mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
RED TAPE Options
ellana
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:27:22 PM

Neurons: 127,363
Definition: Inflexible and often infuriating system of adherence to excessive rules and procedures through endless paperwork resulting in unnecessary delays in getting one’s business done.

Concensus of etymology, though obscure, seems to go back to England where red tape was used to bind legal documents (currently pink is used) with the first record being in the 16th century when Henry VIII rounded up 80+ petitions to have his marriage to Catherine of Aragon annulled, all apparently bound in red tape in the Vatican.

Why we are still mired in RED TAPE defies logic. I’m currently going through a live version of French red tape to get my immigration status updated as well as to get into the ‘universal healthcare’ (oops! dirty word for some of you) system. Not only is the paperwork endless but customer service is nonexistent, and the wait times diabolical. Brick wall In this age of sophisticated technology, there is no reason for lack of efficiency. My only consolation, and that’s not very comforting, is that French people feel as I do.

And then, a quick look at issues people elsewhere are facing such as floods in Australia, unrest in Tunisia, Haiti, the ongoing mess in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, extremism in the US, the list is endless, brings one back to what really matters. Is it easier to be patient than to be a victim of oppression, war, natural disasters? Yes! Amazing how RED TAPE has its redeeming values.
jcbarros
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 5:01:12 PM

Neurons: 9,377
Technology vs. latin people having their ways. But worst is in Slav countries.
GabhSigenod
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:26:42 PM

Neurons: 149,736
We call it “teip dherg”, and it stinks in any language.
Nabi
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:12:21 AM

Neurons: 117
Off course it's easier to be patient than to be in such countries. However, with the existing internet service, it's easy for countries to reduce paper work and do the civil service through making efficient internet websites. Modern countries, at least, should go through this way, instead of having paperwork.