mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
china Options
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:24:16 PM

Neurons: 675,964
There are protests in China also. Over 200 dissidents have "disappeared". Hopefully only arrested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12517909
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:28:15 PM

We are living some helluva interesting times now. I can still remember how the Iron Curtain and Soviet system collapsed twenty years ago.
Toddey65
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 9:59:59 PM

Neurons: 336
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
There are protests in China also. Over 200 dissidents have "disappeared". Hopefully only arrested.

I really like how Hu Jintao knows how to fix all the problems...
"On Saturday President Hu Jintao called for stricter controls on the internet 'to guide public opinion' and 'solve prominent problems which might harm the harmony and stability of the society'." d'oh!
But then again we have to realize how stable China is with their booming economy and soon to be superpower influence (actually that might already exist).

Rusty
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 2:33:24 AM

Neurons: 450
I am not sure where I saw the pictures but is it true that China has mobile Execution vans? They do execute largest number of people in the world, no? but the communist system has also done wonders, there are fewer hungry people and economic status has definately improved like magic. Hungry people is the saddest face of humanity, food is a lot more important than freedom to speech. But that's just my opinion.
Sanjib Tripathy
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 8:45:04 AM

Neurons: 5,452
I wonder why all the 'Human Right Activists' have gone especially when it is China.Shame on you
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 8:58:32 AM

skt wrote:
I wonder why all the 'Human Right Activists' have gone especially when it is China.Shame on you

They have gone because of the Shame on you

dev_sircar
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 9:21:41 AM

Neurons: 5,932
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
skt wrote:

They have gone because of the Shame on you

In china they allow only 'Left Activists' to live.
Toddey65
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 1:22:25 PM

Rusty wrote:
I am not sure where I saw the pictures but is it true that China has mobile Execution vans? They do execute largest number of people in the world, no? but the communist system has also done wonders, there are fewer hungry people and economic status has definately improved like magic. Hungry people is the saddest face of humanity, food is a lot more important than freedom to speech. But that's just my opinion.

I don't think China is really communist now, they are more like a mixed economy that is very stringent. Just like United States they have privately-owned businesses and state-owned businesses. So economically they are mixed.
Christina Marlowe
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 6:32:03 PM

I was a college student in China for about 4 months in 1989 and during the brutality at Tian An Men Square. I had been traveling from university to university during the many large and peaceful demonstrations throughout the cities and rural areas. When I finally got to Beijing University, it was late in May, 1989, where I stayed until June 4th. There were, as reported, over one million people in Tian An Men. Marshall Law had been declared some time in April, as I recall; students and workers alike, everywhere I went, were protesting Deng Xiao Ping's government for more freedoms, most especially freedom of speech. The trains were often delayed for many hours due to protests, sometimes someone would strap themselves to a rail track in protest, and I remember clearly the hunger strikes. The government-run television stations altogether ignored any strife and robotically praised farmers for increases in rice, wheat or potato yields; they would also report on "heroic activities" such as a brave young boy that saved a poor woman's cat from a tree.

Well, I went back to China in 1992 as a graduate; I was an intern for an American college Professor who taught politics with an emphasis on US-USSR-PR China Relations (this was also my area of focus in my University and the main studies for which I received my college degree). An enormous amount had changed in the way of economic growth and development then as now, but certainly not for the issues of freedom of speech.

My third and final visit to China was in 1994-1995 as University teacher. I chose a small fishing village called Weihai in the northwestern part of Shandong Province, right on the Yellow Sea. I was the first white person to live in that town;
I was so foreign in fact, that many farmers (known as "peasants") asked me if I was Korean (since Korea is right across the Yellow Sea). My students were all, every one of them, from the countryside, which meant that they were all peasants. Well, the fact is that the peasants, which comprise about 85% of China's huge population (and most of China's standing army, i.e. military) truly believe what they are told by the government. Every last one of them buys it all, hook, line and sinker. They have all been taught to fervently believe in Marxist economics, Mao Zedong Thought, Vladimir Lenin Communism; THEY BELIEVE ALL OF IT. This is a VAST POWER TO HOLD. This is precisely why Deng Xiao Ping was able to 1. round up his fully brainwashed army, (all peasants from the countryside that had been told that there were some "very bad people" trying to destroy their country)...2. place them in tanks, 3. TOTALLY ISOLATE all of them within the walls of the Forbidden City in Beijing, i.e.. away from the protesters that might be able to convince them of REALITY, and at last,4. use the army to crush, to literally roll over the protesters. IT WORKED!!

