mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
constructive criticism Options
MTC
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 9:43:07 AM

Neurons: 8,606
Your service provides an invaluable opportunity for participants to discuss serious and interesting topics without excluding wit and humor. Unfortunately, kids have largely taken over the forum and smiley faces abound. (Bad idea, the smiley faces which loudly invite inanity.) The forum is rapidly approaching a chat room, if it is not there already. Most posts are one liners without substance. Take an objective look at today's posts or yesterday's posts on the Word of the Day, for example. "Where's the beef?" The posts add nothing to our knowledge. I do not envy you the task of reforming, but as the forum's host you have a responsibility to change the tone before your site swirls down the drain entirely.

MTC
redgriffin
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 11:34:11 AM

Neurons: 160,127
So you don't like emoticons?? I think in some posts that they are very nice; but that's me.
RuthP
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 12:01:04 PM

Neurons: 87,618
Emoticons can be a great help in written communication, where tone of voice is not evident.

Yes, sometimes people on the forums are flip. Sometimes they are flip on a topic I would prefer to discuss more seriously, but there are many individuals participating here; mine is not the only opinion. Best thing I've found to do is just ignore any undesired flippancy and make a serious post. Anyone else interested will respond to that.

This is not generational. There are a few very much younger (teens) participants, many of whom post thoughtful, surprisingly deep entries. And, a good many of those trenchant one-liners come from the (much) older generations, here.
etrusca
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 12:30:53 PM

Neurons: 81,278
I agree with RuthP
worldsclyde
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 12:35:05 PM

Neurons: 2,390
I will readily throw a flippant remark out there when a topic has lost its relevance, or to comment on its silliness from the start. Is 49 still a kid? To see what a ruined forum looks like, check out some of the comments following a Yahoo article. We still have a ways to go.
tootsie
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 1:46:44 PM

Neurons: 23,730
to redgriffin, RuthP, etrusca, and worldsclyde - thank you. I read MTC's post this afternoon and felt a wee bit affronted and was unable to say anything articulate and appropriate because I know so little and want to learn so much, from young and old alike. As everyone has told me, don't take things personally, but to be called a kid entering into a chatroom was a real eye-opener, how very odd to feel that a teacher had given me the ruler across me bum again. I appreciate everything that everyone has to say and respect that totally. If sometimes we have a bit of fun, how can that be wrong?? We are still learning each others experiences, expectations, doubts, queries - I may run out of adjectives now, so everyone, get on my case and teach me, because I want to learn, whatever age you are. Emoticon denied. T xx
kitten
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 4:39:43 PM

Neurons: 7,420
tootsie wrote:
to redgriffin, RuthP, etrusca, and worldsclyde - thank you. I read MTC's post this afternoon and felt a wee bit affronted and was unable to say anything articulate and appropriate because I know so little and want to learn so much, from young and old alike. As everyone has told me, don't take things personally, but to be called a kid entering into a chatroom was a real eye-opener, how very odd to feel that a teacher had given me the ruler across me bum again. I appreciate everything that everyone has to say and respect that totally. If sometimes we have a bit of fun, how can that be wrong?? We are still learning each others experiences, expectations, doubts, queries - I may run out of adjectives now, so everyone, get on my case and teach me, because I want to learn, whatever age you are. Emoticon denied. T xx

Hello,

I think I can safely speak for those who use this format that we all enjoy using it and we appreciate the opportunity to do so. Please go back and look for our Holiday Thread thanking---TFD. To assume or believe we do not take, TFD, seriously just because some of us like to use smilies or leave one sentence replies is quite telling, to me.Think I love smilies and wish we had more but, again, that is just me.

There were new people on the format yesterday who seemed to just want to show they were here.Dancing If you read this forum you will notice most are welcomed by somone. It is a friendly forum. We have many discussions on a variety of topics/subjects.

We also gently correct someone.............and then there are those who are not so gentle and there are some of us who will speak up...........it is a forum with wit, laughter, games, and serious thought.

You were recognized and thanked yesterday for your input...........I, too, thank you for the extra information you offered. We all try to acknowledge the threads-----but we do not expect to be thanked everytime we post.

peace out, >^,,^<
Ray41
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 7:39:42 PM

Neurons: 45,980
TFD has a massive base of highly intelligent people who give freely of their time and knowledge. This in turn, gives students and others, whose native language is not English, the opportunity to converse and discuss issues which would not be available to them elsewhere.
You will see flip remarks but they are often a way of lightening the mood when the topic gets bogged down in rhetoric.
You will see smileys as they convey some humour, and the old adage of 'laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone' is still relevant, even on a forum where really serious and in depth discussions are quite common.
I often use the saying ,'life is like a huge white board with one tiny black spot in the corner, people see that black spot and fail to see the white' Think
If you go looking for negatives, you will always find them, that is why I look for positives as they are the white portion of the board, and I can move forward realising that this world is only as good or bad as you wish to perceive it.
I am sorry that you find that smileys are 'inane', Personally I love them and find that an appropriately placed smiley can, and does, make a post more readable. Have a nice day Angel Angel
tootsie
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 7:47:36 PM

thanks kitten, it has taken us hours to defrag and get back to normal because we were attacked by a virus after my last post. I really appreciate your sentiments. T x
Alias
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 8:09:48 PM

