mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Simple Grammar Help !! Options
kai88
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 11:26:34 AM

Neurons: 15
"Only until the 1970, the idea of mobile phone has become popular and this was the time when the hand phones get HOT"

Should I use "have" or "has"? And "get" or "got"

Thank You Beforehand .

Best Regards,

Beginner English Learner .
etrusca
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 12:43:04 PM

Neurons: 85,451
I would say:
Not until 1970 the idea of mobile phone became popular, and since then hand phones got hot. bye
worldsclyde
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 1:27:09 PM

Neurons: 2,390
Not until 1970 has the idea of mobile phones become popular, and that was the time that hand phones got hot.
ANTON RAVINDRA
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 1:29:08 PM

Neurons: 3
Since you have mentioned until 1970, it should be "had" and the other underlined word should be "got"
worldsclyde
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 1:38:20 PM

Neurons: 2,390
ANTON RAVINDRA wrote:
Since you have mentioned until 1970, it should be "had" and the other underlined word should be "got"

No. HAS refers to the idea, which is current, ongoing. Got is correct.
excaelis
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 12:12:10 PM

Neurons: 32,652
It was not until the 1970's that the idea of mobile 'phones became popular, and that was when the demand for portable handsets heated up.
Rama
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 2:21:00 PM

Neurons: 39
worldsclyde wrote:
ANTON RAVINDRA wrote:

No. HAS refers to the idea, which is current, ongoing. Got is correct.

I think you are right
blue2
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 3:23:22 AM

Neurons: 23,044
Ex has got it spot on. Not until 1970 is referring to the past, when it began.

Only until the 1970, the idea of mobile phone has become popular and this was the time when the hand phones get HOT"

If you want to refer to the present, use since with present perfect.

Since 1970, the idea of mobile phones has become popular, as that was the time when hand held phones began to get "hot".

MiTziGo
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 3:46:48 PM

Neurons: 6,142
kai88 wrote:
"Only until the 1970, the idea of mobile phone has become popular and this was the time when the hand phones get HOT"

Should I use "have" or "has"? And "get" or "got"

I think excaelis's reworking of your sentence is excellent, but I wanted to give you some suggestions that might help you better understand some of the problems with your original sentence.

Original: "Only until the 1970"
Suggestions: "Only until" is a bit awkward in terms of phrasing, but it also does not seem to suit your needs in this context because the rest of the sentence indicates that this is the time when something was beginning (the popularity of mobile phones), but "only until" indicates the end or close of a time period. "Not before," "it was not until," or "beginning in" are all alternatives that might work better for your purposes in this sentence.

Also, when indicating a time period such as a decade, an "s" is placed at the end of the numbers to indicate this. So it would be "the 1970s," "the 1980s," "the 1920s," "the 2010s," etc.

Original:
"the idea of mobile phone has become popular"
Suggestions: "The idea of mobile phone" should either be "the idea of the mobile phone" or "the idea of mobile phones."
Also, I think "have/has" does not belong in this sentence (see more about "Present Perfect Tense").

Original:
and this was the time when the hand phones get HOT
Suggestions: "Get" is present tense, but you are talking about the past (the 1970s) and you use the word "was" earlier in the sentence, so you should be using the past tense "got."
"Hand phones" suggests that the phones are shaped to look like hands or are made out of hands. I think what you mean is "hand-held phones" which are phones that can be used when held in one's hand.

Here are some basic, grammatically correct versions of your sentence:
It was not until the 1970s that mobile phones became popular, and this was the time when hand-held phones got hot!
Beginning in the 1970s, the idea of the mobile phone became popular, and this was the time when the hand-held phone got hot!
The idea of the mobile phone first became popular in the 1970s, and it was then that hand-held phones became hot!
In the 1970s, the idea of the mobile phone began to gain popularity, and it was then that hand-held phones got hot!

Also, as an aside: The word "beforehand" in the sentence "Thank You Beforehand" is not quite right. The correct way to phrase this would be: "Thank you in advance" or even "Thank you in advance for your help."