The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

puerile. Options
prolixitysquared
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:03:36 PM

Neurons: 3,101
puerile (adj.)

1. silly: regarded as childishly silly or immature, 2. relating to childhood: relating to or characteristic of childhood (formal).

[Late 16th century. Directly or via French < Latin puerilis < puer "child, boy"]

I wonder what other new words forum users are learning on a weekly basis.
Wolfie
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:41:41 PM

Neurons: 30
I learn alot of new words using this site.

It's a great site for discovering and learning new words, and if you want more info on the word, just look it up on TFD :)
bugdoctor
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:49:56 PM

Neurons: 5,456
I have a Gmail email account in which I try to send myself one special word a day. It may be a word with which I was previously unfamiliar, OR a word I know but for which I found an interesting variation in usage.

Today's word is:

palliate
tr.v. pal·li·at·ed, pal·li·at·ing, pal·li·ates
1. To make (an offense or crime) seem less serious; extenuate.
2. To make less severe or intense; mitigate: tried unsuccessfully to palliate the widespread discontent.
3. To relieve the symptoms of a disease or disorder.
vr091073
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2009 2:11:19 PM

Neurons: 720
Puerile, childish, infantile, juvenile, immature - all of these terms convey essentially the same meaning, and are more or less synonymous with one another. Evidently, this is in reference to the use of this word in sense 1 of Prolixitysquared's quote.

Otherwise, it's been a while since I subscribed to TFD's Word of the Day, which I find extremely useful from a vocabulary point of view. No later than this morning, I got to learn the meaning of 'rupicolous', a term of which I admit to having had no prior cognizance. It is an adjective that signifies thriving among or inhabiting rocks, and is pronounced with the primary stress on the second, i.e. the 'pi' syllable. I thought it was striking enough to warrant an inclusion on this thread.