose warmth and wholesomeness remind one about what is really important in life...

What is truly admirable about America and Americans is their diversity and the values that support the underdog against the bully. That give the littel guy a fair go. The values and beliefs that built the nation were founded on the principles in the constitution. Values such as giving a voice to ALL thye people, even the poor, needy, disenfranchised, minorities and individuals that dance to the beat of a different drummer.(to paraphrase HD Thoreau)

I think this quote below speaks well to the discussion.

Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one. H Mencken

Cat
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:00:50 PM

Alias, your post is significant for its understanding of American politics by a non-American. On top of that, I appreciate your sharing your opinion without name-calling and thrashing. Thank you from the bottom of my linguistically-challenged heart. You and HWNN1961 are my voice because your writing resonates my thoughts which are often very difficult for me to express. I'm not left-neglected but certainly am "left-impaired".
Pantomime
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 6:38:28 PM

Neurons: 236
Even if I am not American and I therefore have no say whatsoever in your domestic affairs, I feel it appopriate to give you an external, that is, French, stance on your politics and most importantly your media.

-Your media is as best as it could get. Here in France it is government controlled, journalists never ask politicians troubling questions lest the interviewee leave the show, because they rule the media.Political correctness has long reached its maximum and only one way of thinking is actually allowed, all our journalists are die-hard leftists but for one ( Mr Zemmour ) who got sentenced last week for having said that "Blacks and Arabics are more carded by the Police, that's a fact".Sick

-Your media still enforces freedom of speech but there is a clear tendancy these days to go down the road of political correctness. My advice is : don't go there. Even if Fox News is partially partial, it is better than having to fear for one's opinions and only one non-leftists journalist left in the whole contry.I also think liberals to be more dangerous than conservatives when it comes to freedom of speech. Liberals brutally censor what they do not like to hear and put in jail those who dare speak up diverging opinions while conservatives steadfastly uphold said freedom of speech, they let different opinions be expressed and they do not resort to the courts and to the Police to win an argument.

I think it is actually the lesser of two Evils you are complaining about.Angel

niblick
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:55:07 PM

Pantomime wrote:
Even if I am not American and I therefore have no say whatsoever in your domestic affairs, I feel it appopriate to give you an external, that is, French, stance on your politics and most importantly your media.

-Your media is as best as it could get. Here in France it is government controlled, journalists never ask politicians troubling questions lest the interviewee leave the show, because they rule the media.Political correctness has long reached its maximum and only one way of thinking is actually allowed, all our journalists are die-hard leftists but for one ( Mr Zemmour ) who got sentenced last week for having said that "Blacks and Arabics are more carded by the Police, that's a fact".Sick

-Your media still enforces freedom of speech but there is a clear tendancy these days to go down the road of political correctness. My advice is : don't go there. Even if Fox News is partially partial, it is better than having to fear for one's opinions and only one non-leftists journalist left in the whole contry.I also think liberals to be more dangerous than conservatives when it comes to freedom of speech. Liberals brutally censor what they do not like to hear and put in jail those who dare speak up diverging opinions while conservatives steadfastly uphold said freedom of speech, they let different opinions be expressed and they do not resort to the courts and to the Police to win an argument.

Great post; thank you for the input.

excaelis
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:02:46 PM

When you choose the lesser of two evils, you are still choosing evil.
Cat
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:37:28 PM

I agree excaelis, however, what if those are the only two choices. What if there is no good to choose?

To answer my own question, I guess I would try to create a new choice??
kitten
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:31:41 PM

niblick wrote:
Pantomime wrote:

Great post; thank you for the input.

Is it possible for you to post backup sites and or references to the above highlighted in bold? Sources, please. Thank you.

>^,,^<
Alias
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 8:14:48 AM

Neurons: 1,993
Pantomime wrote: "all our journalists are die-hard leftists but for one ( Mr Zemmour ) who got sentenced last week for having said that "Blacks and Arabics are more carded by the Police, that's a fact".

HUH ?So you are saying that the only non leftist..CONSERVATIVE politician defends the rights of "Blacks and Arabics" and condemning the Gendarmerie for discriminating against them....You stretch credibility my gallic friend. Your government is Sarkozys..hardly leftist...languishing on the right of centre at least....

And then you claim "while conservatives steadfastly uphold said freedom of speech, they let different opinions be expressed and they do not resort to the courts and to the Police to win an argument." And where do the Le Pens fit in to all this Pants? I can just see Jean Marie and his similarly opinionated daughter
supporting the rights of "blacks and arabics"!!!! and upholding free speech
of anyone other than themselves and their equally xenophobic, racist supporters.

No! The Le Pens folks dont resort to police and courts (well sometimes) they just arrange beatings, fire bombs, intimidation, threats,boycotts, political influence and vile racial campaigns against non white, non gallic, african, middle eastern, asian and other minority groups in France.

There is no real comparison with French and US politics...and your assertions do not gel with historical, recent or current French politics. THe divisions between the hard left and the far right on bigotry are not so far apart.

However your assertion that French journalism is reduced to only one shining light of non leftist positions and , as a conservative, is the sole defender of the rights of "blacks" and "arabics" against leftist discrimination, is naive at best, deluded, or plainly disingenuous.