mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
sans. Options
prolixitysquared
Posted: Saturday, May 9, 2009 9:45:03 PM

Neurons: 3,101
How about the word 'sans' ? Saucy synonym for 'without.'

I don't know why, but ever since I learned this word, I've been enthralled with it. I love throwing it into a sentence or conversation. It just seems so unexpected compared to the simpler 'without.'

Although I have to admit that I initially pronounced it 'sonz,' and according to TFD, it's definitely 'sanz.' I think for a while I was pronouncing it both ways, randomly. Maybe I thought it was a matter of preference ?

I always loved tossing it into a poem, when its meaning fit well.

Anyone else have an unexplainable affinity with the word 'sans' or any word out there, for that matter ? This isn't just to say your 'favorite' word, because I wouldn't say 'sans' is my favorite word, or one of them. But I do like seeing it because I feel like it's more rare. So catching it while reading is always a nice change of pace.
vr091073
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 3:56:52 AM

Neurons: 720
'Sans' is French for 'without', and has entered English usage as have so many thousands of other non-English loanwords, which to me, is testament to the richness of English as a tool of communication. Indeed, few languages can boast of a similar capacity to absorb and adopt foreign terms in a comparable manner.

To my knowledge, dictionaries usually provide 'sanz' as the standard form of pronunciation for this word. But it could well be down to personal preference - in the UK, I was acquainted to someone who always articulated "actor' so as to make the final vowel sound rhyme with 'more', or 'for.' This, I thought, was surreal.
Isaac Samuel
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 12:54:53 PM

Neurons: 1,222
Dear Prolixity,

Sans you, this forum will become trite.
Sans the ways you admit your own follies, this forum will be impersonal.
So, keep on trucking.
krmiller
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 9:10:57 PM

Neurons: 663
It's kind of ridiculous, but I always associate the word "sans" with fonts. I believe the first place I came across it was in reference to sans serif fonts. I do like the word!
prolixitysquared
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 9:30:25 PM

Neurons: 3,101
krmiller wrote:
It's kind of ridiculous, but I always associate the word "sans" with fonts. I believe the first place I came across it was in reference to sans serif fonts. I do like the word!

I remember it with fonts first too, but for some reason, I never looked into its significance back then.
Raparee
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 8:45:07 AM

Neurons: 18,102
I love using sans in writing. I don't know where I first came across it, but I enjoy the word. Using it, however, does depend on my writing audience, sadly, rather like using en masse and myriad.
fred
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 9:33:50 AM

Neurons: 4,457
Raparee wrote:
I love using sans in writing. I don't know where I first came across it, but I enjoy the word. Using it, however, does depend on my writing audience, sadly, rather like using en masse and myriad.

Yes, those are fun. Also, de rigueur, in situ, vis-à-vis... wow, I's done feel smarterer all ready!
Raparee
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 9:58:25 AM

Neurons: 18,102
fred wrote:
Raparee wrote:

Yes, those are fun. Also, de rigueur, in situ, vis-à-vis... wow, I's done feel smarterer all ready!

*snicker* How about ostentatious? I love that one, and sometimes, it's just more appropriate than its less lofty cousins!
Demonrob
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 1:26:31 PM

Neurons: 48
krmiller wrote:

Actually a serif is like a finishing line on the letters thus the meaning for example of san serif wuold be without that line finishing.

But sans as mentioned above is french i don´t know if serif is also french.

krmiller
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 10:08:04 PM

Neurons: 663
Demonrob wrote:
Actually a serif is like a finishing line on the letters thus the meaning for example of san serif wuold be without that line finishing.

But sans as mentioned above is french i don´t know if serif is also french.

Yes, that's right. For example, the font that we type messages in here at the forum is a serif font, while the font the messages appear in are sans serif!

TFD says that "serif" is from Dutch and possibly ultimately from Latin, so I suppose the words just came together for the first time to refer to fonts. It's interesting that many fonts have "sans serif" in their names, while serif fonts don't usually. I suppose serif is, or once was, thought of as the default.