mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Hadrian (76 CE) Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 95,514
Hadrian (76 CE)

The nephew of Roman emperor Trajan, Hadrian became emperor when he was adopted and named successor just before Trajan's death, after years of intrigue. After executing his senatorial opponents and abandoning many of Trajan's conquests, he began to travel widely, and many of his accomplishments were related to his visits abroad, including the beginning of construction of Hadrian's Wall. The wall is one of the largest and most significant remains of the Roman occupation of what area? More...
tootsie
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 7:25:54 AM

Neurons: 23,730
His wall was my playground, many years ago, nowadays it's a truly beautiful heritage site and a tourist hotspot.

http://heritage-key.com/blogs/lyn/light-light-hadrians-wall-get-spectacular-light-show

jcbarros
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 10:43:34 AM

Neurons: 9,377
What can one playing at in there? Romans vs. Barbarians?
tootsie
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 11:29:50 AM

jcbarros wrote:
What can one playing at in there? Romans vs. Barbarians?

Applause hehehe, more likely hide and seek at Housesteads (Roman Fort) !!!!
excaelis
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 1:23:44 PM

Neurons: 32,652
I feel so bad for poor old Hadrian. He put in all that work trying to keep civilization safe from the Scots and now the buggers are all over the place !

@ tootsie ; You lucky person. I love Housesteads. Did you ever go to the little Mithraic temple near there ?

My favourite piece of Hadrian's wall graffiti; probably some poor shivering North African auxiliary :

Better ten years up an elephant's ass than one more week on the wall.
guitar
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 1:56:17 PM

Neurons: 51
excaelis wrote:
I feel so bad for poor old Hadrian. He put in all that work trying to keep civilization safe from the Scots and now the buggers are all over the place !

@ tootsie ; You lucky person. I love Housesteads. Did you ever go to the little Mithraic temple near there ?

My favourite piece of Hadrian's wall graffiti; probably some poor shivering North African auxiliary :

Better ten years up an elephant's ass than one more week on the wall.
some important information about the wall being built to divide the Scots and English conquest.
B355E
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 2:18:49 PM

Neurons: 1,064
Marguerite Yourcenar wrote a rather interesting novel about Hadrian's life - "Memoirs of Hadrian", it was in the form of a letter or a diary meant for his successor Marcus Aurelius (who, as we all know, should have been succeeded by Maximus the Gladiator ;)
tootsie
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 4:01:10 PM

aaww eX - don't feel so bad, I have one foot on either side of the wall, having scots ancestors too (ouch, straddling that wall does not help !). We used to cycle up there at weekends, a whole group of us kids. I was at college in N-U-T when they discovered Vindolanda, exciting stuff, got to visit the excavation and then share a much deserved half pint at the Twice Brewed. The Once Brewed was nearer to where I actually lived. Good memories. Cant remember the specifics, cos I was so young, (as in Mithraic Temple) but have enjoyed taking my lads, and my partner, and hopefully soon my grandkids back to where I grew. One of my sons is fascinated by the Roman Empire and in fact alludes to Maximus, probably because its also partly his name, bless. Now me homesick........