mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
asleep and sleeping what is the difference, sorrry Options
JJ
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 7:23:33 PM

Neurons: 3
I'm sorry don't mean to sound dumb but what is the difference? Trying to write a sentence and this is driving me crazy.
risadr
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 9:56:56 PM

Neurons: 3,545
I think that the two are synonyms. For example, when the phone rings and one is awakened to answer it, one may tell the person on the other end of the line that "I was just sleeping," or that "I was just asleep."
kaliedel
Posted: Saturday, May 2, 2009 12:16:58 AM

Neurons: 1,029
JJ wrote:
I'm sorry don't mean to sound dumb but what is the difference? Trying to write a sentence and this is driving me crazy.

Honestly, I have no idea what the difference is, besides context. As risadr says, I think they might be interchangeable, although there could be some exceptions.
catskincatskin
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:59:57 AM

Neurons: 261
JJ wrote:

One difference is that "asleep" is almost always an adjective. The only exception I can think of is when it's used with "fell asleep," in which case it's an adverb.

Sleeping is much more versatile. It's both a noun and an adjective. So you could write, "Sleeping is fun." But not, "Asleep is fun." "Sleeping" is grammatically the same as both "asleep" and the noun "sleep" (but not the verb, "to sleep").

As far as the sentence you're trying to write, unless you're using the phrase "fell asleep," it's safer to go with "sleeping."
Luftmarque
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 2:10:53 AM

Neurons: 39,962
Semantically they're the same, but grammatically they won't work as exact substitutes: you can say "the sleeping policeman" but not "the asleep policeman," "the policeman fell asleep" but not "the policeman fell sleeping" (unless of course…)
risadr
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 2:47:01 PM

Neurons: 3,545
Mark: What if he was sleep-walking? lol
Betsy D.
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 6:56:45 PM

Neurons: 558
Luftmarque wrote:
Semantically they're the same, but grammatically they won't work as exact substitutes: you can say "the sleeping policeman" but not "the asleep policeman," "the policeman fell asleep" but not "the policeman fell sleeping" (unless of course…)

Oh for a drawing tool-I loce that last visual ;P
kaliedel
Posted: Monday, May 4, 2009 11:59:30 PM

Neurons: 1,029
English: the agony and the ecstasy.
Picaro
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:54:18 AM

'sleeping' may come as a present participle(as in 'i was sleeping') as well as a gerund(as in 'don't wake the sleeping child'). on the other hand, asleep can be used both as an adjective (as in 'i was asleep') and as an adverb (as in 'i fell asleep during the literature class').i think sleeping as a present participle and asleep as an adjective are interchangeable.
amsf16
Posted: Tuesday, August 3, 2010 5:51:49 AM

Neurons: 6
I think that the difference between sleeping and asleep is quite simple:

When you say: I am running or I am working; it means that you are "doing" the "run" or "work" right now. So, if you say: I am sleeping; it means that you are "trying" to sleep. While, since falling asleep is not something that we "do", rather, it is something happens, we say "asleep" rather, = I was asleep (You can not say I am asleep because you can not talk while asleep)!

This is my own point of view about this subject.
RuthP
Posted: Tuesday, August 3, 2010 11:31:15 AM

Neurons: 87,618
amsf16 wrote:

When you say: I am running or I am working; it means that you are "doing" the "run" or "work" right now. So, if you say: I am sleeping; it means that you are "trying" to sleep. While, since falling asleep is not something that we "do", rather, it is something happens, we say "asleep" rather, = I was asleep (You can not say I am asleep because you can not talk while asleep)!

Hi amsf16,

You made a very logical, but incorrect, argument. You are correct that "sleeping" is the process of doing something, in this case the process of being asleep. "Falling asleep" is a different process, the process of getting to the point of being asleep.

Welcome to the forums and I hope to see many more posts from you.
DisabilityGuide
Posted: Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:33:52 PM

These two words are completely synonymous. I cannot think of a situation where one would be more fitting.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:58:16 PM

Neurons: 92,574
DisabilityGuide wrote:
These two words are completely synonymous. I cannot think of a situation where one would be more fitting.

It depends how you want to add to it, the words have different collocated adverbs:

fast asleep, nearly asleep, finally asleep, I was asleep in your class, asleep for a hundred years.

busy sleeping, happily sleeping, done sleeping, finished sleeping, let sleeping dogs lie,

also as the active verb "sleeping with the enemy" or maybe a friend!
stf92
Posted: Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:07:07 AM

Neurons: 135
And what's the problem with "slept", past and past participle of sleep? Why do I not hear it used?
thar
Posted: Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:17:05 AM

Neurons: 92,574
stf92 wrote:
And what's the problem with "slept", past and past participle of sleep? Why do I not hear it used?

not hear as in ever, or in this thread?

Here it is not the question and would only confuse the issue.

It is only an active verb, "I slept last night" (or passive, I was slept on)

The thing about asleep and sleeping is they can both be used as adjectives, although one is adjective one is gerund (present participle) of verb
amsf16
Posted: Wednesday, August 4, 2010 9:08:15 AM

RuthP wrote:
amsf16 wrote:

Hi amsf16,

You made a very logical, but incorrect, argument. You are correct that "sleeping" is the process of doing something, in this case the process of being asleep. "Falling asleep" is a different process, the process of getting to the point of being asleep.

Welcome to the forums and I hope to see many more posts from you.

Hi RuthP,

Thanks for your reply and kind welcoming.