Neurons: 1,993
You are outvoted MTC! So far its unanimous. Whistle Dancing
With all due respect I also think you might be wrong about:

MTC wrote: "Unfortunately, kids have largely taken over the forum and smiley faces abound. (Bad idea, the smiley faces which loudly invite inanity"

Most of the people using emoticons are old fogeys like me..The kids you speak of are fantastic on this site...The younger people I have encountered her are intelligent, thoughtful, eager to learn, friendly and some of the most courteous.

MTC, again, with all due respect....Chillax! Angel (laughs) I look forward to reading your posts on quote: "more serious and interesting topics".
Have a look in knowledge and Culture, Philosophy and Religion and Politics MTC....There are some great discussions going on in there.
Then of course I think we would all like to see what books you are reading and why. Books that changed your life.
What your opinions are on Buddha saying. "People with opinions just go around bothering each other". Or perhaps your view of the appalling state of middle east politics...Its your call MTC.Angel
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 8:54:38 PM

Neurons: 594,898
I found this forum after chasing some English word and finding TFD dictionaries. I'm a member of couple of other forums, Finnish and English and this is the least juvenile chatroom I've encountered. The teenie members here (who have the patience to stay) are not at all empty chatters. Some old cooties like me have lot to learn from our youngsters. Some of our youngster have even learned here not to use text speak when discussing serious matters under forum regulations. Liar

Hey, MTC. No need to be so serious all the time! If you want to talk seriously of T.S. Eliot or of the use of definitive articles in Middle English you can do it here but also if you want to talk about Egyptian rioting or fly-fishing in America. Nothing is denied if kept within regulations.

During my one and a half year here I've learned a lot of English, got a lot of new friends around the world and further established my belief of all the people in this globe being equally good and worth of meeting.
Babezy
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 9:08:53 PM

Neurons: 2,806
I'd like to add that forums seem to get ruined more from spiteful people than from silly ones. And I think TFD's forums are safer from trolls than most because they're connected to a dictionary site. My dad said that if I found myself in a big city when riots and looting broke out, I should take refuge in a bookstore. The same principle seems to apply to Internet ruffians.
ludic
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 11:08:17 PM

Neurons: 3,544
I love this forum. This forum attests the fact that you can feel at home anywhere in the world. The whole world is just a big family, with as many laughs as serious discussions; as many chidings as cheering ups Angel

And, as has been said before, the best thing is that it is connected to TFD, so all of us drifted here through a common interest, and TFD also acts as a blockade against the 'internet ruffians' :)
Alias
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 1:33:58 AM

Shortly after I signed up here at TFD there was a bit of toing and froing amongst a couple of members...it got a bit nasty (but nowhere near as nasty as many other forums) but due to to the maturity, persistence, goodwill and co-operation of the majority of members the spite and trolling ran out of steam. Everyone else just supported each other and continued to be erudite, kind, witty and very human..It worked.

Many members at TFD have been here for some time and most are very welcoming and supportive of other new and experienced members alike.

There is a definite sense of community and even after only 4 months I feel I belong. I have got to know the style and much more about other members and judging by their responses people are getting to know more about me, the person behind the avatar....It is both empowering and comforting...

Sometimes I just want a break from the hum drum and pettiness that can accumulate around ones life...There is often something here at TFD to amuse, inspire, stimulate and occasionally infuriate me (naah not for long..) Even when I hit a post or thread that is seriously getting up my nose, I will either post some irreverent comment, try to defuse the tension with wit, humour or just plain stupidity...or go to anothr thread ..or go and have a cup of tea and ponder the beauty and industry of nature. Sometims I just turn on the Teev and irradiate my brain with the idiot box!...or go talk to a 3D human or see if I can convince another person to give me a cuddle....

Pax Vobiscum Angel
thar
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 3:44:19 AM

Neurons: 92,492
I agree with all these posts, there are great people here. There are also enough different areas so people can have have serious discussions or have a laugh. I is often the same people, who change their tone appropriately, and who might post seriously in politics or religion and then post a daft joke with smilies in the language section ( after the question is answered, of course).

And the great thing about the internet is, if something feels a bit silly to you, you can just ignore it and go back to serious discussion. There is no-one deliberately screwing things up. Are all the people you meet throughout the day so well-behaved?

