mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
'Strine Options
excaelis
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:58:11 PM

Neurons: 32,652
I have a voiceover audition tomorrow morning requiring an Australian accent.

Any pitfalls I should avoid or tips my antipodean friends can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys !
Ray41
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:11:31 PM

Neurons: 45,980
That is a tough call. Here, in the land down under, we do actually speak regular English,basically with out the broad accents you would encounter in northern GB. The most important thing to remember is to "not talk like some one trying to speak strine". It's laughable when we hear a so called Aussie accent in overseas TV shows and movies,it is way too much exaggerated. The nasal whine that we hear is not real strine. The "gudaaay maayet" type speech is more "ocker" than strine, ocker being "flat out like a lizard drinking","here you mongrel, I've a bone to pick with you","mad as a two bob watch" etc.
If you listen to any Aussie actors[and golfers,etc] in US, they are basically "unaccented" until they spend too much time state side, and, then they pick up all the inflections in the American speech[which must be the easiest accent to acquire]. I would suggest just trying to keep the Canadian inflections out of your voice. You could try googling up Aussie TV news and listen to some news readers clips.Paul Hogan in Crocodile Dundee is a close example, not overly accented but he includes a lot of "ocker sayings". Aussie actor Simon Baker who stars in US TV show, "The Mentalist" has not changed his accent since leaving here,but he blends into the show and most viewers would never pick it. Good luck with your audition.
Atiya
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 10:59:30 PM

Neurons: 6,093
I cannot give you any tips and tricks... just good luck !!!
Just go and blow off their minds :)

excaelis
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 12:56:14 AM

Thanks people. I am British, Ray, so the Canuck thing isn't an issue. I haven't watched " The Mentalist ' but I can get it on demand, so I'll try to listen to it tonight. Thanks for the time. Elk might be a good resource, perhaps. I'm just never quite sure whether to be Sandy Stone, Les Patterson or Richie Benaud. You know what I mean ?

Thanks Atiya for the cheerleading !

I'm sure it'll be apples !
lenam
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 4:54:06 AM

Neurons: 3,816
Ex, how did your audition go? I hope you faired.
thar
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 8:05:21 AM

Neurons: 92,489
Ray41 wrote:
That is a tough call. Here, in the land down under, we do actually speak regular English,basically with out the broad accents you would encounter in northern GB. The most important thing to remember is to "not talk like some one trying to speak strine". It's laughable when we hear a so called Aussie accent in overseas TV shows and movies,it is way too much exaggerated. The nasal whine that we hear is not real strine. The "gudaaay maayet" type speech is more "ocker" than strine, ocker being "flat out like a lizard drinking","here you mongrel, I've a bone to pick with you","mad as a two bob watch" etc.
If you listen to any Aussie actors[and golfers,etc] in US, they are basically "unaccented" until they spend too much time state side, and, then they pick up all the inflections in the American speech[which must be the easiest accent to acquire]. I would suggest just trying to keep the Canadian inflections out of your voice. You could try googling up Aussie TV news and listen to some news readers clips.Paul Hogan in Crocodile Dundee is a close example, not overly accented but he includes a lot of "ocker sayings". Aussie actor Simon Baker who stars in US TV show, "The Mentalist" has not changed his accent since leaving here,but he blends into the show and most viewers would never pick it. Good luck with your audition.

re Simon Baker, I have heard his accent on the show and in interviews, and from what I can hear there is a big difference, he certainly sounds much more Australian in natural speech. Not that I would argue with a native!
richsap
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 9:40:44 AM

Neurons: 1,510
For better or worse, the exaggerated accent is what we have all come to expect as representative of Australian speech mannerisms. If you played it true to life, it may not be (un)believable enough.
pedro
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 9:45:03 AM

Neurons: 63,022
For a reminder of the pitfalls just recall Dick van Dyke's supposed cockney accent in Mary Poppins
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 10:00:44 AM

Neurons: 594,898
Lenam, right now it's about 10 AM in Toronto. It was 5 AM when you asked ;-)
boneyfriend
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 11:04:17 AM

Neurons: 10,546
Good luck, excaelis, and let us know how it went.
Break a leg.
Are you an actor?
jcbarros
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 1:18:44 PM

Neurons: 9,377
Watch a Mad Max movie.
wercozy
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 6:43:15 PM

Neurons: 3,480

Make sure you eat salted peanuts, and chocolate before the audition. The protein in peanuts will help keep the blood sugar stable and reduce the chances of passing out. The salt will help electrical messages pass through the brain faster and more efficiently. The sugar in chocolate will feed the brain cells. Chocolate acts like endorphins and will make you feel loved on your big audition day.
excaelis
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 6:47:16 PM

Hi everyone ! Audition went well. It was for a Red Bull commercial already aired in Oz, I believe. They had to remove the pub and Harold Holt references for N. America !

I ended up channeling Bruce the Shark from Finding Nemo which seemed to be what they liked. We'll see how much soon, since it records Dec.16th.

@ Boneyfriend : Thanks for the luck. I used to do a lot of voiceover work here, have worked on stage for about 20 years and have done a couple of movies. Unfortunately I had to get a regular job a couple of years ago which prevented me from auditioning, which blew a big goat !

The regular job guys decided they could rub along without me so now I have too much free time to get back into the business. The annoying part is that now I have to get back on peple's call lists again, which may take a while

@ Pedro : I thought I had expunged that particular travesty from my mind. Now the nightmare is back - eeeek !
bturpin
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 6:52:32 PM

Neurons: 1,119
So exaelis have you determined your degree of separation from Kevin Bacon yet? I have determined I have a Bacon number of 2. Any chance we have seen you in anything?
excaelis
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 7:04:00 PM

LOL, bt. I have a KB number of one. I get about thirty seconds in " Rock My World " with Peter O'Toole. I did the voiceover for an All Bran bars T.V. ad a few years ago as well as Yellow Pages.com. among others. I'm not sure exactly where stuff airs, though.
lenam
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:35:35 AM

Neurons: 3,816
That's great Ex! Share the video with us when it is through. Dancing We will give you our feedback. Lol!

P.S. JJ, I am so impatient! Boo hoo!
blue2
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:37:36 AM

Neurons: 23,044
Well done ex! Let's hope you can get back in the saddle as quickly as possible.
Cass
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:23:10 AM

Neurons: 1,770
It's a tough business you're in, Ex. Sorry to hear your day job tanked but hang in there, even though it's rough. I was going to suggest you watch "House" as Jesse Spencer uses his natural Aussie voice for his character but it seems you nailed it with Bruce. I can't do accents and I envy those who can. This inability to mimic is why, after 50 years in this country, I still have my English accent. It has it's uses, though. Good luck with all future auditions and let us know when we can see you on the big screen. I'll buy a ticket.
excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:58:12 AM

Fortunately I'd always been able to treat it as a very lucrative sideline/labour of love. Unfortunately our business got taken about three years ago ( still in litigation ) so I surrendered to the lure of filthy lucre !

In this town about 25 guys get 95% of the voiceover work ( which is my preference ) and I was starting to get into that group when things went pear-shaped. Oh well, onward and upward !

Like you Cass I still have my accent after 24 years, except I probably have a few more of them ! Comes in handy when people one would rather not converse with insist on 'phoning even after my most earnest efforts to dissuade them from wasting their valuable time in such a Quixotic enterprise. Really, one would think that the good folks in government had better things to do than chit-chat with me. I suppose one should be flattered, but I do worry about the poor dears losing confidence in themselves !