mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
subject-verb agreement Options
learner
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 12:42:27 PM

Neurons: 78
I am overly confident that it is correct when I say: "I hope you enjoy this TV show." but what if I write: I hope you as well as everyone enjoys this TV show."

Let me tell you why I wrote the sentence above--Assume I uploaded a TV show for a good friend of mine on the Internet, and s/he thanked me for this. So, in reply I wrote: "I hope you as well as everyone on this forum enjoys the show." or "I hope everyone on this forum and you enjoy this TV show."

Learner

johnw
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 1:21:22 PM

Neurons: 177
"I hope you and everyone (on this forum) enjoy this show," is all you need to say. Lose "as well as" because 'and' does the job good. 'You and everyone' are plural together, and so lose too the 's'.

BTW, be careful ...(copyrite junk and all).
KentFlanagan
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 5:33:49 AM

Neurons: 13,624
Since the pronoun "you" is an indefinite pronoun, it can refer to one or more than one. So, simply stating "I hope you enjoy this show" can suffice if it is inclusive in the context in which it is used.
junior
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 10:43:49 AM

Neurons: 30
In subject verb agreement, we have to find out which subject is the verb referring to. In your sentence it is "you" as well as "everyone", which are plural, then "enjoy" should be used.
vr091073
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:53:10 AM

Neurons: 720
junior wrote:
In subject verb agreement, we have to find out which subject is the verb referring to. In your sentence it is "you" as well as "everyone", which are plural, then "enjoy" should be used.

I would also tend to view this as the rule of thumb to apply in the specified instance.