mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Kids with Allergies Targeted by Bullies Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2010 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 96,378
Kids with Allergies Targeted by Bullies

A new study suggests that kids with food allergies may be targeted for bullying more than their peers—with potentially dangerous consequences. A recent study of children with food allergies found that 50% of those in grades 6 to 10 have reportedly experienced bullying, teasing, or harassment. Bullies may tease the target for eating foods that are different or even go so far as to threaten the child with the food item that causes an allergic reaction. Such bullying can be particularly distressing to children who already shoulder the burden of monitoring their food and making sure it is safe for them to eat. More...
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2010 6:24:18 AM

Neurons: 6,040
Hmm. When I was in school way back when I really don't remember acts of bullying or acts of violence. Have the times changed or was I just lucky.
lenam
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2010 6:34:49 AM

Neurons: 3,816
Brick wall d'oh! I don't think it is true.
srirr
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2010 6:39:19 AM

Neurons: 484,288
Is there any connection with this report and cultural environment of schools?
pedro
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2010 6:47:55 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Joseph Glantz wrote:
Hmm. When I was in school way back when I really don't remember acts of bullying or acts of violence. Have the times changed or was I just lucky.

Just lucky I think. It's been around as long as schools have. It gets more sophisticated with technological advances as does military equipment. I don't think Tom Brown was the only literary figure who had to cope with it. I can't think of others offhand.
Tovarish
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2010 7:52:22 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Bullies target anyone that they think is weak or different.

God, I hope it isn't Darwinian, or we would all be idiots.

Bullies them selves are weak, underachievers.

Apple Blossom
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2010 9:41:14 AM

Neurons: 1,416
As a child, I broke out in a rash and became congested whenever I ingested too much citric acid. Therefore, acidic foods including oranges and tomatoes were eliminated from my diet. One day at the lunch table in elementary school, a little girl offered me her orange. When I explained that I was allergic to them, she held the orange in front of my face. I guess she expected me to sneeze. At that age, I think kids are more curious than anything.

But, Tovarish, I think you are correct in surmising that the motivating factor for bullies stems from Darwinism. I've noticed that many adults in our society appear to live by the philosophy of "survival of the fittest." They tend to be very competitive and capitalize on the weaknesses of others. Maybe I've noticed this more because I've lived with a disability and worked with people who have disabilities. I think the "survival of the fittest" mentality begins at an early age and is just manifested differently as people age.
Drew
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2010 12:31:17 PM

Neurons: 4,487
Wow, these kids can't catch a break.
Tovarish
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2010 7:32:45 PM

Apple Blossom, the misconception of bullies, that people with a disability are therefore weak, sometimes comes as a rude shock.

During High School, my daughter was being harassed on the school bus, by a boy.
At the end of the trip, she picked him up and put him in an Otto Bin (the large plastic rubbish bins, with a flip lid).
Not a peep out of him after that on the bus.

Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, October 3, 2010 7:12:04 AM

I have just been watching Stephen Fry at the Sydney Opera house.

Not to be mistaken with Oprah House, yet to happen.

Stephen Fry recounting an attack by the Rugby Bullies on him at an English Private School,

"Don't touch me, don't touch me or I will have an erection",said it worked every time.

Quite possibly this type of humour only amuses Pommies and Aussies?

Babezy
Posted: Sunday, October 3, 2010 7:31:57 AM

Neurons: 2,806
Tov, congrats to your daughter for taking out the trash! I'm glad it saved her further trouble, and I bet it made him think twice about harassing other kids, too.

And the Stephen Fry thing was such a crack-up! Please add Yanks to your list...
Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, October 3, 2010 7:38:05 AM

Thanks babezy, you never know with humor, its rather like our taste in art, you never know what other people enjoy, ha ha

Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, October 3, 2010 7:41:22 AM

Babezy, the 'Otto bin boy" ran around her like a little slave for the rest of High School, ha ha
Gwen
Posted: Tuesday, October 5, 2010 6:53:49 AM

Neurons: 689
lenam wrote:
Brick wall d'oh! I don't think it is true.

Why? Public high schools here in the US are brutal.
Apple Blossom
Posted: Wednesday, October 6, 2010 12:00:51 PM

Neurons: 1,416
Tovarish wrote:
Apple Blossom, the misconception of bullies, that people with a disability are therefore weak, sometimes comes as a rude shock.

During High School, my daughter was being harassed on the school bus, by a boy.
At the end of the trip, she picked him up and put him in an Otto Bin (the large plastic rubbish bins, with a flip lid).
Not a peep out of him after that on the bus.

Tovarish,

Your daughter must have been strong! Or else, her tormenter was a little whimpy fellow who wanted to conceal his vulnerability by invoking fear in others.

I was a tiny child and often the target of bullies in elementary school, especially. One day in science class, a boy sitting behind me was harassing me. As class was beginning, he picked up one of my books from the floor next to my chair. Turning around, I grabbed my book from him and whacked him on top of the head with it. The teacher then yell at the boy. He was stunned and said sheepishly, "she hit me." The teacher told him, "if she hadn't, I would."

Another time in the same class, I was jotting down some last minute notes at the end of class when the boy in front of me started scribbling with a pencil in the area I was trying to write. I grabbed the pencil from him and broke it in two, then handed it back to him.