The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Enhance immune system and kill bacterias? Options
Onna Minda
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 11:05:47 AM

Neurons: 9
Hi all,

i don't know whether what i am going to ask something that had not been invented on the earth.However i wonder it will save us from lot of serious diseases if we have something that can enhance our immune system and at the same time kills bacterias around us.

What i mean is, it should act like a shield and it should destroy whatever bacterias around us.Know any supplement/Drug like that?

Any suggestions?

thanks.
MiTziGo
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 12:40:36 PM

Neurons: 6,142
I think as a society we have lost sight of the fact that bacteria are a necessary part of life and killing them indiscriminately actually puts our bodies in more danger than they were in the first place. First of all, there are natural bacteria in your digestive tract that keep things in working order. Anyone who's taken probiotics like Lactobacillus acidophilus or Lactobacillus casei should know this. There are also naturally occurring bacteria in the vaginal tract. When the equilibrium of these bacteria in your body is thrown off (for example, if you take an antibiotic, which indiscriminately kills bacteria in the body, and the bacteria in your stomach is killed too), your body will react negatively (following from the earlier example, you can get an upset stomach or diarrhea).

Also, exposure to various pathogens is what allows our body to develop immune reactions that protect us from disease. If you lived in a sterile bubble all your life and one day left the bubble for the real world, you'd almost certainly get sick. So, exposure to bacteria can actually help us ward off disease.

And finally, superbacteria. Overuse of antibiotics is promoting the spread of super-hardy bacteria. Some bacteria are resistant to drugs, and when we use these drugs, they survive while the weaker bacteria are killed off. This leaves the antibiotic resistant bacteria to reproduce and dominate the bacteria population.

Conclusion:
Humans have survived for millennia in a world filled with bacteria. Don't overuse antibiotics. The world is a safer place if we accept the presence of bacteria in it.
fred
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 12:53:14 PM

Neurons: 4,457
Shouldn't a healthy immune system take care of that. The Chinese have been using herbs, accupuncture, and directed chi for thousands of years to help the immune system.
Onna Minda
Posted: Saturday, May 2, 2009 12:21:24 AM

Neurons: 9
thanks for the replies and long descriptions.well what i mean is something that i can get on daily dose like a supplement, may be as you said to enhance the immune system.
Paladin
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 9:25:45 AM

Neurons: 12
Suppose for a second that there was a magic shield that could surround us and make us invincible. Would not everyone jump on the bandwagon and start using it? Of course we would! But there is no such secret supplement that will instantly boost our immune system and make us free from disease. It just does not exist.

That said, there are many things that can be done to help. The more ways you try to boost your immunity, the better the immune system works. But it is a step-wise progression. There is no "one-cure does it all" answer.

Here are things to do.
1. Listen to Michael Pollan when he says, "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." A variety of plants, especially green and other brightly colored plants, have lots of nutrients and phytochemicals (chemicals that plants make) which boost the immune system. The greater the variety, the better the immune system is boosted.
2. Exercise regularly. Exercise helps the immune system.
3. Get some sunlight daily. It makes vitamin D in your body which enhances immune function in the body. Of course too much sunlight has other problems.
4. Clean, pure water helps a lot.
5. Attitudinal healing: Paul Pitchford, in his book _Healing with Whole Foods_ (a must-read book), says that attitudinal healing "is the foundation for immunity; gratitude and forgiveness are preliminary steps."

So there is no one thing that gives us absolute immunity to all ills. But by doing a combination of healthy practices, we can effectively enhance our immune system so that we can ward off a number of diseases that may affect those around us.
Pestcontrol
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 6:22:05 AM

Neurons: 144
Paladin wrote:

Here are things to do.
1. Listen to Michael Pollan when he says, "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." A variety of plants, especially green and other brightly colored plants, have lots of nutrients and phytochemicals (chemicals that plants make) which boost the immune system. The greater the variety, the better the immune system is boosted.
2. Exercise regularly. Exercise helps the immune system.
3. Get some sunlight daily. It makes vitamin D in your body which enhances immune function in the body. Of course too much sunlight has other problems.
4. Clean, pure water helps a lot.
5. Attitudinal healing: Paul Pitchford, in his book _Healing with Whole Foods_ (a must-read book), says that attitudinal healing "is the foundation for immunity; gratitude and forgiveness are preliminary steps."

I totally agree...
Rhondish
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:35:30 AM

Neurons: 787
Onna Minda wrote:
Hi all,

i don't know whether what i am going to ask something that had not been invented on the earth.However i wonder it will save us from lot of serious diseases if we have something that can enhance our immune system and at the same time kills bacterias around us.

What i mean is, it should act like a shield and it should destroy whatever bacterias around us.Know any supplement/Drug like that?

Any suggestions?

thanks.

Pre-biotics support and strengthen the immune system. These are found naturally in foods such as soya beans, artichokes, chicory, onions and garlic. You will begin to see this advertised more aggressively, especially now with the H1N1 virus, as the best way to fight off infections (viral and bacterial) is with a strong immune system. I am sure pre-biotics will be added to foods, the same way pro-biotics (good for digestion) are, but I honestly feel the best way to incorporate pre and pro biotics is through diet. I subscribe to a free newsletter at www.mercola.com. This can provide you with a number of ways to remain healthy with and without supplements.
Wolfie
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 9:09:30 AM

Neurons: 30
Me being a norwegian and all, I will recommend fishliver oil! As it is a healthy supplement for anyone.

And the dosage is easy, you just take one spoonful in the morning, and if you don't like the aftertaste, just down a glass of orangejuice afterwards, which is also healthy :D

However, you should be careful with your intake of vitamin A, as you can exceed the recommended dietary allowance

Also you should read up on this link on cod liver oil for some general information on the substance :P Which is what makes fish so healthy*.

fred
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:28:04 AM

Neurons: 4,457
Wolfie wrote:
Me being a norwegian and all, I will recommend fishliver oil! As it is a healthy supplement for anyone.

And the dosage is easy, you just take one spoonful in the morning, and if you don't like the aftertaste, just down a glass of orangejuice afterwards, which is also healthy :D

However, you should be careful with your intake of vitamin A, as you can exceed the recommended dietary allowance

Also you should read up on this link on cod liver oil for some general information on the substance :P Which is what makes fish so healthy*.

Ulv, that sounds a little fishy to me.
cleopatra clover
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:55:50 AM

Neurons: 999
I agree with Paladin.
And as for me, I don't have much time to do regular excercise but however, I will try to exercise at least once a week.

Have you all ever heard of Effective Microorganism (EM)? Its a good bacteria that eats up the bad bacteria, not only in our body, but can be use to clean our house, clean/improve the water quality in fish ponds, oxidation ponds, rivers, clean/freshen the air ....well, I have been using it since last year and since then, I never take any other supplements. My house gets even cleaner and my plants are even greener. This bacteria is first been discovered by researches in Japan and now, many countries in the world has started to apply this Biotechnology. It is safe, and very economical. (Sometimes I do make a lot of spelling mistakes and I do apologize for that)