Are versus is Options
BGreen
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 2:57:26 PM

Neurons: 18
Which is correct to use?
"Here is the number of records...."
or
"Here are the number of records..."

I am confused how to determine which to use. Is "number" considered plural so one would use "are"?
worldsclyde
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 3:02:52 PM

Neurons: 2,390
Without any context, both sound clumsy. "Here IS a number of records." or "Here ARE a number of records." is a better place to start. Give us a little context please.
BGreen
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 3:06:27 PM

My statement reads: "Here are the number of records closed by Mike Smith, Julie Brown, and Maxium Smart, in December 2009 and all of 2009."
bethm
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 3:19:38 PM

Neurons: 315
BGreen wrote:
"Here are the number of records closed by Mike Smith, Julie Brown, and Maxium Smart, in December 2009 and all of 2009."

Does that mean, "I'm going to tell you a number, the number of records blahblah,"? Then I would say "Here is the number".

Or does it mean more like "Mike, Julie etc closed a bunch of records, and here are the various records they closed."? In that case I would say, as you saw, I would omit talking about "number" and just focus on "the records".
BGreen
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 3:27:44 PM

I then post a table report with the number of records indicated. I do not show the records, again just a number per location for each individual.
bethm
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 3:45:41 PM

ooo - of course I should have asked for more context! I often leap without looking.

I now think "here are the numbers of records" IS correct. I'm going to tell you *three* numbers, one for each of Mike, Julie, etc, and here are the numbers.

Awkward all the way around. One consolation: if you had to explain this orally, it allows confusion. However if you're creating a written product, the reader reads your sentence and it's immediately followed by a table of numbers -- it's fine.
BGreen
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 3:55:54 PM

It, actually, reads "Here are the number of records for, blah, blah, and blah..." - "not numbers of records" so which is correct. iam really confused.
alliejoan
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 4:59:24 PM

Neurons: 72
I believe the correct answer would be "here are the numbers of records..."

The subject "number" is singular, and would normally take the singuular verb "is," however, in this case, the transmitter is furnishing you with more than one number, i.e. a number for each of the persons, so you are receiving "numbers," hence, "here are the numbers..."

Try reading the sentence without the "of records," which should probably be in parenthesis anyway, e.g. "here are the numbers (of records closed) for ..."
BGreen
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 5:26:08 PM

For this particular communication, I am providing multiple numbers for each individual.
For example: Each individual has a number for each location, up to 50 locations. This is why I stated "Here are the number of records for blahblah". If adding "locations" to the sentence. I feel, "are" is accurate and the word "number", potentially is too. I believe the sentence should read: "Here are the number of records, by location, for Mike, Jule, and Maxium" Thoughts???
This is making me crazy for some time now, :0)
bethm
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 5:43:34 PM

To tell the truth, I don't think it's getting better. :/ O do agree with alliejoan.

I think "are" is correct but the noun is still plural, "numbers". I hope the table itself is labeled in some way, or the table values make it apparent, so the reader sees each person has a number for each location. I would rather not add "location" into the sentence, and I like alliejoan's parentheses. So:

Here are the numbers (of records closed) for Mike, Julie, and Maxium.
Or you can switch things around some: The following table presents the number of records closed by each person, for each location.

OK, I'm making myself crazy too! :)
BGreen
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 5:53:35 PM

Thank you to everyone for your assistance. I have been thinking about this one for awhile. I do like bethm's sentence: "The following table presents the number of records closed by each person, for each location."
Happy New Year!
khanhminhlala
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 12:08:00 AM

Neurons: 84
"records" is the Object of the preposition "of", so it cannot be the subject of the sentence anymore. Instead, "the number" is the subject of sentence. I think:

- Here is the number of records... (a system of numbers)
- Here are the numbers of records...

:D
Gunjika
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 12:40:45 AM

Neurons: 1,127
- Here is the number of records.
- Here are the numbers of records.
- There are a number of records.

All these are correct, depending upon their context.

BTW, the topic reminded me of the following joke:

Interview Q: What are 2164 & 4238?
A: Numbers.

Tada...!Boo hoo!
GabhSigenod
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 2:45:35 PM

Neurons: 149,736
I learned: “is” for single, “are” for plural, usually sounds correct.
Ray41
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 11:39:44 PM

Neurons: 45,980

This is just a stab in the dark as, to me, there appears to be some ambiguity in what is actually required. I have been wrong before,so another error will not phase me.

Here is the total number of records individually closed by M,J and M.

Here is the number,in total, of individually closed records by M,J and M.