mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Of Cats and Dogs. Options
dev_sircar
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 12:22:53 PM

Neurons: 5,932
A cat and a dog live in a house.
The master of the house shifts to a new house.
The dog is attached to its master and follows him into his new house.
The cat is attached to the house and remains in the old house, unless its new master ill treats it.
The dog is, by nature, faithful.
The cat is, by nature, selfish.
Comment.
bethm
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 12:33:54 PM

Neurons: 315
Thank the gods for cats!

And, er, I thought this little story was going to be one of those silly logic puzzles, where in this case, it turns out "master of the house" means the cat.

Believe me, I know. I have a cat. Er, a cat has me.
=^-^=
lynnsy
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 1:12:52 PM

Neurons: 12
I have also a cat that has me.
Rama
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 1:37:34 PM

Neurons: 39
what we have in this short story is true. Cats are symbol of selfishness and sycophancy. If you want to see whether what I say is true or not you can read “The Old Man at the Bridge” by Ernest Hemingway. In this story author symbolizes three animals dove, cat and goat and the character for cat is exactly the same as the character which is mentioned in the above short story
bethm
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 2:13:14 PM

lynnsy wrote:
I have also a cat that has me.

The one in your picture? How lovely! Whistle
blahblah
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 3:44:55 PM

Neurons: 570
Just to stir the pot a little.. Shhh ...here are a few takes on women and men being like dogs or cats (it's funny how the characteristics of both can be used to support the opinion of the writer..)..
quick disclaimer... none of these are my own opinions.

"Women are like cats. They sneak around, leave you when you’re dying, don’t get along with other cats, are attention hungry, temperamental and enjoy being petted.
Men on the other hand are like dogs. They get along with other dogs, on occasion have bones, are loyal, horny and simply put basic creatures."

"9 Reasons Men Are Like Cats
....they always miss the litter box...They rub up against you one day, and the next, they act like they've never seen you before... They leave hairs all over your bed....Feed them and they'll keep coming back....They keep your feet warm when it's cold.... If they make a mess, they just leave the room and pretend it's not there....They have their own agenda, which may or may not include you....They disappear for days on end, and then show up as if nothing has happened....Just when you're ready to make them sleep outside, they do something really cute."

"Women are like dogs; they forgive and forget."

Cass
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 5:31:17 PM

Neurons: 1,770
In the OP's story, I see the cat as anything but selfish. After all she has chosen to stay in a house where she will not be fed and watered. The dog, on the other hand, has slavishly followed it's master because it knows on which side it's bread is buttered. So that makes the dog selfish and the cat independent and stupid.
I have two cats, neither one is stupid and both are adept at getting whatever they want whenever they want it. The ancient Egyptians knew a thing or two about cats and revered them. In Egyptian mythology wasn't the dog something to do with death? I'm not up on mythology and right now am too lazy to Wicki it.

bethm
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 6:29:53 PM

Anubis was the jackal god of death, and to this very day, we know how dogs feel about dead things (the deader the better)...

My own little Bast, on the other hand, is revered and scratched and allowed to get away with murder. Of course cats are smarter than dogs!

I once saw a sign that said:
People who don't like cats were rats in their last life.
Whistle
jcbarros
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 6:33:06 PM

Neurons: 9,377
I live with many cats and dogs. I love all of them, but think that cats are simply wonderful. Thanks heaven for cats.
kitten
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 6:51:42 PM

Neurons: 7,420
Hello OP,

What is your comment about what you posted?Think

Thank god for cats. They are not selfish, mine is not. She is a delightful, cherished member of our family.

peace out, >^,,^<
excaelis
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 7:44:25 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Very objective, kitten ! Whistle
fayalso
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 9:17:57 PM

Neurons: 2,774
My cat is sitting on my lap right now, gazing at me adoringly. Or maybe he's just enjoying the fact that my leg is falling asleep, but I'm afraid to move because it might disturb him...
Truthseeker
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 9:40:19 PM

Neurons: 820
What happened to the Burmese Python?
excaelis
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 9:46:14 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Grew fur, became a cat.
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 10:18:29 PM

Neurons: 39,933
Have you ever seen a 'Seeing eye cat'?
bethm
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 10:32:33 PM

No, but if I needed a seeing eye cat, I wouldn't be able to see it, would I?

HAHAHHA!
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 10:59:40 PM

Neurons: 39,933
Theres a great Aussie TV add (beer of course), where a bloke goes into a Pub with his Jack Russell (dog) on a lead.

The Publican questions him for bringing a dog into his Pub, and is told its his seeing eye dog.

