mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Won two matches but got no rating points! Options
Magnus v G
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 9:26:06 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/16/2015
Posts: 208
Neurons: 505,953
Location: Uppsala, Uppsala, Sweden
Hi.

Before starting playing today, I had a rating of 2174. I've now won two matches against opponents in their 1400s in rating (the match that ended last, finished 42 min. ago).

One was outwon 116 against 168 and the other opponent had 86 against my 319 points.

Please note that these are the only matches of mine that have finished since I started playing today, therefore there aren't any losses that should cancel out any winnings.

Surely, I should've got at least a few rating points from my winnings!?

Edit: my rating has gone up a little now. However, this only happened just after I won against Bakfromon so it still looks like I haven't got any rating points from my previous two wins.
Kaz.
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 12:39:38 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 5/26/2015
Posts: 14
Neurons: 283,705
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Magnus von Gegerfelt wrote:
Hi.

Before starting playing today, I had a rating of 2174. I've now won two matches against opponents in their 1400s in rating (the match that ended last, finished 42 min. ago).

One was outwon 116 against 168 and the other opponent had 86 against my 319 points.

Please note that these are the only matches of mine that have finished since I started playing today, therefore there aren't any losses that should cancel out any winnings.

Surely, I should've got at least a few rating points from my winnings!?

Edit: my rating has gone up a little now. However, this only happened just after I won against Bakfromon so it still looks like I haven't got any rating points from my previous two wins.


From what I have observed in gaining rating points, if your rating is more than 500 points greater than your opponent'srating, you will most likely not gain any rating points. I have played matches against people with ratings as high as 2200 without gaining any rating points after winning.
Magnus v G
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 3:47:29 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/16/2015
Posts: 208
Neurons: 505,953
Location: Uppsala, Uppsala, Sweden
Thank you for your reply Kaz.! I hope TFD chimes in, so we'll know for sure but until then I'll try and avoid even more playing against those lower-ranked with 500 or more in difference. I already did because I didn't think I would gain much, but if you can't gain anything at the risk of losing a lot, then there's no point playing against those opponents if you want to progress in rank, right?
Kaz.
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 5:08:39 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 5/26/2015
Posts: 14
Neurons: 283,705
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Magnus von Gegerfelt wrote:
Thank you for your reply Kaz.! I hope TFD chimes in, so we'll know for sure but until then I'll try and avoid even more playing against those lower-ranked with 500 or more in difference. I already did because I didn't think I would gain much, but if you can't gain anything at the risk of losing a lot, then there's no point playing against those opponents if you want to progress in rank, right?


I tend to play mainly against people who will increase my rank if I win. I do play random matches quite often also because I'm trying to get my all time points rank in the top 10 :P

If I lose a match I'll probably lose around 20 - 30 rating points d'oh!
papadaiw
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 6:31:50 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 4/14/2015
Posts: 12
Neurons: 404,003
Location: Walthamstow, England, United Kingdom

I used to record the difference between mine and my opponent's rating before and after the last round to get an idea about how the rating system works.

I collected loads of data, but it's a bit chaotic, so I've just played a little bit with excel and made up a table.
Hopefully it's clear and makes sense.






[image not available]
Magnus v G
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 4:59:10 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/16/2015
Posts: 208
Neurons: 505,953
Location: Uppsala, Uppsala, Sweden
Thanks for displaying the chart papadaiw! This is interesting. Did you win by more points from the games that you gained more in rating from, as opposed to the games against opponents higher in rank, from who you gained less in rating by winning against? I mean, e g., in the lefternmost column, I see that you gained 16 in ranking after winning against an opponent with +97, but you got as much as 23 ranking points after playing someone who only had +91.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 8:27:04 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/22/2014
Posts: 2,292
Neurons: 2,590,862
Location: Lilyfield, New South Wales, Australia
Hey papadaiw, I'm glad you posted this chart. TFD/Farlex can be so secretive about points (& neurons) info.

I think the maximum amount of ratings points I've lost is 31. When it happens after I've only lost by a couple of points, it's heartbreaking.
papadaiw
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 5:35:00 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 4/14/2015
Posts: 12
Neurons: 404,003
Location: Walthamstow, England, United Kingdom
Magnus von Gegerfelt wrote:
Thanks for displaying the chart papadaiw! This is interesting. Did you win by more points from the games that you gained more in rating from, as opposed to the games against opponents higher in rank, from who you gained less in rating by winning against? I mean, e g., in the lefternmost column, I see that you gained 16 in ranking after winning against an opponent with +97, but you got as much as 23 ranking points after playing someone who only had +91.


Originally I just wanted to create a table, by which I can predict how much my rating would grow or fall. Didn't expect those discrepancies would turn up at all. So I didn't record the overall or round points scored, only the changes in rating points and the opponent's name.

But, yes Magnus, I think what causes it, should be the performance shown in the game.

The Wordhub rating system is must be very similar to the one what is used in chess, the ELO system.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system
Check out the 3rd and 4th columns, I think it's quite pertinent to describe how Wordhub works.

It also says " The lower rated player will also gain a few points from the higher rated player in the event of a draw".
Even if draw is nowhere as common in Wordhub as in chess, I had a few, and noticed the rating points change, in favour of the lower ranked player.

So I believe that it basically works like a tweaked ELO, and the extra modifier is how big the margin is, between the total scores. A low margin win gives the winner less points, a big difference in scores more, or something like that.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.