EmadHassan
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 3:14:49 PM

Neurons: 72
Is it correct if I say ," I have more money than you."
or should it be , " I have more money than you do."
Rama
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 4:00:03 PM

Neurons: 39
Both are correct but the first structure can cause functional ambiguity sometimes like in sentence "I like icecream more than you" it is not clear whether like refers to icecream or you.
bannie52
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 11:40:08 PM

Neurons: 113
It would be alright to say "...than you" if you are just speaking in the vernacular. If, however, you intend to be using standard English, you must include something such as your suggested, "...more money than you do" or (my preference in this case) "...more money than you have."
larry marvin
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2010 9:30:51 AM

Neurons: 710
Money! I have more money than you.
I have more money than you do. Say with a lalalala tune running in your head. lalalala, hahahaha
kitten
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2010 2:35:08 PM

Neurons: 7,420
My question is, why would you tell somone that you have more money than they do? Seems kind of rude?Eh? Unless, of course, they asked????d'oh! Which is rude as well.Think

Just my opinion---I was taught it was impolite to ask about money because you may embarrass the other person.Shhh

peace out, >^,,^<
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2010 2:38:23 PM

Neurons: 599,149
larry marvin wrote:

I have more money than you do.

I have enough money to buy a new colour printer and then I can do more money than you have!
RuthP
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2010 2:42:06 PM

Neurons: 87,618
Try the complete sentence:
I have more money than you have.

And, for those distressed by this sentence, a couple of thoughts.

Money is not as taboo (tabu) a topic in all cultures as it is in the U.S.

It could be the part of a larger thought: I have more money than you; let me get the tickets.
kitten
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2010 7:40:06 PM

Neurons: 7,420
RuthP wrote:
Try the complete sentence:
I have more money than you have.

And, for those distressed by this sentence, a couple of thoughts.

Money is not as taboo (tabu) a topic in all cultures as it is in the U.S.

It could be the part of a larger thought: I have more money than you; let me get the tickets.

I am not distressed. I was reared it was impolite to talk about money, religion or politics. But those are thoughts of a generation gone by. Now, it is quite common to ask about money and other subjects, although not always wise, but common.

Money is also a status symbol as well as a power symbol. The person at the table who has to or always picks up the check or buy the tickets is showing you he has more than you. It is an interesting psycological read.

The person who is asking the question is from another country I just wonderded why?Think

Because, really, no matter where one is in the world the subject of money in regards to, "I have more than you" will make someone feel uncomfortable. If it weren't so then we wouldn't have so many wars on who owns more than the next person.Eh?

Remember, 9/11 was done to take down our power symbol, The World Trade Center, >>>>>-money.

peace out, >^,,^<
EmadHassan
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:54:15 PM

Neurons: 72
kitten wrote:
[quote=RuthP]Try the complete sentence:
Money is also a status symbol as well as a power symbol. The person at the table who has to or always picks up the check or buy the tickets is showing you he has more than you. It is an interesting psycological read.

The person who is asking the question is from another country I just wonderded why?Think

Because, really, no matter where one is in the world the subject of money in regards to, "I have more than you" will make someone feel uncomfortable. If it weren't so then we wouldn't have so many wars on who owns more than the next person.Eh?

Remember, 9/11 was done to take down our power symbol, The World Trade Center, >>>>>-money.

peace out, >^,,^<[/color]

I think this is a grammar forum not a graveyard for politically smart mourners. If you have a comment on the topic go a head say it. If you don't , sit down and learn. Just leave 9/11 for those who can talk about, not teenagers!!!!!
chovekazadborcheto
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:43:11 PM

Neurons: 189
EmadHassan wrote:

I think this is a grammar forum not a graveyard for politically smart mourners. If you have a comment on the topic go a head say it. If you don't , sit down and learn. Just leave 9/11 for those who can talk about, not teenagers!!!!!

I second that. Wake up and see on your upper left corner just under your login name, it says "The Free Dictionary Language Forums » English » English Grammar " . Quit ranting misplaced (political) nonsense.