mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Anesthesia More Like Coma than Sleep Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 96,378
Anesthesia More Like Coma than Sleep

Though doctors and patients often describe being under general anesthesia as being asleep, a three-year study of the similarities and differences of sleep, anesthesia, and coma has shown that general anesthesia is actually more similar to a reversible, drug-induced coma. The only period in which there is any real overlap between anesthesia and sleep is in the lightest phases of anesthesia, which resemble the deepest states of sleep. Beyond that, patients' brains are more coma-like. Researchers believe the study will improve understanding of general anesthesia as well as help in the development of strategies for helping coma patients return to a conscious state. More...
thar
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 4:09:26 AM

Neurons: 93,426
Daemon is following celebrity trials! While we are here someone tell me why giving Michael Jackson anaesthesia at 10 am would solve his sleep problem!
Drew
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 1:00:18 PM

Neurons: 4,487
I guess I've always wrongly assumed that being asleep and being in a coma were very similar. Very interesting study.
Apple Blossom
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 3:27:19 PM

Neurons: 1,416
Yes, it is interesting. I, too, thought of the Michael Jackson trial and wondered about the implications. Really, it makes sense that anesthesia-induced unconsciousness is different than sleep. Anesthesia must be administered in carefully measured doses, and there's always the slightest risk that even a healthy person may not regain consciousness. The risk increases each time a person undergoes anesthesia.

I can see where this would apply to the MJ trial, since MJ was being administered an anesthestic rather than sleeping pills to induce "sleep."