mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Life is a puzzle with missing peace(s) Options
wercozy
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:36:53 AM

Neurons: 3,480
There's a lot of misery in the world, but even among people who think they have everything (job, spouse, money in the bank, God), there's 'something missing.' What is that something?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 12:45:44 PM

Neurons: 594,898
Peace, justice and equality in the world.
uuaschbaer
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:05:35 PM

Neurons: 6,180
A lack of ambition? Without a want for something life would be as dull as a game in which you cheat. It shouldn't even matter whether that thing we desire exists (or can exist), should it? Maybe it's entirely an irrational desire. (Perhaps instilled in us by natural selection to keep us from hurling ourselves off cliffs for wants of nothing.)
ludic
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:23:35 PM

Neurons: 3,544
I totally agree with you, uuaschbaer. You put it so well.

uuaschbaer
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:46:56 PM

ludic wrote:
I totally agree with you, uuaschbaer. You put it so well.

Thank you immensely! :)
kingfisher
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:16:34 PM

Neurons: 633
wercozy wrote:
There's a lot of misery in the world, but even among people who think they have everything (job, spouse, money in the bank, God), there's 'something missing.' What is that something?

Nobody has everything. Period.
kitten
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 4:09:35 PM

Neurons: 7,420
Kindness, patience, understanding and empathy.

>^,,^<
Epiphileon
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:10:09 PM

Neurons: 166,581
A full and complete answer to the question, "Who am I?"
HWNN1961
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:34:54 PM

Neurons: 9,763
The humorist Erma Bombeck had a book title that sums up my take on this well:

The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank.

Or, quoting her here:

"Before you try to keep up with the Joneses, be sure they're not trying to keep up with you"

Really, it was well said above in the thread: we are hard-wired for suvival. We measure that in competition, drive. At one moment I"m happy with my life, my job, the material things, hopefully the spiritual as well. Then my neighbor gets a larger flat-screen TV than I have and suddenly my world is in chaos. Hopefully, most of us aren't that shallow, but it is an example from American culture.

Even when everything is going our way, we worry about the future. We always want what we don't have, or, what we delude ourselves into thinking we don't have.

Someone of Buddhist or perhaps Hindu background can explain that solution where a person purifies their soul by freeing themselves of the cares of the material world, and ultimately, our fear of death.

What it may come down to ultimately, is our fear of our own mortality.

Vickster
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 8:31:14 AM

Neurons: 7,211
I think it's ridiculous to "keep up with the Jones's" attitude. Everyone runs around trying to get the best car or the newest technology... Ipads, Iphones, Ipods.. and all it gets you is a person so obsessed with that new toy, that he doesn't pay attention to what's around him... like his wife and children. (and vs/vs) Everywhere you look people have their heads down texting/FB or whatever...needing to know what everyone else had for lunch... Really?? Is it that important?? Is that text so important that you have to read it without realizing that your going to crash into an oncoming car??? They say technology is moving us forward...but if you ask me... it's moving us backwards as a society. Enjoy what you have...your children, your partner, your pets, a roof over your head, the food you eat, your health, safety and security, a job... etc.. because a lot of people in this world don't have "the basics necessities." Wouldn't it be awful to be striving to get your child his next bite of food to survive than your next new tv???
Jon
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 8:57:23 AM

Neurons: 26
uuaschbaer wrote:
A lack of ambition? Without a want for something life would be as dull as a game in which you cheat. It shouldn't even matter whether that thing we desire exists (or can exist), should it? Maybe it's entirely an irrational desire. (Perhaps instilled in us by natural selection to keep us from hurling ourselves off cliffs for wants of nothing.)

I'd probably want some wings if I had just hurled myself off a cliff. More to the point, I disagree with assigning a diagnosis simply of someone lacking in ambition. I'm sure anyone can relate to the vague feeling that you are without/missing something and at the same time knowing it is something important despite not having a definite, concrete definition of what it is. Could compare it to packing for a vacation and while you're driving to airport, having a feeling that you forgot something, or even leaving home for school/errands/booty calls without phone, money, homework, or..sheaths.

I don't know how you linked a lacking to this scenario, because, in my very singular opinion, it is human nature to strive to correct absences/inconsistencies. Could call it an inherent-ambition.

What I think those who can't rid themselves of that feeling of perceived-deficiency, despite possessing all the items on the 'Life-fulfillment checklist', is a lack of connection. Possibly could be due to a tendency that exists wherein emphatic focus is set on reaching the goal or attaining the position, which coule rob a person from allowing the depth of achievement's true value to permeate into who they are as a person..and simply put any achievement only possesses the value which you place on it. No value -> no fulfillment -> uncertainty -> evocation of an internal lacking.

Thoughts?

Wanderer
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 10:21:59 AM

Neurons: 78,988
Wer, It is hard not draw attention to some glaring irregularities in you post. Peaces missing? You do know how to spell, right? You've always been so kind to point out irregularities anywhere that you might imagine them, so I suppose you would appreciate the critique.

