mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Easiest Language Options
usmedium
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:20:39 PM

Neurons: 9
Hello,

Someone could tell me what's the EASIEST language except their own language.

d'oh!
s3callyx
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:41:40 PM

Neurons: 138
As a first answer: English (Yes I know you'd expect something else but that's the truth)

As a second answer: That depends from the student. For example.... is common knowledge that english is a very easy language for most of the users. The reason is because english have a very few grammar rules. But that's very confusing for people who learned a difficult language in their life. For them their language is like "1000" instead of english which is like "10". Personally I believe english language is a very stupid as a language can be. Of course that may be an insult for somebody which love's english but I can't lie. I expect if I know best and everyone says "learn english" at least english would be as best as I am, not less. Without offense...

Also you may find interesting these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardest_language
http://www.opentravelinfo.com/node/818

Demonrob
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2009 6:24:57 PM

Neurons: 48
usmedium wrote:
Hello,

d'oh!

I guess it depends also in your native tongue, as an Spanish speaking person I learned English because i liked it since i was young, then later in my life i learned French and a little bit of Italian and those languages i find them easy to learn but because of the Latin common roots of all of the mentioned languages, then i started to learn Norwegian and i liked it a lot too but because of the pronunciation i find it a little bit different to learn, not more difficult just different.

Also i guess it matters if you like the language or not in my case I never liked German and that's the reason im not looking forward to learn it , though English and even Norwegian have some kind of link with German but its a personal issue.

hope it helped.

Cheers.
Tonyo
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2009 9:58:57 AM

Neurons: 168
usmedium wrote:

The easiest actually spoken language is Esperanto, the international language. It has no exceptions and avoids many complications.
For general informations, look at http://www.esperanto.net. To actually learn it, http://lernu.net

El idioma más fácil de los hablados en la realidad, es esperanto, la lengua internacional. No hay excepciones y se evitan la mayoría de complicaciones.
Para información general, mirar en http://www.esperanto.net. Para aprenderlo, http://lernu.net

Toño
valenarwen
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:23:57 AM

Neurons: 1,025
s3callyx wrote:
As a first answer: English (Yes I know you'd expect something else but that's the truth)

As a second answer: That depends from the student. For example.... is common knowledge that english is a very easy language for most of the users. The reason is because english have a very few grammar rules. But that's very confusing for people who learned a difficult language in their life. For them their language is like "1000" instead of english which is like "10". Personally I believe english language is a very stupid as a language can be. Of course that may be an insult for somebody which love's english but I can't lie. I expect if I know best and everyone says "learn english" at least english would be as best as I am, not less. Without offense...

Also you may find interesting these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardest_language
http://www.opentravelinfo.com/node/818

Were it so easy, you wouldn't have so many mistakes...
cheers
fred
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:54:59 PM

Neurons: 4,457
It is not German or French.
Taranaga
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 6:28:56 AM

Neurons: 15
Firstly, I don't think there's such a thing as an "easy" language, never mind a language one could describe as "the easiest". All languages are complex and are the result of centuries of use, experimentation and history, which is why the most common verbs in most languages I know tend to also be the most irregular!

It is logical to assume that if your native language is from the Germanic group of languages then another Germanic language would be easier to learn, however, that has not been my case. I am a native English speaker and have had classes in German, French, Spanish and Italian and have found the Latin-based languages much easier than German, perhaps because they just appeal more to the way my brain works, which I think, ultimately, is the key. What is logical to one person is not necessarily so to another. I also agree with Demonrob that liking a language is also an important motivating factor when it comes to mastering it!

I also second Valenarwen's comment to S3callyx; if English grammar were so easy then there is surely no excuse for the plethora of grammatical errors in your post, which includes particularly poor use of articles and prepositions! Shame on you!
fred
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 10:36:24 AM

Taranaga wrote:
Firstly, I don't think there's such a thing as an "easy" language, never mind a language one could describe as "the easiest". All languages are complex and are the result of centuries of use, experimentation and history, which is why the most common verbs in most languages I know tend to also be the most irregular!

It is logical to assume that if your native language is from the Germanic group of languages then another Germanic language would be easier to learn, however, that has not been my case. I am a native English speaker and have had classes in German, French, Spanish and Italian and have found the Latin-based languages much easier than German, perhaps because they just appeal more to the way my brain works, which I think, ultimately, is the key. What is logical to one person is not necessarily so to another. I also agree with Demonrob that liking a language is also an important motivating factor when it comes to mastering it!

I also second Valenarwen's comment to S3callyx; if English grammar were so easy then there is surely no excuse for the plethora of grammatical errors in your post, which includes particularly poor use of articles and prepositions! Shame on you!

