Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Student of English literature Options
sarah111
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 1:28:11 PM

Neurons: 30
Dear friends,

as I mentioned before I'm a student of English literature and I still have the

most painful problem (Professor )

he had taught me from the last semester. I swear of my God that he treat me badly and all my classmates agree with me. For instance, today I've done (a great and successful )presentation and also my voice was not as low as my friends. even he observed this and I'm the only one who discuss me about my work. The rest of the students read it like any book. ) Then when the reading part started and he corrected many mistakes of them, but when I read he insulted scolded me in front of all my classmates. All of them observe that. After that he said you must work on this you didn't know to read!!
all of us did mistakes

I feel miserable and I want to cry

I am a confidence and trust my God and then myself

I am ready to your suggestions.
worldsclyde
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 1:37:28 PM

Neurons: 2,390
I'll bet the rest of your students know the reason behind your scolding so don't be ashamed. Also don't encourage too much scolding, you can't "win" the contest in the professors world. You have us to share your understanding. When you are able, travel. Maybe I'll see you in Spokane some day!
sarah111
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 1:49:14 PM

worldsclyde wrote:
I'll bet the rest of your students know the reason behind your scolding so don't be ashamed. Also don't encourage too much scolding, you can't "win" the contest in the professors world. You have us to share your understanding. When you are able, travel. Maybe I'll see you in Spokane some day!

mmmmm what do you mean by they know the reason??

LOooooooooooooool if I can travel, I won't return to my country forever

I'm sure I will travel to U.S.A one day

trust God

worldsclyde
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 2:08:08 PM

sarah111 wrote:
worldsclyde wrote:

mmmmm what do you mean by they know the reason??

LOooooooooooooool if I can travel, I won't return to my country forever

I'm sure I will travel to U.S.A one day

trust God

Professors typically scold and rant to keep you in your place of inferiority, especially if you ask difficult questions. This is usually obvious to anyone watching. If this happens to other students, do you think that student is a fool or that the professor is just using (abusing) the power of his position?
tootsie
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 2:33:34 PM

Neurons: 23,730
Bad teachers abuse the power of their position, Good teachers encourage you, even if you get it wrong, don't allow one to put you off learning, and stay with what you believe x

Good luck to your future Sarah111
sarah111
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 2:37:30 PM

tootsie wrote:
Bad teachers abuse the power of their position, Good teachers encourage you, even if you get it wrong, don't allow one to put you off learning, and stay with what you believe x

Good luck to your future Sarah111

all of you all right

but I think I must be as he wants me(the last semester I got C)!!!!

he hates me so much but I will do my best to pass this semester

I Trust God

I still stay with what I believe with myself darling
Moonl
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 2:38:45 PM

Neurons: 186
Hi there. Worldsclyde, I used to teach at University and I have never scolded students.People who act this way lower themselves. If Sarah thinks this way, she won't feel unhappy.
sarah111
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 2:45:33 PM

Moonl wrote:
Hi there. Worldsclyde, I used to teach at University and I have never scolded students.People who act this way lower themselves. If Sarah thinks this way, she won't feel unhappy.

I wish he thinks like you
worldsclyde
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 2:49:21 PM

Yes, I've been taught by many good professors as well. I could have worded that better.
sarah111
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 3:09:19 PM

I've just finished watching The pursuit of happiness movie

The hero told his son(don't let some body to say that you can not do any thing even me)
worldsclyde
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 3:19:31 PM

sarah111 wrote:
I've just finished watching the movie, Pursuit of Happyness.

The hero told his son, "don't let some body to say that you can not do any thing, even me".

