The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Words not in oxford Options
chiya
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 3:22:33 PM

Neurons: 386
Can words that not there in the Oxford dictionary too be a part of the language?Can we use them in tests where u are supposed to use only correct English?
Anguine,phenakism,lamprophony are some of those words.
And then there are some words which have one meaning according to oxford but multiple in other dictionaries.
Can we use them?Think
worldsclyde
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 3:29:12 PM

Neurons: 2,390
I'm sure the planet earth in general is okay with using those words, but only your instructor can answer your questions about his/her tests.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 3:35:41 PM

Neurons: 587,447
I second WC here. As long as it's your exams, be conservative. Then, when you're a widely praised author, use any words you can imagine. And, of course, here you can use new words; just prepare to explain what they mean ;-)
chiya
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 3:44:32 PM

Oh..Ok,so does that mean I should mark the option using one of those words in a national level exam wrong(no instructor there :( )?
chiya
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 3:48:13 PM

Ahh..forgot to add 'thank-you'. :) It must be the most used words in the forums Anxious
excaelis
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 4:40:05 PM

Neurons: 32,652
chiya wrote:
Can words that not there in the Oxford dictionary too be a part of the language?Can we use them in tests where u are supposed to use only correct English?
And then there are some words which have one meaning according to oxford but multiple in other dictionaries.
Can we use them?Think

I found anguine in my Merriam-Webster's, and the root or variants of the other two, so it surprises me that they ( part. anguine ) are not in the O.E.D.

I cannot imagine why you would need to use these words but if you must, you must. Try to find less complex/obscure/odd verbiage wherever possible.

Remember, in writing clarity is to be preferred over elaboration. You won't endear yourself to examiners by using unneccessarily arcane words that they then have to go look up themselves. Good luck.
martyg
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 5:20:13 PM

Neurons: 2,386
dictionaries are fickle. my random house dictionary (very large) has many words not found in my webster's collegiate.
tootsie
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 5:26:29 PM

Neurons: 23,730
I failed my Lamprophony course, but the teacher said it was understandable. Hmmph
Man
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 6:25:02 PM

Neurons: 102
chiya wrote:
Can we use them?Think

No, don't use words that are not in the Oxford dictionary for correct British English. Besides, there are many other words that are in the dictionary and that can be used instead.
mailady
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:13:38 PM

Neurons: 2,752
It's not a good idea to use words that most people would not know. If someone thinks "Gee,I've got to go look that one up.", most likely they won't and then your point is missed.
deebee
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:29:46 PM

Neurons: 573
...and of the 3 words that Chiya quoted only one, anguine, is to be found in TFD! However I have to applaud Chiya's efforts to expand my vocabulary, I love to learn new words!Applause
saintvivant
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 10:55:31 PM

Neurons: 140
All three of these words are in the OED. I just looked them up as I have the compltete 24 Volume OED on CDROM. You must be using an abridged version. Anguine means of or resemling a snake. Phenakism is deception, cheating and lampprophony is a term for a clear and sonorous state of the voice. These are obscure words but are most certainly legitamate parts of the language. You can use these as much as you want in my opinion. Sure, most people will have to look them up but that might be a good thing. Willam F Buckley JR always used words like these to stimulate and annoy the reader.
chiya
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 4:04:31 AM

Excaelis,Man and Mailady,
Ohk,thanks,I'll not use them but the test I am talking about is an objective test,where they may us give four uses of words and ask to choose the correct one or four words for a sentence and ask to identify the correct/wrong one. :( I just hope they'll not use any of these words there. :-<

Deebee, hehe thanks.

Santivant,oh OK,thanks. I am using Oxford advanced learner's- the big one and the software that came with it. Didn't know it was abridged .Anxious
Mia
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 6:41:38 AM

Neurons: 66
As other responses have shown, I think it depends on what dictionary you use - and not just what dictionary, but also what edition.
I think as long as you know that it's a proper English word, go for it; use it :)
If in doubt, I'd recommend looking it up using several different resources (although sometimes this can counfound the matter if they conflict in their definition, as I have discovered in the past ^_^)
schrodinger's cat
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 6:41:59 AM

Neurons: 1,977
I have the abridged OED and only "anguine" is in it. One issue is the abridged, non-abridged edition and another is that new words keep entering language, which means you'd have to keep buying new dictionaries every year. Yes, it might be better to play it safe, but I can't really say what that would be in your case. Hmm.
Alias
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 7:23:33 AM

Neurons: 1,993
His Lamprohony seduced us, writhing phenakismically anguinous….his meaning at first so clear but obfuscating a more perfidious intent. - GC

Writing Hint Number 321.: "Dont use a big word where a diminuitive one will suffice"
pedro
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 7:50:07 AM

Neurons: 63,022
chiya wrote:
Can we use them?Think

'u' isn't in my Chambers other than meaning upper class so I suppose u've aswered your own question by stealth.
chiya
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 7:54:39 AM

pedro wrote:
chiya wrote:
Can we use them?Think

'u' isn't in my Chambers other than meaning upper class so I suppose u've aswered your own question by stealth.

Sorry!
d'oh!
I used 'u' and 'r' in my board exams too. I AM trying to correct that. :(
chiya
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 8:10:26 AM

Alias, lol,i will not,thanks. :D
Mia,yeah,that's what do.And I love your name! :D
Cat hmm..Think