mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Automats Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 98,814
Automats

An automat is a fast food restaurant where food and drinks are served by coin- and bill-operated vending machines. Joseph Horn and Frank Hardart opened the first automat in the US in 1902 and quickly popularized the notion of take-out food with their slogan “Less work for Mother.” The original automat machines, which had little windows containing the prepared meals, were filled from behind by workers who cooked the fresh food in an unseen kitchen. What led to the decline of automat dining? More...
pedro
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 9:21:06 AM

Neurons: 63,022
and downstairs there were revolving toilets
Rahul Goyal
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 11:17:23 AM

Neurons: 156,941
Thanks would make anyone puke ;)
Celia Harper
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 3:57:33 PM

Neurons: 2,539,120
I clearly remember going to the Automat with my grandmother when I was a child growing up in New York City in the 1950s and while I think I also had lunch there with my mother when we took the train into The City from our home in Bayside to buy new ballet slippers (most memorably those beautiful pink satin toe shoes) in downtown Manhattan at La Mendola's, it was the visits with my thin, elegant Nana that bring a nostalgic sigh so many years later. There were two childhood memories for me on The Free Dictionary today: the Automat and the Blizzard of '88 which was a great topic of conversation among the grown-ups, especially when we had our blizzard in 1947, which of course, was nowhere near as severe or deep. Thanks; I enjoyed starting my morning with these memories.