Loving is accepting the flaws and imperfections of your special someone...Pray
Christine
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:07:17 PM

Neurons: 15,842
I don't know, but I love it!!
Isaac Samuel
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:46:54 PM

Neurons: 1,222
SIMPLY PUT,LOVING IT IS LIKING IT,BUT THERE ARE ZILLION HALLMARK INTERPRETATIONS TO CHOOSE FROM TO DEFINE THE WORD.
THE BEST DEFINITION IS ALWAYS THE ONE THAT YOU CAN CONJURE UP.
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:38:22 PM

Neurons: 6,040
I've wondered why in tennis someone who has zero has love as in 40-love I'd prefer 40-bupkus. 40-love is well a "loving" way to put that the poorer player is really no good.
early_apex
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:49:59 PM

Neurons: 12,855
Joseph Glantz wrote:
I've wondered why in tennis someone who has zero has love as in 40-love I'd prefer 40-bupkus. 40-love is well a "loving" way to put that the poorer player is really no good.

The term comes from the French word for egg, l'oeuf as in goose egg, to indicate zero.
early_apex
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:56:04 PM

risadr wrote:
How do you define this word?

This is the best definition I have been able to find:

Love
1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

johnw
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:13:51 PM

Neurons: 177
Is love possible without trust?
killacasey
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:29:32 PM

Neurons: 197
Love isn't a noun at my house. It's a verb that is so complex a cliff notes explanation won't do. The easiest way to define love is to look at your grandchild. If you don't have one yet you'll have to wait until you get one for the definition. What every sense experiences, added all together, is the true definition of true love.
KC
kaliedel
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 4:34:33 PM

Neurons: 1,029
Wuv...twue wuv.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:16:54 PM

Neurons: 3,101
risadr wrote:

Not always easily describable but a wonderfully positive thing !

Hmm. The good in life.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:18:29 PM

Neurons: 3,101
risadr wrote:

I often spell it "la'hov." I saw it spelled out once this way in the title of a song by some band, although I can't remember its name at the moment. I frequently spell it this way at the end of letters to be a little more unique in my final expression of affection toward good friends or loved ones.
early_apex
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 8:19:41 AM

johnw wrote:

I think not. We could mis-apply the word to something more shallow and say, "I love ice cream", but that diminishes the true depth of emotion that love carries.

Done properly, I think loving someone entails a complete abandonment of self interest for the sake of another person, clinging only to a wishful hope that your love will be returned and you will not be hurt badly. To start with, transparency and vulnerability -- trust builds from there.
Profman
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 10:37:55 AM

Neurons: 24
I think 'love' is the only word that has different meanings when applied to different persons or things. For example, love for one's boloved is love + lust; for mother it is love + respect + a feeling of 'I'm-a-part-of-her'; for God it is love + awe + mystery, for things we use this word just to express our likeness.
Profman
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 10:45:30 AM

Neurons: 24
Sorry! The last word of my post be read as 'liking' instead of 'likeness'. Thanx
arthbard
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 6:29:55 PM

Neurons: 189
I rather like Heinlein's definition: "Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own."
krmiller
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:28:30 PM

Neurons: 663
Mawwage. Mawwage is what bwings us togevaw today...

kaliedel wrote:
Wuv...twue wuv.

wiw fowwow you fowewwaw...

True love, obviously, is unstoppable by death.
Betsy D.
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 12:17:35 AM

Neurons: 558
kaliedel wrote:
Wuv...twue wuv.

"Death cannot stop true love; all it can do is delay it for awhile."

One of my all-time favorite movies...Drool

Betsy D.
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 12:22:01 AM

Neurons: 558
Love is manifested in so many ways...in kindness, compassion, passion, friendship, creation/appreciation of beauty... I think one could fill volumes in an attempt to fully define it...
kaliedel
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 12:28:07 AM

Neurons: 1,029
Betsy D. wrote:
kaliedel wrote:
Wuv...twue wuv.

Apparently many of us learned about true love from The Princess Bride.
MiTziGo
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 8:38:11 AM

Neurons: 6,142
Betsy D. wrote:
kaliedel wrote:
Wuv...twue wuv.

"Sonny, true love is the greatest thing in the world. Except for a nice MLT, a mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe. They're so perky, I love that. But that's not what he said. He distinctly said "to blave." And, as we all know, "to blave" means "to bluff." So you're probably playing cards, and he cheated..."

Brilliant. One of the greatest movies of all time.
risadr
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 10:20:58 AM

Neurons: 3,545
killacasey wrote:
Love isn't a noun at my house. It's a verb that is so complex a cliff notes explanation won't do. The easiest way to define love is to look at your grandchild. If you don't have one yet you'll have to wait until you get one for the definition. What every sense experiences, added all together, is the true definition of true love.
KC

I don't have any grandchildren, but I have a toddler.

When she was born, I thought that was the most love I had ever experienced.
When she smiled at me for the first time, I thought that was the most love I'd ever experienced.
The first time she said "Mama," I thought that was the most love I had ever experienced.
When she took her first steps, I thought that was the most love I had ever experienced.
When she didn't want anyone else when she was sick for the first time, I thought that was the most love I had ever experienced.