I'm just correcting your English here, not scolding you. Dancing I inserted commas and quotation marks. Notice "Happiness" is misspelled in the tittle. That was important in the movie.
excaelis
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 4:48:21 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Was this your Macbeth project ?
boneyfriend
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 4:58:45 PM

Neurons: 10,546
Sarah, to me your professor is behaving as a bully. I had a supervisor at one time who made me so miserable. A friend of mine sent me a book called, How to Handle a Bully. Reading that book helped me so much. Just being able to identify the problem was such a lift and being able to quit blaming myself all the time.
I just googled "How to handle a bully teacher" and there is much there. Try that and see if it gives you some help.
The teacher is not being fair to you and it is not to your benefit to beat yourself up. Try to get a grip on it and realize what he is doing.
Much luck to you.
Keep us posted on how things are going on in this class.
martyg
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 5:39:51 PM

Neurons: 2,386
@worldsclyde

Notice "Happiness" is misspelled in the tittle.

read the above comment. not certain which word you were referring to. 'happiness' (more prevalent in use than happyness or 'tittle' which is possible a typo as it also means some sort of punctuation mark. 'title' of the movie fits well.
Yaelyael
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 7:19:43 PM

Neurons: 729
Sarah11: I'm praying as well that you could go to the U.S. someday soon. I felt bad when I read your post. Very rare professors who help their students especially for English classes.

I think he is envy or jealous... He thinks that you are boasting your self (If i'm right with my word) because you are well conversed in English

>Yael<
kalai
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:22:12 PM

Neurons: 42
Learn to ignore such people who does not know the value of being a teacher. Take everything as a challenge and you will succeed. Take criticism in a positive way. You will see the new way for growth. All the best.... World is full of such people. Now at college, later in any work place. Learn to be thick skinned.
sarah111
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 2:59:50 AM

He teaches us Literature and I like this subject so so so so so so much , namely I can study it well

one more thing while I was reading your helpful and honest posts I asked myself why don't I read all the chapter before the lecture?
it's long but to avoid his (scorning) and at the same time I will learn more words

thank (
Yaelyael)
for your praying and I hope so.

when I think to take it as a challenge as Kalai said, I become more strong than before

I want to ask him

How do you hate a person never hurt you??I can not do that. I don't like to hate anyone.
thank you my best friend
thar
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 4:36:06 AM

Neurons: 90,875
Sorry to hear you are having a hard time. Here is my advice, for what it is worth.

First, understand and accept your professor has the power here. You have to work within that.

You have both got into a pattern of behaviour, he as a bully, and you thinking he hates you.

He is not going to change on his own, so you have to change both.

I assume he teaches American Literature because at one time he liked it. Whatever made him into a bad teacher you cannot change, but try to think of what will spark his interest. When you ask a question, do not make it a chore for him to answer, try to make it so you are asking his opinion, his ideas. Look up his area of research and relate what you know to that.

I know this is appeasing the bad guy, and you should not give in to bullies here, but I do not think this is the time to fight that battle. Do whatever it takes to get through your studies and enjoy them.

Read the works before the lessons, even go to him and ask a question, engage with him (so long as it is an opinion, not a fact you could have looked up). (I don't know how possible this is under your system)

My advice at this point is: Do not take it personally, or berate him for being nasty. He will find it a lot harder to be nasty to you if you appear to respect him and be interested in what he has to say.

(And if that doesn't work, complain to the university and get the **** sacked!)
peterhewett
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 6:00:33 AM

Neurons: 3,698
With all due respect to you Sarah we only have your take on it. Are you asking us to takes sides? We cannot do that out of fairness to your professor. How do we know but that you deserved what you got? I am not saying you did, but no one on this forum can takes sides on matter they have only half heard.

We had a poster on the forum calling her husband a wife beater and saying she ran across continents to escape him... she went into detail... but we did not hear his side. Maybe she was telling the truth, maybe she was not... who can know.

Perhaps it is you that needs to change. For all we know you could have a problem with your ego... we do not know the truth only what you tell us. I suggest you take a good look at your own attitutude to see if you can change and improve your relationship with your professor. Do your part and forget about your so called self confessed 'super ability.'
schrodinger's cat
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 6:28:08 AM

Neurons: 1,977
I'm an English language and literature student as well, and I've been in the educational system for 16 years (not counting kindergarten), so I think I know something about it. I considered whether or not to respond to this post, because I may step on a few toes along the way, yet I think someone should give an objective assessment of the situation.