Yet OPPRESSION is NEVER FOREVER. Ever hear of "PANDORA'S BOX?!?! It's happening RIGHT NOW before our very eyes, even here in "FREEDOM-LOVING" (BULLSHIT) AMERICA!!!

There is an old Chinese curse. It is as follows:

"MAY YOU LIVE IN INTERESTING TIMES..."

Cheers!!

Christina Marlowe

Tovarish
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:40:07 AM

Neurons: 39,933
When the Democratic Protest was taking place in Tienanmen Square, you just knew it was gong to end badly.

Those poor young people were ahead of their time.
Toddey65
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 4:51:06 PM

Christina Marlowe wrote:
I was a college student in China for about 4 months in 1989 and during the brutality at Tian An Men Square. I had been traveling from university to university during the many large and peaceful demonstrations throughout the cities and rural areas. When I finally got to Beijing University, it was late in May, 1989, where I stayed until June 4th. There were, as reported, over one million people in Tian An Men. Marshall Law had been declared some time in April, as I recall; students and workers alike, everywhere I went, were protesting Deng Xiao Ping's government for more freedoms, most especially freedom of speech. The trains were often delayed for many hours due to protests, sometimes someone would strap themselves to a rail track in protest, and I remember clearly the hunger strikes. The government-run television stations altogether ignored any strife and robotically praised farmers for increases in rice, wheat or potato yields; they would also report on "heroic activities" such as a brave young boy that saved a poor woman's cat from a tree.

Well, I went back to China in 1992 as a graduate; I was an intern for an American college Professor who taught politics with an emphasis on US-USSR-PR China Relations (this was also my area of focus in my University and the main studies for which I received my college degree). An enormous amount had changed in the way of economic growth and development then as now, but certainly not for the issues of freedom of speech.

My third and final visit to China was in 1994-1995 as University teacher. I chose a small fishing village called Weihai in the northwestern part of Shandong Province, right on the Yellow Sea. I was the first white person to live in that town;
I was so foreign in fact, that many farmers (known as "peasants") asked me if I was Korean (since Korea is right across the Yellow Sea). My students were all, every one of them, from the countryside, which meant that they were all peasants. Well, the fact is that the peasants, which comprise about 85% of China's huge population (and most of China's standing army, i.e. military) truly believe what they are told by the government. Every last one of them buys it all, hook, line and sinker. They have all been taught to fervently believe in Marxist economics, Mao Zedong Thought, Vladimir Lenin Communism; THEY BELIEVE ALL OF IT. This is a VAST POWER TO HOLD. This is precisely why Deng Xiao Ping was able to 1. round up his fully brainwashed army, (all peasants from the countryside that had been told that there were some "very bad people" trying to destroy their country)...2. place them in tanks, 3. TOTALLY ISOLATE all of them within the walls of the Forbidden City in Beijing, i.e.. away from the protesters that might be able to convince them of REALITY, and at last,4. use the army to crush, to literally roll over the protesters. IT WORKED!!

Yet OPPRESSION is NEVER FOREVER. Ever hear of "PANDORA'S BOX?!?! It's happening RIGHT NOW before our very eyes, even here in "FREEDOM-LOVING" (BULLSHIT) AMERICA!!!

There is an old Chinese curse. It is as follows:

"MAY YOU LIVE IN INTERESTING TIMES..."

Cheers!!

Christina Marlowe

Your post really reminds me of Nineteen-Eighty Four by George Orwell. China sounds just like Oceania and the leader reminds me of Big Brother.

