mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Musical Theater Options
risadr
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 2:58:29 PM

Neurons: 3,545
There's a thread about book-to-film conversions, but what about book-to-theater conversions? Has anyone seen the musical version of Gregory Maguire's Wicked? I've heard nothing but good things about it, but those reviews are coming mostly from my friends who are fans of musical theater, in general, and I wonder how true to the novel the musical stayed.

What other musicals have been based on books?
catskincatskin
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 5:14:09 PM

Neurons: 261
risadr wrote:
There's a thread about book-to-film conversions, but what about book-to-theater conversions? Has anyone seen the musical version of Gregory Maguire's Wicked? I've heard nothing but good things about it, but those reviews are coming mostly from my friends who are fans of musical theater, in general, and I wonder how true to the novel the musical stayed.

What other musicals have been based on books?

I saw Wicked with Kristin Chenowith as Glinda and Idina Menzel as Elphaba. I loved it very much. I could go on and on and on about why. As far as the relationship to the book, well, the Broadway show's a musical. Maguire's novel was told in a serious tone that made it clear from page one that this wasn't an Oz for children. The musical version tones that down by making Glinda as prominent a character as Elphaba (unlike in the book). The Glinda I saw (Kristin Chenowith) was super cute and perky, making a fun odd-couple type of dynamic with Elphaba that the book didn't have. The major complaint I've heard about it is that Glinda's perkiness is annoying. If you like the soundtrack (I do) and the novel (I do) then I think you'll love Wicked.

Phantom of the Opera is another musical based on a book. Cats is based on poems by T.S. Eliot. Cabaret is based on an Isherwood short story (I think... I might have that wrong, someone's short story). West Side Story is based on Romeo and Juliet. Kiss of the Spider Woman is based on a novel by Manuel Puig. Lots more I'm sure!