Every day, I love this little person more than I ever had before, and more than I ever thought possible.

johnw wrote:

Based on my previous example, love is absolutely possible without trust. I think that it's romantic love that isn't possible without trust.
nightwalker
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:56:47 PM

Neurons: 87
love is about finding compromises because you can't live without a person!
cleopatra clover
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:19:50 AM

Neurons: 999
Love without trust won't last but love with trust,commitment and respect can last forever.Boo hoo!
Love is something that everyone needs in life. If the world is without love, who knows what will happen.
fred
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:25:56 AM

Neurons: 4,457
"Ancient Greek: Meaning of Love

Affection (storge, στοργη) – a natural love
- fondness through familiarity, especially between family members or people who have otherwise found themselves together by chance.

Friendship (philia, φιλια) – an admiration love
- a strong bond existing between people who share a common interest or activity.

Eros (έρως)– a passionate love
- love in the sense of ‘being in love’.

Charity (agapē, αγαπη) – a sacrificial love
- love directed towards one’s neighbor which does not depend on any lovable qualities that the object of love possesses."

http://somethingboutrenes.wordpress.com/2007/04/24/ancient-greek-meaning-of-love/

fred
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:28:43 AM

"There are 11 Hebrew words that have been rendered "love" in the RSV, a number of which are related (i.e., belong to a common word set), some are very common, and some are rather rare.

For instance, רעיה (ra‘yāh) occurs only in the Song of Songs with reference to a "female companion, girlfriend, beloved" (HALOT).

Less rare but rendered similarly in some verses in the Song of Songs is דוד (dōd) beloved, lover; in other verses in the Song of Songs, as well as in a couple of verses in Ezekiel and in one verse in Proverbs, the word means "love (lust)" (HALOT).

One of the most rare words rendered love in the Hebrew Bible is חבב (khōbēb), which occurs only in Deuteronomy 33:3. wherein the text speaks of God loving the people (HALOT).

Also rare (occurring only in Jeremiah and in Ezekiel) is the verb עגב (plural participle = ‘ōgebīm) : to desire sensuously (HALOT). A cognate of עגב (occurring only in Ezekiel) is עגבה (‘agābāh) : passion (HALOT).

Another rare word is ידיד (yādīd) —1. beloved; —2. adjective lovely; a related word is the hapax legomenon ידידות (yedīdōt) = love (song) Psalm 45:1. (HALOT), rendered "wedding" (song) in some versions.

The Qal inflection of the verb רחם occurs once in the Hebrew Bible meaning to love (object YHWH) Psalm 18:2[1 in English versions] (HALOT). There are quite a number of occurrences of the same verb in the Piel inflection meaning to greet (meet) someone with love, take pity on someone (HALOT). There are five occurrences in Hosea and one in Proverbs in which the Pual inflection of the verb means to find mercy (HALOT).

The usual word set for "love" in the Hebrew Bible is the verb אהב (’āhēb) in its various inflections (Qal, Piel, Niphal, Pealal, and Hiphil) and its cognate nouns ’ahab, ’ōhab, and ’ahebāh (אהבה). The semantic range of אהב includes "to like" as well as "to love" (HALOT).

Then there is the most variously rendered word in the Hebrew Bible (there are nearly as many different renderings as there are English versions): חסד (khesed). Here is the semantic range of the word as presented in HALOT:
—1. joint obligation between relatives, friends, host and guest, master and servant; closeness, solidarity, loyalty; [...] lasting loyalty, faithfulness [...] protection favour of the king [...]
—2. חסד in God's relationship with the people or an individual faithfulness, goodness, graciousness
—3. plural [...] the individual actions resulting from solidarity: a) (of people) godly action, achievements [...] proofs of mercy

Note that the word "love" does not appear in the semantic range presented by HALOT; however, the words "love", "loving", and "loving-kindness" are quite prominent in English renderings of חסד (khesed):
All the ways of the LORD are loving [חסד (khesed)] and faithful" Psalm 25:10. (NIV).
Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love [חסד (khesed)] Psalm 107:8. (NIV).
The refrain throughout Psalm 136,. His love [חסד (khesed)] endures forever (NIV)."

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showthread.php?t=108306
nick
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 10:52:04 AM

Neurons: 98
Love is one of manifestations of the human tendency to over-complicate things. When we need nutrition, we create french cuisine. The need for shelter we turn into mansions. Necessity to communicate leads to creation of forums like this one. And finally, the reproduction instincts swell to elaborate idea of love.

The purpose of this post, of course, is to provide a juicy target for stone throwing :)
fred
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 12:28:57 PM

nick wrote:
Love is stone throwing :)

[image not available]
risadr
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 3:26:18 PM

cleopatra clover wrote:
Love without trust won't last but love with trust,commitment and respect can last forever.Boo hoo!
Love is something that everyone needs in life. If the world is without love, who knows what will happen.

What about the love of a parent for his or her child? Is that not unconditional love, meaning that it doesn't rely on the presence of trust in the relationship? Similarly, is not the love between siblings unconditional? What about the love that a pet has for its master?
fred
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 3:29:19 PM

Should Jews love Hitler?
risadr
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 9:42:35 PM

fred wrote:
Should Jews love Hitler?

I vote always "no," on this one. In fact, no one should. But that could just be my Jew-ish bias speaking.