mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
BSA EAGLE PROJECT Options
chopperpilot01
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2010 9:13:24 AM

Neurons: 722
Okay so I am currently a life scout and I am planning on going before the Eagle Board next month but I do not have any ideas for an Eagle Project. To get eagle means everything to me, mostly because my dad never could finish scouting. If anyone has any possible ideas please share them.

The project must take several hours and also has to require me to do fund raising or get donations along with the help of other scouts in my troop. Thank you for your help.
spotted pony
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2010 9:44:55 AM

Neurons: 6
You better hurry! An eagle in our troop went to a local hiking club, built some walkways for a nearby trail, to get thru some swampy areas. The club provided funds & plans, the wood & materials were all available at the local hardware, the walkways were easy to put together. The most time was spent carrying these logs into the woods 1.5 miles. It can be done in a month if it's all set up like that. Fund raising I think would take the most time, but that was already in place for our guy. Our scout went ahead with his project since he could not wait for the council to approve it. They eventually did.

Other scouts built benches for the local park, set up markers for a trail & cleaned it up. I don't think you have time to receive answers if you write letters to politicians or community leaders. Don't bother with setting up a blood drive, our council no longer approves that as a project, too easy.
chopperpilot01
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2010 9:56:42 AM

One member of my troop built grills at a local park and he received his eagle last month.
HoosierDaddy
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2010 10:54:53 AM

Neurons: 175,119
I built a wheelchair ramp for a small church in my community. It seemed to go over very well with the council committee, and the church loved it. Try to find something that you will enjoy doing and that will benefit the community, not just a project to "get 'er done". It should be something that you feel good about after you are finished and that you will be proud to say you accomplished.
Apple Blossom
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2010 11:08:03 AM

Neurons: 1,416
Is there a natural area in your community that is in danger of succumbing to urban sprawl? You could raise money to purchase the land in order to preserve the flora and fauna.

You could give presentations on the history and species makeup of the land to local civic groups and businesses, in an effort to raise the necessary funds. Some of the time requirements for fulfilling your project might include researching the history and profile of the land.

HoosierDaddy
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2010 1:44:08 PM

chopperpilot01 wrote:
The project must take several hours and also has to require me to do fund raising or get donations along with the help of other scouts in my troop. Thank you for your help.

Let us know what you decide on!
RuthP
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2010 4:24:27 PM

Neurons: 87,618
chopperpilot01,

What a great project; a few ideas:

Invasive plant species are a huge problem in most states. Organizing a "pull" in a sensitive wild area: a wild park, a wildlife refuge, a wetland area, is an idea. You could even combine it with planting native species.

Plan an event, which could be the first of an ongoing effort, to benefit a nonprofit: Canned-food drives for food banks are common. This time of year, everyone does this, but I belong to a group which regularly does two drives a year: one in October (before everyone starts giving for the holidays) and one in February (when most food banks are short, because people tend to quit giving after the holidays). The drives must be planned ahead of time: what area will be covered; what date is pick-up; what food can be donated (check with your food bank). Publicity must be done: we leaflet a week in advance (which means someone must make the leaflets and a small group must put one at each house). Pick-up is done on foot, but someone must follow with a (or more than one) good-size vehicle. We typically get 400 to 600 pounds of food.

You could do a similar drive for clothing / school supplies before school starts or for toys / art / reading material for shelter kids at any time.

There may be camps for kids with physical handicaps or medical conditions in your area. It is highly likely they could use help with repair and upkeep at the campground(s).

Try contacting an organization called "Hands on (your state or city)" or Volunteers of America. Organizations like these act as clearing houses for volunteers, which probably would not work for your project, but on the other hand, they may be able to put you in touch with organizations with good-size or ongoing needs for volunteers and you could figure out a project with one of them.

Learn to knit (it's easy). Homeless shelters need hats and scarves all the time. Neonatal ICUs often need little hats for little preemies: they will have directions and allowable yarn types. (And I'll bet that would be a very unusual Eagle project. You could arrange for someone to teach you and your fellow scouts the knitting.)
lemonk
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2010 6:37:22 PM

Neurons: 642
Congratulations!! The BS troop that meets at my church has an Eagle Scout project to update our parish hall. Last year an Eagle Scout candidate built a storage unit for the tables and chairs (our parish hall needs a lot of work...). I love all the environmental ideas too. Good luck! Applause
chopperpilot01
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:32:45 PM

I like the nature ideas too (mostly because I work in Ecology Conservation at the camp I work at). I was at Eno River State Park N.C. with my scout troop over the weekend ( just got back at about 4) and I saw where in 1995 a scout put steps along the main trail to make it easier to hike.

