mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Jack Benny (1894) Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 95,514
Jack Benny (1894)

Benny made his vaudeville debut playing the violin in 1912. After discovering a talent for comedy while in the navy, he returned to vaudeville as a comedian. He made his film debut in 1927 and appeared in 18 films between 1930 and 1945. His weekly radio show—1932 to 1955—and TV show—1950 to 1965—won loyal audiences, and he became famous for a unique comic style characterized by subtle verbal inflection, meaningful pauses, and the stage image of a vain, stingy man. What was Benny's real name? More...
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 6:01:00 AM

Neurons: 6,040
The punchline here is still the best ever.

A master of the carefully timed pregnant pause, Benny and his writers used it to set up what is popularly (but incorrectly) believed to be the longest laugh in radio history. It climaxed an episode (broadcast March 28, 1948) in which Benny borrowed neighbor Ronald Colman's Oscar and was returning home when accosted by a mugger (voiced by comedian Eddie Marr). After asking for a match to light a cigarette, the mugger demanded, "Don't make a move, this is a stickup. Now, come on. Your money or your life." Benny paused, and the studio audience—knowing his skinflint character—laughed. The robber then repeated his demand: "Look, bud! I said your money or your life!" And that's when Benny snapped back, without a break, "I'm thinking it over!" This time, the audience laughed louder and longer than they had during the pause.

Christine
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 9:42:26 AM

Neurons: 15,842
I love his humor.

My library had a cassette (along time ago)of his radio humor. I would walk while I was listening. One skit I remember was about his tie and a friend remarked on why the tie had two little appendages at the top. Benny said, "My wife started to knit a sweater but it was too little."
guitar
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 10:24:59 PM

Neurons: 51
I liked when he played that he was going to play his violin standing beside a white pillar the he never played