Wow, your brain does work a certain way, doesn't it.
Winston Smith
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 8:35:46 AM

Neurons: 114
a language can not be stupid; but, some people --for instance those who think that a language can be stupid--- are stupid
fred
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:50:07 AM

Winston Smith wrote:
a language can not be stupid; but, some people --for instance those who think that a language can be stupid--- are stupid

Can one language be more sophisticated or advanced to other languages?
cool_guay
Posted: Saturday, August 8, 2009 2:34:06 AM

Neurons: 78
usmedium wrote:
Hello,

d'oh!

i think the easiest language to learn is spanish because i have been studying it for a few weeks and it seems to be simular to english.
cool_guay
Posted: Saturday, August 8, 2009 2:35:22 AM

Neurons: 78
fred wrote:
It is not German or French.

i agree
valenarwen
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 8:36:30 PM

Neurons: 1,025
cool_guay wrote:

i think the easiest language to learn is spanish because i have been studying it for a few weeks and it seems to be simular to english.

I'm an English-Spanish translator -native Spanish speaker- and lemme tell you, you couldn't be more wrong... Spanish grammar is impossible
cat_cut
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:54:36 AM

Neurons: 141
there wouldn't be hard language to learn unless you really put yourself in it. ^^
Laila
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:53:40 PM

Neurons: 474
valenarwen wrote:
cool_guay wrote:

I'm an English-Spanish translator -native Spanish speaker- and lemme tell you, you couldn't be more wrong... Spanish grammar is impossible

Estoy totalemente de accuerdo contigo!!

I started learning spanish and I love it! but its grammar's gonna drive me mad!
Rysia959
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 9:09:54 AM

Neurons: 60
well, 4 me neither Spanish or English grammar is too complicated. german is also ok. generally i like grammar because i'm keen on logic:) i like learning languages but... i'm not in favour of Latin and Russian Brick wall regarding the second one, I haven't learned yet, but seeing the alphabet i feel discouraged.so maybe the most difficult lg is Russian. but who knows...my parents claim that it's the best lg accross the world to learn. and French...?i've heard it's difficult,but i'll check it soon :)
btw and what about Japanese? i'd like to learn it. what is it like? do u know it?

greetings,
Orual42
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 10:43:42 AM

Neurons: 165
I once read a summary of four categories or tiers of languages, arranged from easiest to hardest in terms of how difficult they are for a native English-speaker to learn, summarized thusly:

Tier I: Western European / Romance languages (Spanish, French, German [?], Italian, etc.)

Tier II: Eastern European / Slavic languages (Russian...)

Tier III: Arabic and many African languages

Tier IV: Any Oriental language (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.)

Like many people in the US, I studied Spanish in high school and it remains the only language I actively speak at all well; however, my studies demand that I at least learn how to read French, German, Biblical Greek and Hebrew, and a handful of other Semitic languages. It's gotten easier in the past few years as I've learned how to approach a new language (i.e., the sort of questions to ask of it, the parts of speech that it may or may not contain, syntax and so forth).

After Spanish, French is relatively easy; after Hebrew, Syriac is a piece of cake. For any wholly new system, it just comes down to time invested in the effort.
mariaperez
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2009 10:22:03 PM

Neurons: 30
I agree, for the most part, with Taranaga. The categorization of a language as "easy" or "difficult" is very subjective. It would be interesting to have the opinion of a Chinese or Japanese speaker on his/her experience learning a Germanic or Romance language.

And yes, all languages have their own complexities. Perhaps pidgins come closer to a categorization of "easy" because they are a simplified form of communication when two groups that speak different languages come into contact. But once a pidgin becomes a creole--a full language with a full set of rules--it is no longer "easy."
man in black
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 8:21:55 AM

Neurons: 1,334
If not the easiest, i do believe that English is the precisest of all languages due to the large spectrum of its vocabulary. Only 30% of the words are pure English the rest being from other languages. therefore its learning will always be much easier because at some point you are likely to find words that have been borrowed from one own's mother tongue. Certainly its grammar is not hard to seize, it's the pronounciation and the many usages of its ample vocabulary what's challenging, but if there's a universal language that is undoutedly English. I despise esperanto, since it's a language which has no social impact nor evolves as a tool used by some humanbeings in their daily communication.
pedro
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 8:40:38 AM

Neurons: 63,022
stuttering in morse code
uuaschbaer
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 12:12:44 PM

Neurons: 6,180
In the English language everything goes. Which is nice because you can spend as much time as you like improving your grammar and collecting words and phrases for later use. English is free.
JPK
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:17:20 PM

Neurons: 1,998
valenarwen wrote:
Were it so easy, you wouldn't have so many mistakes...
cheers

Applause

Also, I agree 100% with uuaschbaer...
Lipasol
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 11:41:03 AM

Neurons: 9
As a linguist, I would confirm there is no such "an easy language to learn". Learning a language requires thousand study/practice hours until one person is able to speak/read/understand it, and it is almost impossible for someone learning a foreign language to master it in a bilingual level. In fact bilingualism is an Utopia.

I am Spanish native speaker, I have studied (and I won't ever finish studying)English, French, Chinese and Arabic, and as they use different systems you can't compare them.

No matter the language you choose, it won't be easy to learn! Good luck!

PS: by the way I think this is a forum about translating(En-Es/Es-En)so if you want, next time move this kind of thread to the grammar or culture stuff!