JackH
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:52:24 AM

Neurons: 871
FYI: this forum, and thefreedictionary.com for that matter, is now blocked in China. I have feared this day ever since I joined you guys 2 years ago. I knew China's govt is scared free dicussions about anything. But after I scaled the Great Fire Wall and see this thread, I think I know what pushed it over the tipping point. I will not give up on this forum! I will scale the wall more often!

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:20:15 AM

The Chinese authorities must be really afraid if THIS thread has made them to block TFD. What a bunch of (add some phrases which would cause a long time penalty here!)
Jeech
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:17:06 PM

Neurons: 4,436
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:

<Laughs> How specious those moments for Anti-Chinists!!

We Pakistanis have long been protesting against the continous American-puppet here, but who cares? Do the Anti-Chinaism really have anything to do with human rights?
Jeech
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:48:46 PM

Sticking to the path of peaceful development is an imperative for China, but it won't be easy. In geopolitics, the rise of a certain country would mean the relative decline of the others which surround it. Unfortunately, this zero-sum mentality still persists among many of China's neighbors. So when keeping up with the Joneses looks increasingly out of reach, Mr. Jones gets whacked and becomes a butt for criticism.

China's territorial disputes would complicate things. Any sign of China's reinforcing military buildup in the region, though commensurate to its size and economic growth, would be interpreted as being more assertive.

The US remains the linchpin in whether China can maintain peaceful development. As now the US seeks a comeback to Asia, bolstering military relations with Japan, South Korea and India, China would feel being encircled and take responding measures to protect the trade routes vital to maintaining its global reach. This has all but proved the importance of getting the message of peaceful development across the Pacific Ocean.

So how does the US look at China's idea peaceful development? How should China and its neighboring countries like India chalk up a win-win situation through China's peaceful development?

Answered here
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:27:38 PM

Jeech,
one doesn't need to be anti-Chinaist (or how did you express it?) to criticise the way they threat their own people. I'm free to criticise every scumbag Finnish, Italian, American, Libyan, Pakistani or Chinese leader as long as I can see them grinding down human rights.
abcxyz
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:46:06 PM

Neurons: 3,200
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
The Chinese authorities must be really afraid if THIS thread has made them to block TFD. What a bunch of (add some phrases which would cause a long time penalty here!)

I don't think this particular thread is the cause of the ban. My guess is after the protests Chinese authorities have banned all popular forums and discussion boards, being the f*cked up psycho cowards that they are.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:58:27 AM

Many popular discussion forums have been banned in China for ages. Freedelfia has been hidden behind The Free Dictionary. Network sniffers (read: data flow scanning software put to catch all the information going through routers) however can reveal this forum's marginal reactions on China's politics. If it is so, it's pathetic.
JackH
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:51:13 AM

abcxyz wrote:
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:

I don't think this particular thread is the cause of the ban. My guess is after the protests Chinese authorities have banned all popular forums and discussion boards, being the f*cked up psycho cowards that they are.

I don't know if this thread actually caused China to block the site. But just how far China's Great Fire Wall will go to nip free dicussions tells loads about this government.

People in my office all agreed that nothing could happen as a result of the Chinese jasmine revolution (by the way the word jasmine was censored last week when the gathering happened). But clearly the government disagree. Its people scare the bejesus out of it.
JackH
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:01:33 AM

Jeech wrote:
Sticking to the path of peaceful development is an imperative for China, but it won't be easy. In geopolitics, the rise of a certain country would mean the relative decline of the others which surround it. Unfortunately, this zero-sum mentality still persists among many of China's neighbors. So when keeping up with the Joneses looks increasingly out of reach, Mr. Jones gets whacked and becomes a butt for criticism.

China's territorial disputes would complicate things. Any sign of China's reinforcing military buildup in the region, though commensurate to its size and economic growth, would be interpreted as being more assertive.