As well as being fun, emotionally supportive, helpful, eye-opening and culturally expanding, and occasionally profound.
Applause ha
gradyone
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 4:43:24 AM

Neurons: 12,277

MTC, as much as I want to support your desire to blow the whistle on thread dumbing-down, I found the tone of your "constructive criticism" to be acidic, as in, perhaps something is eating you that has nothing to do with the behavior of FreeDELFians. You wouldn't be the first to misjudge the vitality through diversity of this site by overreacting to a few posts that stuck in your craw. To end your post with a call to the administrators to take action to prevent the forums from "going down the drain" is unrealistic and misguided: It is we, the members, who are responsible for smoothing the waters and catching the best wind in our sails.

After just ten days here you convinced yourself that you are savvy enough to put a two-year forum site in its place. You are in an orientation period, my friend. Let the faux pas you committed by your creation of this topic be a lesson to you: Research your topic, acknowledge the insights of those who came before you and help to improve the site by your example. You have a wealth of knowledge to contribute. There is a vast reservoir of knowledge already in place and available through the forum search function. Please don't offend us again with stentorian cries to admins to correct what is ours to perfect.

And have a good time being helpful, smart and cool beans like your fellow FreeDELFians. . Angel
blue2
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:03:01 AM

Neurons: 23,044
I'd just like to chime in and say that my fellow FreeDELFians have put it quite nicely. Initially, I joined so I could assist non-natives who ask for help with their English. But I have found the community to be much more than that. The contributions are intelligent, insightful, witty and yes, sometimes silly. There is nothing wrong with that. And at some time something off-putting may slip in. It doesn't make the rest dirty.

I don't contribute so much to discussions, but I read; I have learned from the good folks here and I have laughed.

Besides, you know what they say about all work and no play.
thar
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:16:16 AM

Neurons: 92,492
May I even go far to say the interaction (often silliness) is necessary to keep this place vibrant. After stumbling on this place I have looked at other forums, and while some may be far more restrained, they are also very slow. Post a question and you are lucky to get an answer three weeks later, maybe because people are not motivated or don't feel qualified to respond.

Here, post and you will probably get an answer the same day, maybe within minutes (unless your post is reeeally boring!). It seems a lot of people hang around a bit before a post comes up that is close to their heart, so they contribute, and having taken the plunge, feel free to post anywhere about anything. I am sure there are forums out there restricted to only serious academic, theological, or lexicological discussions, but I can bet they will not be so responsive, so accepting, so diverse, or so silly!
abcxyz
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:12:44 AM

Neurons: 3,200
MTC wrote:
Your service provides an invaluable opportunity for participants to discuss serious and interesting topics without excluding wit and humor. Unfortunately, kids have largely taken over the forum and smiley faces abound. (Bad idea, the smiley faces which loudly invite inanity.) The forum is rapidly approaching a chat room, if it is not there already. Most posts are one liners without substance. Take an objective look at today's posts or yesterday's posts on the Word of the Day, for example. "Where's the beef?" The posts add nothing to our knowledge. I do not envy you the task of reforming, but as the forum's host you have a responsibility to change the tone before your site swirls down the drain entirely.

MTC

d'oh! Whistle Silenced Shhh Sick Boo hoo! Not talking Eh? Think Dancing Shame on you Brick wall Speak to the hand Applause Drool Anxious

Just yanking your chain Angel
tootsie
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:20:32 AM

thar wrote:
May I even go far to say the interaction (often silliness) is necessary to keep this place vibrant. After stumbling on this place I have looked at other forums, and while some may be far more restrained, they are also very slow. Post a question and you are lucky to get an answer three weeks later, maybe because people are not motivated or don't feel qualified to respond.

Here, post and you will probably get an answer the same day, maybe within minutes (unless your post is reeeally boring!). It seems a lot of people hang around a bit before a post comes up that is close to their heart, so they contribute, and having taken the plunge, feel free to post anywhere about anything. I am sure there are forums out there restricted to only serious academic, theological, or lexicological discussions, but I can bet they will not be so responsive, so accepting, so diverse, or so silly!

Thank you for a great post, I couldn't agree more. When I first joined TFD I was way too shy to voice an opinion, but it didn't take long with the excellent diversity of posters on this forum for me to gain confidence and give an opinion or ask a question. I know I'm not always right but the coaxing and cajoling and encouragement I have received through direct opinion and also wit and humour is profound. Yesterday I felt "shot down" and I went back to square one and couldn't reply straight away until I knew how the rest of you felt, today I feel nurtured and informed again and ready to go on learning from you all. I know we can be silly, but in any event I am definitely inspired by this forum and another I was invited to recently - as kitten says, peace out - T x
MTC
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:25:29 PM

