The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Sentences that are statements? Options
Anktsunamunh
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:03:21 PM

Neurons: 173
Hi everyone!

I was reading a punctuation guide provided by "TOOTS" (a member of these forums), which you can find at: http://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/punctuationtext.htm. In the "Full stops [.]" section it says:

Full stops (periods in the USA) go at the end of sentences that are statements.

What's the difference between "sentence" and "statement"? Are there sentences that are not statements?
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:16:55 PM

Neurons: 597,281
I suppose a question is a sentence that is not a statement. It will be interesting to read what others say about this.
RuthP
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:25:56 PM

Neurons: 87,618
Yes, there are sentences which are not statements. "Where are you going?" is a question rather than a statement.
abcxyz
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:27:12 PM

Neurons: 3,200
A statement is a sentence that states something. Examples: The murderer was wearing blue jeans. I did not go to school yesterday.
Yes, there are sentences that are not statements. Examples: Oh my God! What are you doing here?
RuthP
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:28:38 PM

Neurons: 87,618
And, abcxyz has managed a question and an exclamation all in one!
Anktsunamunh
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 2:06:41 PM

So, a statement is always a declaration of something, be it an affirmation or a negation, while a sentence can be a declaration, an exclamation or a question.

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen. Don't forget to smile.
abcxyz
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 4:35:07 PM

Neurons: 3,200
Thanks for that last sentence, Ank. Is 'don't forget to smile' a statement? It is a wish, and it does not really state anything. But if we change the sentence into 'I hope that you all will never forget to smile', the sentence becomes a statement. Am I correct? Like if we change the sentence 'What are you doing here?' into 'My question to you is what you are doing here', it becomes a statement. In the sentence 'don't forget to smile' technically the speaker is not giving any information about anything. But in the sentence 'I hope that you all will never forget to smile' the speaker is stating that s/he has the hope that the listeners/readers will never forget to smile. So wishes and commands aren't really statements, are they? Yet they end in full stops... or am I getting something wrong here?
EDIT: I think statements are the sentences which are either true or false and all sentences that end in period are not necessarily statements... is that correct?
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Friday, February 4, 2011 3:34:28 AM

Ank, you knew all the time, didn't you? (Now is that a question or a statement?
Anktsunamunh
Posted: Sunday, February 6, 2011 3:25:24 AM

abcxyz:
Thanks! I think you've found the exact clue to say if a sentence is a statement (a declaration) or not: the possibility of being judged as true, false (or even possible).

jacobusmaximus:
1) No, I didn't know the answer, it was a real query. My last post was purely an evaluative response after the comments.

2) If your sentence had only been "Ank, you knew all the time", it would be a statement, for sure, for it would have been a declaration that could have been qualified either as true, false or possible.

- The last part "Didn't you?" is a closed question per se (a question that that requires a yes or no answer and is useful for checking facts), hence it is not a statement (if we follow abcxyz's contribution, a question can never be qualified as true or false).

- Now, the whole sentence ("Ank, you knew all the time, didn't you?") is a type of question called "question tag" (by British grammarians) or "tag question" (by their American cunterparts): a grammatical structure in which a declarative statement or an imperative is turned into a question by adding an interrogative fragment (the "tag"). This type of questions can be an indicator of politeness, emphasis, or irony, and they are sometimes also called "leading questions" (specially in legal settings) because they are mostly used to gain acceptance of your view or opinion. So, if the conclusions were correct, "Ank, you knew all the time, didn't you?" is grammatically a question, not a statement.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Sunday, February 6, 2011 6:59:02 AM

Ank, after all that I am now absolutely convinced that you did know the answer all the time! (Didn't you?)