mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
He had to deal all at once with the packed regrets and stifled memories of an inarticulate lifetime. Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,128
He had to deal all at once with the packed regrets and stifled memories of an inarticulate lifetime.

Edith Wharton (1862-1937)
pedro
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 4:42:43 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Nice quote. For some people it's a blessing that their memory goes.
monamagda
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 6:41:32 AM

Neurons: 7,540,551
Context from : The Age of Innocence (Chap. 34)

"No. I forgot. You never did ask each other anything, did you? And you never told each other anything. You just sat and watched each other, and guessed at what was going on underneath. A deaf-and-dumb asylum, in fact! Well, I back your generation for knowing more about each other's private thoughts than we ever have time to find out about our own.—I say, Dad," Dallas broke off, "you're not angry with me? If you are, let's make it up and go and lunch at Henri's. I've got to rush out to Versailles afterward."

Archer did not accompany his son to Versailles. He preferred to spend the afternoon in solitary roamings through Paris. He had to deal all at once with the packed regrets and stifled memories of an inarticulate lifetime.

After a little while he did not regret Dallas's indiscretion. It seemed to take an iron band from his heart to know that, after all, some one had guessed and pitied.... And that it should have been his wife moved him indescribably. Dallas, for all his affectionate insight, would not have understood that. To the boy, no doubt, the episode was only a pathetic instance of vain frustration, of wasted forces. But was it really no more? For a long time Archer sat on a bench in the Champs Elysees and wondered, while the stream of life rolled by....

Read the book : http://genius.com/Edith-wharton-the-age-of-innocence-chap-34-annotated
Bully_rus
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 7:00:49 AM

Neurons: 361,581
Sometimes the past asks questions which so difficult to hear moreover answer it.
Passion for phonics
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 10:48:26 AM

Neurons: 4,209
pedro wrote:
Nice quote. For some people it's a blessing that their memory goes.

Is the ambiguity intentional? If so, good one!
For some people it’s a blessing that their (own) memory goes.
For some people it’s a blessing that their memory (the memory of them) goes.
Verbatim
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 8:14:16 PM

Neurons: 249,307
Daemon wrote:
He had to deal all at once with the packed regrets and stifled memories of an inarticulate lifetime.

Edith Wharton (1862-1937)

Bold emphasis is mine. The memories that Archer had to deal with were stifled-- not gone, but emerging from where they had been banished
for a long time. Bad business to seek out an old flame if one has had the packed regrets as well.