Neurons: 8,606
...and so, the predictable firestorm of criticism having abated, and upon greater reflection of the merits of The Free Dictionary forum, and further research having been undertaken on emoticons, and in consideration of the occasionally valid criticism of my comments, I stand before you now, partially ‘umbled and duly censured and singed, and express regret if my comments personally offended anyone in what appears to be the entire global community from Finland to California. Some of my views have been tempered in the fire of your collective retort. Please don’t let my cranky utterances stop you. Emote at will!!!! Trip through the tulips and dance in the sunshine! I will chime in from time to time with more positive comments, and promise to put a copy of “How to Win Friends and Influence People” under my pillow every night.
kitten
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:45:15 PM

Neurons: 7,420
Welcome, MTC. Angel

peace out, >^,,^<
Babezy
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:27:12 PM

Neurons: 2,806
Oh, we scored big with your membership, MTC! Thanks for the great answer, and hope you'll post early and often.
gradyone
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:32:50 PM

Neurons: 12,277
MTC wrote:
I stand before you now, partially ‘umbled and duly censured and singed, and express regret if my comments personally offended anyone in what appears to be the entire global community from Finland to California. Some of my views have been tempered in the fire of your collective retort.

Wonderful reply, MTC. You have taken a giant step through the labyrinth of personal styles and degrees of rebuke that make these forums entertaining. Welcome to party!
Alias
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 2:45:25 AM

MTC...a very clever ploy indeed I reckon!........criticise the forum, create a backlash of interest so we all get passionate and defend the site and ourselves and ultimately enter with a Bang...(ha ha).

6 hail Marys and dont do it again you naughty person!

P.s. Welcome.
blue2
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 4:17:58 AM

Neurons: 23,044
Welcome on board MTC.
Ray41
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 4:51:56 AM

Neurons: 45,980
Alias, I think MTC posted such a very correct and well written post that he should get a credit of 3 Hail Mary's,but, seeing we, in the 'land down-under' were excluded by this part of the said post, "what appears to be the entire global community from Finland to California",I believe he should recite the Hail Mary's every day until such time as he has consulted an Atlas and observes that the 'entire global community' is not just from 'Finland to California'. Just because we are upside down,looking up doesn't mean we are not here Think Eh?
MTC, welcome to TFD. Applause
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 5:46:45 AM

Neurons: 594,898
Ray, it is possible to draw a line from Finland to Australia and further to California. Just start drawing the line to South-East, not to South-West. Dancing

And welcome, MTC! At least you got more than one-liners as response ;-)
etrusca
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 5:48:18 AM

Neurons: 81,278
MTC. do you really exist? Your opening and closing are so near perfection that I am almost doubting the veracity of the story.

In every case welcome in this wonderful forumBoo hoo!
tootsie
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 10:45:21 AM

I love this forum. Someone hiccups (as I have done previously) and they embrace and guide you.

Welcome MTC - your enormous knowledge and experience is most desired by young and old alike. T x.
excaelis
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 1:45:13 PM

Neurons: 32,652
I was going to make a flippant remark here, but decided instead to be really impressed by the level of discourse on this thread. Thoughtful, reasonable and tolerant responses; self-defence without a descent to name-calling; consensus and resoluton. I like it here.

MTC: glad you stayed around, and glad you are thoughtful and open enough to re-examine your opinion. It's never easy to climb off a position you believe in, so thankyou.
ludic
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 2:10:25 PM

Neurons: 3,544
happice endingce Angel
Jimbob
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 9:47:30 PM

Neurons: 486
Looking forward to more of your excellent work MTC. Smiley faces may add a bit of colour.
srirr
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 11:39:27 PM

Neurons: 484,288
MTC, you know how to win hearts. Applause Welcome dear. You are a brilliant poster and I am sure you could be wonderful contributor to this forum. Glad that you are with us.

P.S: Special thanks to you for still considering me a kid. My wife and children don't consider me a kid now. Boo hoo!

wercozy
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 1:21:29 AM

Neurons: 3,480
JJ, it's been almost a year and a half for me also. We started about the same time. You obviously have more time on your hands than I do. I can't imagine writing 12 thousand posts. Yikes!Applause

The people who were the most vitriolic and negative no longer post here. Run out of the neighborhood I guess.Speak to the hand

When I first started out, I was attacked almost daily for sharing liberal and non-religious ideas.Not talking That can really take a toll on someone, so I dropped out Boo hoo! for a while and joined a liberal and non-religious forum I still belong to this day. Pray When I came back to TFD I found the people who were attacking me were attacking other people. Speak to the hand Some of my friends PM'd me and asked me to ignore them. Guess what? It worked.Applause

MTC, you're still under the spam watch so do be careful, at lease until you become an advanced member.d'oh!

In about 5 or 10 years, there will be no more need for typing text and posting emoticons to keep from being misunderstood. Web cam forums are popping up all over. Just talk into the microphone and smile pretty. Drool

la vie longtemps et prosparent. _\ll/