First of all, in all my years in school, I have never encountered a teacher/professor who would have it in for me specifically. Was I born under a lucky star? I think not. Nearly every other person I talked to had detailed accounts of how some teacher hated them. A few of these people were my classmates and I can say for sure that the mentioned teachers did NOT have a personal grudge against those students. What happens is that a student gets a bad grade, which is then naturally the teacher's fault, because God forbid the student should take responsibility for not studying enough. Another thing that often happens is that a teacher is not particularly fond of a certain student because he/she is unruly in class, doesn't do HW, study, etc. I can see that this is not the problem in your case, that aside, I believe the teacher should have the right to punish those who are not behaving and reward those who are behaving. Ex.: When a student is between two grades, he/she would get a lower/higher one.

Secondly, teachers have different teaching styles, methods and even personalities. Some are more strict and others more lenient. Since a teacher is also a person, he/she would often have some quirks or even faults. There is one professor at my University that has the reputation of a "dragon lady". Several students told me they'd rather took another written exam than an oral one, because they were so afraid to face her. She's very strict, will always correct your mistakes, even minor ones, when she happens to be in a very bad mood she can even yell at you. This year, I went to her office hours to look at an exam I failed. There were several of us in the room when she gave her comments. She, not in so many words, said that my test was a disaster, and after I noticed that she didn't write any points at one exercise and asked her about it, she said something akin to there would be no use, as I failed anyway and terribly so.

Was she out of line? I suppose we could argue about that, but I spent most of my Summer studying that subject and when I next took the exam, I easily passed it, with a good grade too. Personally, I'm glad that I have this professor again this year as she is a true expert in her field. As far as for occasional scoldings, yelling, "insults" goes, they are always well-deserved. There are other professors who would for example keep drilling for an answer when they see you falter Many students don't like that, because they think it's all about humiliating them. No, it's about teaching you how to think, how to find an answer to a difficult question quickly, and by correcting your mistakes, they help you to improve, because that's what they're there for.

I can't say whether you deserved the scolding, and I can't tell how good you are compared to other students, and even the professor, but I can say that you make awfully many grammatical and other mistakes and with your level of English, you wouldn't even pass the first year in my University, perhaps not even a highschool class of English. There is really no point sugarcoating this. The standards in your country may be much lower, I don't know about that, but do realise that you make a lot of mistakes. If I understood you correctly, your professor corrected everyone, but he was particularly harsh on you? That can be either because you made the most mistakes, or even because you were one of the best, and he wants you to improve even further. Either way, it's not necessary that it was because he hates you. Also, I'm one of the best students in the year and I still make a bunch of mistakes, and I still get corrected. How could I possibly compare with someone that has been studying a certain subject their whole lives? Of course, even professors may make a mistake every now and then, but in most cases they are correct.

Whichever of the possibilities is true in your case, the best you can do is to take it in stride. Consider his corrections and try to learn from them. Even if the professor is toeing the line of what is acceptable. If he insults you, ignore it. As I said, everyone has their faults. On the off chance that he crossed the line by miles, then you can write a formal complaint, but this is tricky. Even if you are right to do so, it doesn't mean it will be ruled in your favour. (Certain things can get swept under the rug quite quickly.) The professor might keep his position and the abuse would only get worse. So, I advise you to keep this option only as a last resort.

sarah111
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 6:58:29 AM

than thar and I will do my best to take your advice seriously.
peterhewett I agree with you but do you observe that I've said (all my classmates had done mistakes) I don't like to act the poor role but this is the reality and I say it might be a good chance to improve my language.

schrodinger's cat you always help me and I shall never forget your last help. sure, I've made (awfully )mistakes but , I worked hard to do my presentation.
on the other hand, I have never felt like this. All my previous teachers were respectable
thanks again for your advice
chiya
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 8:50:33 AM

Neurons: 386
Aww! My class teacher in school did the same thing to me. By the time I left school i couldn't say a word in class or talk to strangers without getting nervous. Took two years in college to get normal again.
Just don't take your teacher seriously.If he doesn't like you,it's his problem,not yours. :).
Atiya
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 1:30:20 AM

Neurons: 6,093
Sarah, there are many good advice here and I hope that you can benefit from these.
I wish you all the best for your studies/future.

Babezy
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:11:11 PM

Neurons: 2,806
There's no reason to embarrass or insult students. That's just rude and boorish.