The Publican says No, No No, seeing eye dogs are Labradors or Shepards, and the bloke says

"Well what did they give me???"

Try this one with your cat Bethm, ha ha
Babezy
Posted: Sunday, January 9, 2011 12:52:08 AM

Neurons: 2,806
Dogs are great. Anyone can get along with a dog. Cats are my favorites, though. I've never known one that wasn't loving, cuddly, loyal, and fun--but I have known people with no knack for getting to know a cat.
thar
Posted: Sunday, January 9, 2011 3:16:01 AM

Neurons: 93,553
A dog thinks you are a god, a cat knows they are.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, January 9, 2011 6:21:40 AM

Neurons: 599,149

redsxz
Posted: Sunday, January 9, 2011 7:30:04 AM

Neurons: 5,425
Haha at JJ's post. Thats brilliant. Where did you get that from may I ask?
GabhSigenod
Posted: Sunday, January 9, 2011 8:45:34 AM

Neurons: 149,736
Cats will eat the most perfect food, sardines. Dogs will eat most anything except sardines.
dev_sircar
Posted: Sunday, January 9, 2011 9:01:44 AM

kitten wrote:
Hello OP,

What is your comment about what you posted?Think

Thank god for cats. They are not selfish, mine is not. She is a delightful, cherished member of our family.

peace out, >^,,^<

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I was wondering asto why, when they are so different, do they come together when it rains cats and dogs!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, January 9, 2011 9:02:55 AM

Neurons: 599,149
redsxz wrote:
Haha at JJ's post. Thats brilliant. Where did you get that from may I ask?

http://kuvaton.com/
blue2
Posted: Sunday, January 9, 2011 12:27:45 PM

Neurons: 23,044
Excerpt from a cat's email.

So, she brought me here to this house and do ya know what? I saw this puny little cat (half the size of Merlin) and she wouldn't leave me alone! Here I was trying to explore this new place and this cat, Tia, followed my all over the place hissing at me. Turns out she's not so bad after all. She's crazy like me. :)

About this new place. I've explored everything now and I'm getting used to things here. B's got some RULES though. No getting up on counters, beds or tables. Really sucks. But Tia and I get on the table outside and B doesn't say anything. We also get up on the computer table, but she's getting fussy about that too and is always cleaning it.

There are LOTS of places to sleep here. I just can't decide. Tia's got this cool little bed out on the balcony but she keeps swatting me when I sleep there. Geez!! But you should see the scratches I gave her. HA! Right on the nose. Actually, I feel kinda bad about that. You can still see them. So I sleep anywhere on the sofa, chairs or on the bathroom rug, but not the beds. And then B goes nuts with the VACUUM! I'm telling you it is scarier than yours.

Tia's got some fun games here. B takes a leaf and swishes it back and forth on the balcony wall. And we watch it then grab it and pull on it. It is sooo much fun. But Tia's not very good at it IMO. She wiggles her ass for ages before she makes a move. Maybe it's because she's so short. Anyway, you should see me. I run over and whomp, I've got it. B also throws these little chunks of bread and we play with them all over the house. Tia also likes to play chase! Can you believe it! Just like me! And I have to admit she's really good at that. We go ALL over the house. I even run over the beds and living room table but I don't think B has seen me yet. Don't say anything. She'll probably bring the VACUUM out.

Well, like I said, Tia's crazy. She walks on the railing! No way man I'm not doing that. I like the other games but not that. Makes me feel like barfing just watching her.

Well, that's about all. So you don't need to worry about me. I miss licking your hair J. I try to lick B's hair but she won't let me. She gets all weird and says "Daown" so I don't bother. She says that a lot you know.

Your kitty,

Scuba
Gunjika
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 2:06:23 AM

Neurons: 1,127
Hi Everyone,

I have been following all your posts for quite some time now and love them. This one compelled me to join TFD and share this:

Its a myth in some parts of India that a dog blesses the family and wants it to grow because every member is supposed to give the dog a bite of food from their plate, so more people mean more food and more love!.. while the cat prays that the master goes blind so that the cat can steal food. So people do not prefer to keep cats as pets in many Indian homes.

JJ: I especially loved your post about dogs Applause
Adriaticus
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 5:36:06 AM

Neurons: 726
a bit stereotyped.