I will let everyone know what I decide and if the board approves it.
chopperpilot01
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 8:55:14 AM

Maybe I can do a project that can help the local endangered species around my community.Think I still haven't decided but Thanks to you all I have several ideas.Dancing
Gwen
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 9:28:08 PM

Neurons: 689
My brother is a life scout who is on the beginning stages of his project. He is re-doing the Christmas decorations for my town because my town has this huge Christmas celebration every year. I'm going to help him by painting some of the wooden decorations. Maybe there is some seasonial decorations that need redone for your town. I know that this isn't one of the more glamourous projects, but that isn't the point, right?
chopperpilot01
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:01:54 AM

Gwen wrote:
My brother is a life scout who is on the beginning stages of his project. He is re-doing the Christmas decorations for my town because my town has this huge Christmas celebration every year. I'm going to help him by painting some of the wooden decorations. Maybe there is some seasonial decorations that need redone for your town. I know that this isn't one of the more glamourous projects, but that isn't the point, right?

That would work except my towns only Christmas decorations are what people put up on their houses... Its kinda sad if you think about it.Boo hoo!
Gwen
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:50:34 AM

That is sad.
Another boy in my brother's troop built a bobcat enclosure for the Florida Fish and Wildlife.
How long until you turn 18?
chopperpilot01
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:52:35 AM

Gwen wrote:
That is sad.
Another boy in my brother's troop built a bobcat enclosure for the Florida Fish and Wildlife.

I am turning sixteen in a week so I still have two years.
Gwen
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:17:07 PM

chopperpilot01 wrote:
Gwen wrote:
That is sad.

My brother is coming up on his 18th birthday so he is kind of running out of time. My dad didn't make Eagle because he played around with it, so he's pushing my brother to make his.
chopperpilot01
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:59:57 PM

Gwen wrote:
chopperpilot01 wrote:
Gwen wrote:
That is sad.

My brother is coming up on his 18th birthday so he is kind of running out of time. My dad didn't make Eagle because he played around with it, so he's pushing my brother to make his.

Same with my dad and me.
chopperpilot01
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 8:48:15 AM

Well I promised you all I would let you know what I decided to do for my project so here it is.

I have decided to do a small scale landscaping project at the senior center in my town because they have given so much time and effort to my scout troop that I feel like it's time someone did something for them in return.

My plan is to build two raised flower beds one in front of the handicapped ramp and another running along the side of the building.

Thank you all for your suggestions you really helped out a lot. Applause
Apple Blossom
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 2:13:21 PM

Neurons: 1,416
Very nice choice, chopperpilot. Good luck on your project!
RuthP
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 4:44:37 PM

Neurons: 87,618
That is a great project!

Is there a possibility of designing the beds so they are high enough for the seniors to work at easily? (Maybe one for standing, one for wheelchair users) You could not only beautify the center, but make it possible for people with limited mobility to garden again.

Post a picture when you are done?
kitten
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 5:34:42 PM

Neurons: 7,420
RuthP wrote:
That is a great project!

Is there a possibility of designing the beds so they are high enough for the seniors to work at easily? (Maybe one for standing, one for wheelchair users) You could not only beautify the center, but make it possible for people with limited mobility to garden again.

Post a picture when you are done?

What a lovely idea. A few things you may wish to consider.....make sure the paths can accommodate wheelchairs and walkers. Gravel isn't good for the above. Also perhaps if you made one of the areas a 'butterfly garden.'

I used to have a community garden near me and they put in plastic bird baths on pedestals. The bowl of the bath had a few hold drilled into it, brick or rock laid on top, the soil and finally the plants. This allowed those with limited mobility to sit and garden or stand with their walkers and garden. Benches are also nice as it is lovely to sit in a garden as well.

I wish you well.

peace out, >^,,^<

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Butterfly+gardening
chopperpilot01
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 9:50:06 PM

I will make sure to post a picture when I am done but it will be a while because I have to wait until it heats up again because it is just plain freezing outside :(. Thanks to all of you.
HoosierDaddy
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:22:56 AM

chopperpilot01 wrote:
I will make sure to post a picture when I am done but it will be a while because I have to wait until it heats up again because it is just plain freezing outside :(. Thanks to all of you.

Did you finish?
IMcRout
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:57:44 PM

Neurons: 563,379
chopperpilot01
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:43:47 AM

Pictures are coming soon. I finished the project and I go before the eagle board for my final approval tonight. I had to go with a different project due to zoning permits but it still looks great. I gave back to my school by building picnic tables.

I did not have enough time to get the permits.
chopperpilot01
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:49:28 AM

Im an Eagle Scout! Dancing
percivalpecksniff
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:16:58 AM

Neurons: 3,404
Congratulations Chopper. What does that entail... being an Eagle Scout?
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:08:17 PM

Neurons: 166,581
Congratulations Chop, that is quite an accomplishment.
chopperpilot01
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:00:39 AM

It is the highest honor in scouting. Most scouts don't receive this achievement.

Not only is it a great award but it will help me get into college, and get a job. Simply by being an Eagle scout, I will be at the top of the stack when applying for college or a job.