mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
sans. Options
prolixitysquared
Posted: Saturday, May 9, 2009 9:45:03 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 1,035
Neurons: 3,101
Location: pennsylvania.
How about the word 'sans' ? Saucy synonym for 'without.'

I don't know why, but ever since I learned this word, I've been enthralled with it. I love throwing it into a sentence or conversation. It just seems so unexpected compared to the simpler 'without.'

Although I have to admit that I initially pronounced it 'sonz,' and according to TFD, it's definitely 'sanz.' I think for a while I was pronouncing it both ways, randomly. Maybe I thought it was a matter of preference ?

I always loved tossing it into a poem, when its meaning fit well.

Anyone else have an unexplainable affinity with the word 'sans' or any word out there, for that matter ? This isn't just to say your 'favorite' word, because I wouldn't say 'sans' is my favorite word, or one of them. But I do like seeing it because I feel like it's more rare. So catching it while reading is always a nice change of pace.
vr091073
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 3:56:52 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/4/2009
Posts: 236
Neurons: 720
Location: Mauritius
'Sans' is French for 'without', and has entered English usage as have so many thousands of other non-English loanwords, which to me, is testament to the richness of English as a tool of communication. Indeed, few languages can boast of a similar capacity to absorb and adopt foreign terms in a comparable manner.

To my knowledge, dictionaries usually provide 'sanz' as the standard form of pronunciation for this word. But it could well be down to personal preference - in the UK, I was acquainted to someone who always articulated "actor' so as to make the final vowel sound rhyme with 'more', or 'for.' This, I thought, was surreal.
Isaac Samuel
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 12:54:53 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/2/2009
Posts: 674
Neurons: 1,222
Location: United States
Dear Prolixity,

Sans you, this forum will become trite.
Sans the ways you admit your own follies, this forum will be impersonal.
So, keep on trucking.
krmiller
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 9:10:57 PM
Rank: Administration

Joined: 3/17/2009
Posts: 217
Neurons: 663
Location: United States
It's kind of ridiculous, but I always associate the word "sans" with fonts. I believe the first place I came across it was in reference to sans serif fonts. I do like the word!
prolixitysquared
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 9:30:25 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 1,035
Neurons: 3,101
Location: pennsylvania.
krmiller wrote:
It's kind of ridiculous, but I always associate the word "sans" with fonts. I believe the first place I came across it was in reference to sans serif fonts. I do like the word!


I remember it with fonts first too, but for some reason, I never looked into its significance back then.
Raparee
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 8:45:07 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/17/2009
Posts: 1,228
Neurons: 18,102
I love using sans in writing. I don't know where I first came across it, but I enjoy the word. Using it, however, does depend on my writing audience, sadly, rather like using en masse and myriad.
fred
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 9:33:50 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/1/2009
Posts: 1,475
Neurons: 4,457
Location: United States
Raparee wrote:
I love using sans in writing. I don't know where I first came across it, but I enjoy the word. Using it, however, does depend on my writing audience, sadly, rather like using en masse and myriad.


Yes, those are fun. Also, de rigueur, in situ, vis-à-vis... wow, I's done feel smarterer all ready!
Raparee
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 9:58:25 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/17/2009
Posts: 1,228
Neurons: 18,102
fred wrote:
Raparee wrote:
I love using sans in writing. I don't know where I first came across it, but I enjoy the word. Using it, however, does depend on my writing audience, sadly, rather like using en masse and myriad.


Yes, those are fun. Also, de rigueur, in situ, vis-à-vis... wow, I's done feel smarterer all ready!

*snicker* How about ostentatious? I love that one, and sometimes, it's just more appropriate than its less lofty cousins!
Demonrob
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 1:26:31 PM
Rank: Member

Joined: 4/16/2009
Posts: 16
Neurons: 48
Location: Mexico City
krmiller wrote:
It's kind of ridiculous, but I always associate the word "sans" with fonts. I believe the first place I came across it was in reference to sans serif fonts. I do like the word!


Actually a serif is like a finishing line on the letters thus the meaning for example of san serif wuold be without that line finishing.

But sans as mentioned above is french i don´t know if serif is also french.



krmiller
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 10:08:04 PM
Rank: Administration

Joined: 3/17/2009
Posts: 217
Neurons: 663
Location: United States
Demonrob wrote:
Actually a serif is like a finishing line on the letters thus the meaning for example of san serif wuold be without that line finishing.

But sans as mentioned above is french i don´t know if serif is also french.


Yes, that's right. For example, the font that we type messages in here at the forum is a serif font, while the font the messages appear in are sans serif!

TFD says that "serif" is from Dutch and possibly ultimately from Latin, so I suppose the words just came together for the first time to refer to fonts. It's interesting that many fonts have "sans serif" in their names, while serif fonts don't usually. I suppose serif is, or once was, thought of as the default.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.