It is also a glaring fact that a person who seems to hate mankind in general, God and spirituality specifically, would come to the P&R section and complain that there is no peace and then be surprised when I just can't keep quite. It shows that you have no knowledge of the philosophical concept that peace comes from rightness of spirit and obedience to God to direct your steps. Maybe there is a pill out there or an electrical shock you could get that would help you, but you seem to be always coming back here. What an oddity your attitude is to me.
wercozy
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 11:43:37 PM

Every one seemed to get the literary device 'Peace(s)' except you.

I think you are just a hateful, hate filled person.
HWNN1961
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:13:07 AM

Neurons: 9,763
I think that the point of this thread is valid. It inspires introspection. A worthy goal for TFD.

If I understand correctly, Cozy is interested in what gives meaning to life. There isn't one answer to that.
wercozy
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:21:37 AM

BINGO!
ludic
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 1:36:01 AM

Neurons: 3,544
Well, wercozy is blunt at times, she sure would agree too. I think she's rankled Wanderer just enough to have her vent through the slightest apparent chink she finds. Brick wall

That being said, the word-play on 'peace' was obvious, and the thread is of merit. And I, for one, always appreciate the presence of a contradictory opinion on the forum, because that is what gives any discussion verdure. Applause
uuaschbaer
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 4:39:21 AM

Jon wrote:
uuaschbaer wrote:

I'd probably want some wings if I had just hurled myself off a cliff. More to the point, I disagree with assigning a diagnosis simply of someone lacking in ambition. I'm sure anyone can relate to the vague feeling that you are without/missing something and at the same time knowing it is something important despite not having a definite, concrete definition of what it is. Could compare it to packing for a vacation and while you're driving to airport, having a feeling that you forgot something, or even leaving home for school/errands/booty calls without phone, money, homework, or..sheaths.

I don't know how you linked a lacking to this scenario, because, in my very singular opinion, it is human nature to strive to correct absences/inconsistencies. Could call it an inherent-ambition.

Up till here we are in perfect agreement, I think. I identified ambition as the reason we want more from life than we have. Therefore, I thought, that which is missing from your life is best described not as your neighbour's car in your driveway, or a romantic interest, but hypernymically as 'a lack of ambition'; it's a double negative.

Jon wrote:

What I think those who can't rid themselves of that feeling of perceived-deficiency, despite possessing all the items on the 'Life-fulfillment checklist', is a lack of connection. Possibly could be due to a tendency that exists wherein emphatic focus is set on reaching the goal or attaining the position, which coule rob a person from allowing the depth of achievement's true value to permeate into who they are as a person..and simply put any achievement only possesses the value which you place on it. No value -> no fulfillment -> uncertainty -> evocation of an internal lacking.

Thoughts?

Sounds very sensible to me. To make something concrete and worldly happen the rational path of setting goals and working out ways of achieving them is very efficient, but in order to be happy it is imperative to listen to your feelings and emotions––if only because happiness is a feeling, not an entry on a checklist––and behave hedonistically.
Cat
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 9:32:54 AM

Neurons: 194,017
What's missing?

Inner peace.

However one gets it, including religion or excluding religion.

Harboring negative thoughts about others steals ones own peace.
wercozy
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 11:53:08 PM

"Harboring negative thoughts about others steals ones own peace." Yeah!

Harboring negative thoughts also leads to:
A
N
T
s

in the brain.

Automatic
Negative
Thought
s

ANTs LOL!

Nabi
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 10:58:52 AM

Neurons: 117
I agree that having ambitions is what gives us momentum in life and, as I've read somewhere, also increases longevity.
But I have also noticed that sometimes we are so obsessed with ambitions and goals that we don't spend time to enjoy what we already have. Every time, we try to achieve our goals, after we achieved it we immediately move to the next goal, and it goes on and on. Never do we stop to enjoy what we have achieved so far. Therefore, we are always filled with ambitions and fear of failure.
So the missing element for some people I think is "Enjoying what we have"
kingfisher
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 1:21:27 PM

Neurons: 633
Nabi, you are correct. Not only enjoying what we have, but slowing down enough to enjoy the simple things.

Life seems to go by in a blur; this leads to dissatisfaction. Take the time to focus your attention on things, even little things, and enjoy them.
Cat
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 2:08:45 PM

Neurons: 194,017
I was raised with a "what have you done lately" doctrine. It can be applied to both positive and negative events. I agree with kingfisher who said: Not only enjoying what we have, but slowing down enough to enjoy the simple things. Thanks for that wise reminder, kingfisher.

Contrary to many people's strategy, I also believe in taking the time to process events that happen to me that are unhappy. I'm not talking about indulging in self-pity but properly processing them before going on. I have been able to move forward without an excess of emotional baggage by doing this after bad experiences.
uuaschbaer
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 2:14:59 PM

Cat wrote:
Contrary to many people's strategy, I also believe in taking the time to process events that happen to me that are unhappy. I'm not talking about indulging in self-pity but properly processing them before going on. I have been able to move forward without an excess of emotional baggage by doing this after bad experiences.

So true! I don't know how people can live their lives without doing this; I'm bound to it.