The US remains the linchpin in whether China can maintain peaceful development. As now the US seeks a comeback to Asia, bolstering military relations with Japan, South Korea and India, China would feel being encircled and take responding measures to protect the trade routes vital to maintaining its global reach. This has all but proved the importance of getting the message of peaceful development across the Pacific Ocean.

So how does the US look at China's idea peaceful development? How should China and its neighboring countries like India chalk up a win-win situation through China's peaceful development?

Answered here

The US, Japan, or any country may all stay calm about China rising into power, if they look at history. China was a great power until the mid 1800s but never ever in history did it do anything that comes even close to what the British Empire did.

The Chinese are peasants. They don't care about exploring uncharted waters or colonizing foreign lands. They like to stay where they are born.

If that has changed a little bit, one thing that never changes is that the govt of this country sees its own people as its arch enemy.

I remember doing a story about how China spent almsot as much policing its own people as it did on defense in 2009. I don't rmember the numbers right now. Meanwhile, the officials all send their children abroad, put their money in foreign banks, and eventually flee to Canada. Would you do that if you see a foregn country as enemy that you might get in a clash with?

So if China (its leaders) does not perceive any country as enemy, why should any country see China as a threat?

Jeech
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 10:11:01 AM

JackH wrote:

So if China (its leaders) does not perceive any country as enemy, why should any country see China as a threat?

How beautiful it is to support China and arguing with a person appears to be in Beijing, China. I've long ties with Chinese people and their love to the country and the system that brought prosperity to their gigantic nation. Once a Chinese guy expressed his thought that it's all the strickt system that made China at the brink of being a super power; it's the short-cut to make entire the nation focused to a certain level of development.

When we here in Pakistan see foreign powers like US, interfere into our problems and make use of rival groups against the prosperity of the coutry and the region we really find ourselves in a need of such great restrictions like China does for the sake of being focused on the regional issues. If you have studied US/Pakistan relationships throughout 6 decades you would have seen how we were being smashed because of US suponsered policies. We need such controled and focused development in urgent otherwise we would be totally Americanized (smashed).
JackH
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 4:24:13 PM

I can get on the forum again. It all comes and goes. The same happened when China started censoring youtube in 2008. It was on and off before I lost it forever, unless I scale the wall, that is.
gradyone
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 5:26:40 PM

Neurons: 12,277

Jack, It's to everyone's advantage to have you posting with us. Long may you freely surf or vault adroitly, as conditions dictate.

Jeech
, While I empathize with your distaste for America's over-bearing involvement in your nation's affairs, I urge you to understand that many actions of the US government often are in direct opposition to the will of its people. The majority of Americans do not and will never believe that the people of Pakistan want to harm us. Conversely, the people of America do not want to harm the people of Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iceland, Rwanda, Chile, Switzerland, Romania, Ecuador, Malta, Barbados, India, Iraq, Finland, Nepal, you get the picture.

America is an experiment in government, and we understand that it is our highest responsibility to take part in helping that experiment work to the betterment of all of the world's people. We have the right, by founding principles and by law, to put our government, at all levels, on trial for actions we do not condone. Those trials take place in the court of public opinion and at the polling booths. We cannot be executed in the streets while carrying out peaceful demonstrations. We cannot be, in mass numbers, locked up, tortured and forgotten for attempting to expose our government's wrong-doings. We have the power of over 310 million people to hold our leaders' feet to the fire when we must exert our rights.

We wish to extend those rights to everyone. I support your desire to expose and condemn the American government's misdeeds in your country. And I ask you to join hands with the American people in our struggle to help humankind be free.
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 9:43:04 PM

Jeech, if the Pakistani people have long been against the Americanisation of their Country, then DONT take their money, simple.

Are we serious, has the TFD been blocked in china???

There is nothing that is said on this Forum that wouldn't be said over a cup of coffee in my little Country Town.

Is China so sensitive to free speech, that something as innocuous as us speaking as we do every day to each other, disturbs them?

