mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Man versus Machine on Jeopardy! Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 96,378
Man versus Machine on Jeopardy!

In 1996, World Chess Champion Garry Kasparov went head-to-head with IBM's supercomputer Deep Blue for the first time, winning the match. However, in a rematch the next year, Kasparov was defeated. Now, man will once again be pitted against machine, this time for the game show Jeopardy!. A computer program named "Watson," developed by IBM's artificial intelligence team, will compete against the show's most successful past champions, Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter, for a $1 million prize. The matches will air in February. More...
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:09:32 AM

Neurons: 32,652
And I still say we should be concentrating on Artificial Stupidity instead. We know why smart people do what they do. We need to figure out how and if idiots think, so we can better cope with their sometimes cataclysmic imbecility.
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:13:22 AM

Neurons: 6,040
Well, it will be fascinating to watch though I'm waiting for some robots to be competitors on reality TV.
lenam
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:17:48 AM

Neurons: 3,816
excaelis wrote:
And I still say we should be concentrating on Artificial Stupidity instead. We know why smart people do what they do. We need to figure out how and if idiots think, so we can better cope with their sometimes cataclysmic imbecility.

Applause Applause
MarySM
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:19:39 AM

Neurons: 6,084
excaelis wrote:

Applause Think

They say that a "little learning is a dangerous thing" but I think a lot of ignorance is much worse! Of course if we knew how to spot the idiots ahead of time we would have few candidates for public office.
Drew
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:50:47 PM

Neurons: 4,487
Jeopardy! is just about the only game/reality TV show I can tolerate. I'll be interested to see how this competition turns out. Does the supercomputer receive the $1 million prize if it wins?
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:58:22 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Drink deep at the well of knowledge, or drink not at all.

It's hard to be a dilletante. Hi, my name is Ex, and I have a problem....
Drew
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 12:30:30 PM

Neurons: 4,487
I saw some video of a practice round between the two human contestants and "Watson," the computer. It looks like this is going to be very much an uphill battle for both Jennings and Rutter because they were both thoroughly dominated in the footage that I've seen. It would be nice if the event was at least competitive when it comes time for the real thing.