I live with dogs and cats and they have a different way of showing affection because they are different breeds.
the mistake is to give them human emotions: the dog appears to us more faithful because most of them see us as their pack leaders. But if that is not happening, the dog won't miss either to change home/owner.
Cats don't have a leader so we perceive them as less "human" in their affection. But once again it is relative. My 2 cats are definitely more attached to us than the house and they follow us everywhere, like dogs.
Klaas V
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 5:55:09 AM

Neurons: 4,802
We have a dog who sometimes behaves a little like a cat. I call her a 'cat and a half'
dev_sircar
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 6:33:56 AM

blue2 wrote:
Excerpt from a cat's email.

So, she brought me here to this house and do ya know what? I saw this puny little cat (half the size of Merlin) and she wouldn't leave me alone! Here I was trying to explore this new place and this cat, Tia, followed my all over the place hissing at me. Turns out she's not so bad after all. She's crazy like me. :)

About this new place. I've explored everything now and I'm getting used to things here. B's got some RULES though. No getting up on counters, beds or tables. Really sucks. But Tia and I get on the table outside and B doesn't say anything. We also get up on the computer table, but she's getting fussy about that too and is always cleaning it.

There are LOTS of places to sleep here. I just can't decide. Tia's got this cool little bed out on the balcony but she keeps swatting me when I sleep there. Geez!! But you should see the scratches I gave her. HA! Right on the nose. Actually, I feel kinda bad about that. You can still see them. So I sleep anywhere on the sofa, chairs or on the bathroom rug, but not the beds. And then B goes nuts with the VACUUM! I'm telling you it is scarier than yours.

Tia's got some fun games here. B takes a leaf and swishes it back and forth on the balcony wall. And we watch it then grab it and pull on it. It is sooo much fun. But Tia's not very good at it IMO. She wiggles her ass for ages before she makes a move. Maybe it's because she's so short. Anyway, you should see me. I run over and whomp, I've got it. B also throws these little chunks of bread and we play with them all over the house. Tia also likes to play chase! Can you believe it! Just like me! And I have to admit she's really good at that. We go ALL over the house. I even run over the beds and living room table but I don't think B has seen me yet. Don't say anything. She'll probably bring the VACUUM out.

Well, like I said, Tia's crazy. She walks on the railing! No way man I'm not doing that. I like the other games but not that. Makes me feel like barfing just watching her.

Well, that's about all. So you don't need to worry about me. I miss licking your hair J. I try to lick B's hair but she won't let me. She gets all weird and says "Daown" so I don't bother. She says that a lot you know.

Your kitty,

Scuba

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Refer to the sentences, in green and underlined, in the above text.
How could the Cat dabble with the computer, to send an e.mail?
Did she hold the Mouse in her paws, to eat it after sending the e.mail?
Vickster
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 8:56:29 AM

Neurons: 7,211
I think all pets act differently... I've had a cat that wouldn't let you touch him... hated it!! Acted like a dog when there was food around... and loved my dog!! The cat that I have now sleeps with me every night and adores attention...only at night though, hides during the day... skinny as a rail... and is very picky about what I feed her...
My dogs on the other hand are stupid!! (both Shepherds) One barks at anything and everything..way too excitable.. eats everything and is under foot all the time... is NOT and outdoor dog. Does her duty and runs back to be let back in the house..begs to be let inside the house...
My other dog.. is as quiet as a mouse, sleeps under the table or near the toilet all day and if let outside... lays in the grass, snow, rain...whatever until I drag in back in... loves the outdoors!! I can call her till I'm blue in the face and she looks at me and ignores me as if to say.... your joking me right... indoors..again?? NOT!!! Both can be good protectors...especially with the baby around. God Forbid anyone tries to enter my house without my knowledge... my innocent babies turn into maniacs...
All in all... I have great pets... each one has their different personality...and I like that.. all are sweet and loveable...and I couldn't decide which one is better...
blue2
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 9:30:59 AM

Neurons: 23,044
Hey, Vickster, you seem to have an interesting household. I always thought Shepards were intelligent. It's funny that one prefers indoors and the other outdoors. In my household, it's only cats and they do the under foot thing and tripping me like the one in JJ's post.
dev sircar, you see why they are not allowed on the computer table? Who knows what they're up to? Now if they ate the mouse that might be too obvious.

dev_sircar
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 11:22:33 AM

blue2 wrote:
dev sircar, you see why they are not allowed on the computer table? Who knows what they're up to? Now if they ate the mouse that might be too obvious.

[/quote]

I am delighted to get acquainted with your cat.
Looks like it is a computer-savvy cat and will not harm the mouse, even if it be a delicacy in the feline menu.
kitten
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 1:40:04 PM

kitten
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 1:43:23 PM

Vickster
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 2:19:07 PM

Neurons: 7,211
I wish I could upload one of my pics... but this is close enough...

[image not available]