mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Olive Oil Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,236
Olive Oil

Traditionally, olive oil, a yellow to greenish vegetable oil, was produced by crushing olives in mortars or beam presses. Modern processing involves mixing a ground olive paste with water, and extracting the oil using a centrifuge. The olive tree is native to the Mediterranean basin, where olive oil has been used for millennia as lighting fuel, anointing oil, and in food preparation. Recent scientific evidence suggests olive oil may reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes; how? More...
monamagda
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 6:57:25 AM

Neurons: 7,575,345
Extra Virgin Olive Oil Contains Anti-Inflammatory Substances Olives

It is believed that chronic inflammation is among the leading drivers of many diseases.

This includes heart disease, cancer, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, Alzheimer’s and arthritis.

It has been speculated that one of the mechanisms behind olive oil’s benefits, is its ability to fight inflammation.

There is some evidence that oleic acid itself, the most prominent fatty acid in olive oil, can reduce inflammatory markers like C-Reactive Protein.

But the main anti-inflammatory effects seem to be mediated by the antioxidants in olive oil, primarily oleocanthal, which has been shown to work like ibuprofen, a popular anti-inflammatory drug.

Researchers estimate that the amount of oleocanthal in 50 ml of extra virgin olive oil has an effect similar to 10% of the adult ibuprofen dosage for pain relief.

There is also a study showing that substances in olive oil can reduce expression of genes and proteins that mediate inflammation.

Eating plenty of extra virgin olive oil may help prevent this from happening, leading to a reduced risk of various inflammatory diseases.

- See more at: http://www.amphoreus.com.gr/en/news/item/170-olive-oil-health-benefits#sthash.33wKFXzq.dpuf
Maryam Dad
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 8:40:33 AM

Neurons: 3,441
I routinely take a spoon of olive oil every day.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 8:58:10 AM

Neurons: 57,317
Thanks Mona.

Make sure oils are cold pressed.

Olive oil is the main oil I have in my kitchen, along with coconut oil. (However, we have always used butter too and do not think it should have such a bad rap. I now use Ghee because the milk has been removed from it because I need to limit my milk intake. Plus it does not burn as easily as pure butter.)

Olive Oil should have a bit of a bite after swallowing so you know it is good stuff but if it (or any oil) starts to burn your lips, it is going rancid. Do not heat olive oil past the temperature listed. Mine says 325F to 350F. All oils have certain heat thresholds where you change the structure if you heat it past that temperature. I use olive oil for salads and baking at lower temperatures, but Ghee for the few times I fry anything.

Eating oils heated past their smoke point or oils that have gone rancid is one of the worst things you can do to your body.

This is a good article. The chart re percentages of monosaturated and so on fats, plus smoke points is helpful.

I did not know about the 'tactics' sometimes used to fool the consumer. I buy only organic olive oil in a dark, glass bottle. No plastic.
Elsayyed Hassan
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 11:27:53 AM

Neurons: 3,020,484
Olive oil is a fat obtained from the olive (the fruit of Olea europaea; family Oleaceae), a traditional tree crop of the Mediterranean Basin. The oil is produced by pressing whole olives and is commonly used in cooking, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and soaps, and as a fuel for traditional oil lamps. Olive oil is used throughout the world and is often associated with Mediterranean countries
Gary98
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 1:48:09 PM

Neurons: 5,919,988
Any one still consumes oil out there? I do.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 6:50:51 PM

Neurons: 2,599,403
I prefer virgin, because I hate to think what's in the non-virgin stuff. Whistle
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 2:06:18 PM

Neurons: 57,317
Maryam, thanks. I started taking a tablespoon yesterday. You gave me the idea.