The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

meaning of this quotation. Options
prince
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 7:28:22 AM

Neurons: 3,390
i shall be greatful to someone who can help me to understand the meaning of this quotation.

At the end i feel constrained to confess that there is nothing i all that i formerly believed to be true ,of which i cannont in some measure doubt.

pedro
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 7:43:12 AM

Neurons: 63,022
bird's eye view
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 7:44:50 AM

Neurons: 504

Here goes...

I am compelled to admit that there is an element of doubt in everything that I previously beleived to be true.

thar
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 8:42:39 AM

Neurons: 90,814
I thought I knew stuff. Now I'm questioning everything. So ignore everything I said was definitely true!
Raia Dalila
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 12:28:45 PM

Neurons: 278
Angel
thar wrote:
I thought I knew stuff. Now I'm questioning everything. So ignore everything I said was definitely true!
ME, i know that everything i said and will say is definitely the truth
Raia Dalila
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 1:09:28 PM

Angel
prince wrote:
i shall be greatful to someone who can help me to understand the meaning of this quotation.

At the end i feel constrained to confess that there is nothing i all that i formerly believed to be true ,of which i cannont in some measure doubt.

Doubt helps! Personal understanding of your Doubts helps; Dont Believe it! If your Spirit Doubts. Everyone and theyr mothers want you to think like Them; Because it will simplifie theyr lives. They do not wish you to eat The Apple.
rob
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 1:09:34 PM

Neurons: 249
All we know for sure is:
WE KNOW NOTHING FOR SURE!!!Brick wall

Which brings us to tale of a person who made a very long journey to find Budda and then asked him "I have come to ask a question. What is the best question that can be asked and what is the best answer that can be given?"

Budda replied, "The best question that can be asked is the question you have just asked, and the best answer that can be given is the answer I am giving."

And we don't know whether he is right or not because WE KNOW NOTHING FOR SURE!!! and that is all we are sure of

Hope that helps.
Raia Dalila
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 1:18:48 PM

Speak to the hand
rob wrote:
All we know for sure is:

Which brings us to tale of a person who made a very long journey to find Budda and then asked him "I have come to ask a question. What is the best question that can be asked and what is the best answer that can be given?"

Budda replied, "The best question that can be asked is the question you have just asked, and the best answer that can be given is the answer I am giving."

And we don't know whether he is right or not because WE KNOW NOTHING FOR SURE!!! and that is all we are sure of

Hope that helps.
Yes if i wanted to know about After death
rob
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 1:44:21 PM

Neurons: 249
All I'm saying is that you have to be careful when reading philosophy because:

When it's all said and done, they HAVEN'T toldBoo hoo! you a THING!Think

In my humble opinionAnxious
Raia Dalila
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 2:42:52 PM

Rob; Try to find Arianne's thread from time to time to climb out. Nothing is Static...we are not Minerals(?)
chovekazadborcheto
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 5:23:14 PM

Neurons: 189
rob wrote:
All we know for sure is:

Hope that helps.

aye, though I gotta say we know something, and we are damn sure about it...'tis called death. The one and only certain thing there is. Don Juan from Carlos Castaneda's books has a couple of interesting thoughts on that if you're looking for further reading :)
Alias
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 5:45:06 AM

Neurons: 1,993
Hmmmm I am quite fond of this quote:

“Are we not a contradictory species occupying a dichotomous planet wobbling about in what, from all indications is a paradoxical universe?” Tom Robbins (Villa Incognito)

Knowing is based on perception and evaluation of that perception or/and evaluation of evaluation based upon trusted sources...i.e. hypotheses

One who knows unequivocally has stopped the process of knowing.....and all knowledge is completely dependant on it being known..Knowing is a verb... Truth! is by nature confined and defined by its context...and the "mind" of the one who interprets it.

E.G. You know it is true that the earth is only 5000 years old. Defined by your belief that the source of that information tells you. This is a case of evaluating an evaluation...You are relying on an interpretation of ancient texts that have decided that the earth is 5000 years old..e.g. Fundamentalist Christian + some fundamentalist Jews subscribe to this notion..as many (but not the Hindus!!) did in the first century A.D.

However another may interpret the same information and conclude that the same text does not determine the earth is 5000years old and based on accumulated information and others evaluations of that information (geology, etc) that the earth is in fact many hundreds of millions of years old

Or even better....One could assume that the truth is; That the Sun revolves around the earth.....a "Truth" that was very very widely believed...until Galileo in the 17th Century "doubted" that truth based on his "new" information...determined that the earth revolved around the sun....eventually Galileos information and his TRuth became widely accepted and further supportd by new information...

These newer "truths" could at some point be re-interpreted to take in newer information...Perhaps The Earth may indeed be 5000 earth years old because, for example, Aliens from a parallell universe have a vested interest in deluding us in order to control our destiny to avoid detection and keep us under control... As these Aliens are masters of mind control, most of us have been hypnotised except those who have, through ancient ritual, mind-melded with the "truth" Aliens who, also from the same parallel universe, want us to control our own destiny.

The knowledge "static" that the mind control Aliens are distracting our minds with is eventually dulled and quietened by the corporealisation in this universe of an adept member of the "truth" Aliens who mind-melds directly with us to reveal the universe and "reality" as it really is!! short circuiting the hypnotic power of the mind-control Aliens and exposing us to the Truth!!!

I think I need to go and lie down now........Anxious Drool Anxious