Also does that mean Jasmine Rice is now officially off the menu?
JackH
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:04:38 PM

gradyone wrote:

Jack, It's to everyone's advantage to have you posting with us. Long may you freely surf or vault adroitly, as conditions dictate.

That's so very kind of you, Gradyone. It means a lot to me.

I guess speaking freely (I hope not indiscreetly, though) is such a natural instinct for me that I just can't stop it. Besides, Tovarish is right. Nothing we discuss here will hurt anyone.

But apparently not in this country. My friend's roommate yesterday got an email with an attached document. The attachment had that J word in the title. She wasn't thinking and tried to open it. The next thing she knew the Internet connection was down for her apartment. I don't know when or if it went back on yet. Nobody knows if it was a pure coincidence.

By the way, I'm getting on to the forum ok for a 2nd day now.
Tovarish
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 5:18:04 PM

Watch yourself Jack we dont want to loose your imput!
Toddey65
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 6:17:00 PM

JackH wrote:
I can get on the forum again. It all comes and goes. The same happened when China started censoring youtube in 2008. It was on and off before I lost it forever, unless I scale the wall, that is.

Do they just censor certain searches on youtube or is the whole website blocked?
Jeech
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:02:01 PM

Tovarish wrote:
Jeech, if the Pakistani people have long been against the Americanisation of their Country, then DONT take their money, simple.

Thanks for the suggestion and tell our govts stop this puppetness. Did you know our so called elected Prime Minister tells the public that "we are not fighting the war for free." Hilarius, isn't it?
Jeech
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:10:38 PM

JackH wrote:

Great!! Keep expressing your mind. I understand you and China's fear concerning foreign influance either.
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 7:17:09 AM

Jeech, what did he mean by "not fighting the war for free"?

Was he openly saying you would not support the war against terrorism without being paid to do so?

Our news here today is of the only Christian in the Pakistani Parliament being killed by the Taliband, is that

the way it is interpreted in your country?
Alias
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 8:55:34 AM

Neurons: 1,993
We cannot be executed in the streets while carrying out peaceful demonstrations. We cannot be, in mass numbers, locked up, tortured and forgotten for attempting to expose our government's wrong-doings.

Hmmm sorry dude but like so many Americans it appears you have bought the Bill of Rights and US Constitution Hooey Americans are spoon fed from the moment they pop out of the womb all through school, college Uni etc etc in every media and through every politician and community leader thereafter/

It is understandable that you are so inculcated with the belief that "anyone can be President!" and "All men (not women and blacks and minorities ...but we make exceptions for polite Negros, Uncle Toms and grateful immigrants that know their place and know how to salute the stars and stripes and sing the Star Strangled Banner.) are EQUAL... that you believe it despite so much evidence to the contrary

The land of the brave that strafes whole vilages with napalm to flush out one or two insurgents, uses cluster bombs, phosphor bombs, breaks dozens of UN conventions because they have power of veto. Even block Yasser Arafat from attending a UN conference in NY despite being invited by the UN!!

Home of the Free that was the last major country and probably the only one that enslaved large proportions of its population....on its own soil...for over a century. The country that saw a President who told the people that he was the final arbiter of the law when he was caught being corrupt, dishonest and breaking the law...then he is pardoned by the next Pres!!!

That had Kent State University where US Attica State,
That locked up the guy they claimed helped Wikileaks and will throw away the key. That put money power and influence on the Swedish (and English) Govts and others to get Julian Assange at any cost!!! despite not being guilty of ANY American lawbreaking. The Country that to get around its own constitution, arranged with compliant countries to torture and waterboard people without trial or evidence, then to hand them over to the US where they are further tortured, humilitaed, sodomised, sexually violated and murdered. Or sent to Guantanamo Bay so they are not on US soil and subject to US laws on the treatment of prisoners and habeous corpus, the right to free trail and legal representation, acess to visitation rights and humane treatment...etc etc AND in direct contravention of the Geneva Convention and more than a dozen UN conventions that US is a signatory to. How? by refusing to recognise thenm as soldiers....by changing the name to the Twee affectATion of "Enemy Combatants!!!!!

The Country whose Hegemonistic adventurisn has seen it interfere directly and indirectly in the politics of half the globe...especially Central and South America where when its interference didnt succeed decdided to directly invade..almost 70% of those countris at one time (or more) over the past 200 years...installing puppet regimes conplicit and compliant with US foreign policy and trade aspirations.

Granted USSR emulated the same policies and deserves condemnation for their subjugation of many nations...ans China is brutal in its control of Tibet Uisgar regions etc etc , but lets not kid ourselves....there are no shiny white knights of freedom and dark forces of evil. Dont buy the rhetoric ...from anywhere..

I agree its like 1984....of course it is ...George Orwell was very aware of the state of the world...Animal Farm is a direct analogy for the Russian Revoltion..
1984 is the world we live in ....NOW...

I agree that there is much good that can come from tgood government ...but lets not fall in to the trap of doing an Ostrich and pretending the Elephant is not in the room (a little African Zoological mixing of metaphors..please excuse my effrontery!!) (laughs)

And please dont give me that lesser of two evils argument....When I see how authorities act toward a new revoloution in the US and Europe ...as well as China, Middle East, South Asia...etc then I will believe in the "Brave New World!"! MY COMPUTER ISONTHEFRITZ CIAPLOT CANTTYPE 司ANY SENSE IN TO IT ONLYSPACESANDCAPITAL_______________HELP
Epiphileon
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:19:44 AM

Neurons: 168,327
Alias wrote:

I agree its like 1984....of course it is ...George Orwell was very aware of the state of the world...Animal Farm is a direct analogy for the Russian Revoltion..
1984 is the world we live in ....NOW...

] MY COMPUTER ISONTHEFRITZ CIAPLOT CANTTYPE 司ANY SENSE IN TO IT ONLYSPACESANDCAPITAL_______________HELP

Relax Mr. Alias, there is nothing wrong with your computer, the thought police are on their way.
Regards
B.B.
Jeech
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:48:57 PM

Tovarish wrote:
Jeech, what did he mean by "not fighting the war for free"?

Was he openly saying you would not support the war against terrorism without being paid to do so?

Our news here today is of the only Christian in the Pakistani Parliament being killed by the Taliband, is that

the way it is interpreted in your country?

Pakistan has played a vital role on America's war on terror and we have almost parished and worst that our western allies don't recognize our efforts and sacrifications. We have lost more lives than the sum of NATO countries do. We have lost our exporting industries. We used to compete India and China in the markets. Our loss is far greater than we are ever "payed". You doubt in our sacrifications because the policy makers want it. There is a huge public pressure on the PM for quiting such war that has been spreading instead of any decline the Prime Minister argued so stupidly that you can learn what makes him to keep fighting. We neither need money nor extra judicial killing, we need peace and prosperity in the region. War isn't the sullution. Wish, if the US were our true friend and asked us for better sollutions!

Shahbaz was killed by the people who assasinated Benazir Bhutto, Pakistani Taliban. I knew him, I belong to his city Faisalabad, never met but just knew for his political activism. He was Minority Leader in the National Assembly of Pakistan. There are many, many, many Pakistani have been killed that reaches about 40,000 figure. We need the world to accomplish our sacrifications and break in tear with us.

There is only the Chinese govt who recognizes our efforts and sacrifications. China is the only country who helps our industry to grow. They better help us this way. There are more than 250 Chinese engineres have killed in Pakistan by Taliban, China knows who really is the Taliban. We are greatful to China.
JackH
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:59:55 PM

Tovarish wrote:
Watch yourself Jack we dont want to loose your imput!

Thanks you, Tovarish! I'll watch my back. :)
JackH
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 12:03:41 AM

Toddey65 wrote:

Do they just censor certain searches on youtube or is the whole website blocked?

The whole site is now blocked.

It started to go on and off in 2008 when at first only searches for videos with "sensitive" content were blocked. It soon went all down.