mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Should I use 'would', 'last morsel/amount' and 'if you had been born'? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2015 9:14:16 AM

Neurons: 28,080
If you were King Golden Hue, do you think you would share your last food with others?What if you were born during the time of Nichiren Daishonin, do you think you would share your last food with Nichiren Daishonin?

1. Is it correct to would] in both cases?

2. I don't think last food works. I would use [i]last morsel or amount of food
. Am I correct?

3. I think I should replace "if you were born" with "if you had been born". Am I right?

Thanks.

S. Ilker Orsel
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2015 10:02:33 AM

Neurons: 89,701
I think I agree with all your suggestions, but for food I think "final" sounds better than "last".
JL-2
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2015 11:22:38 AM

Neurons: 212
I think the "last food" dosen't sound right; it sounds incomplete.

Try it like this:

If you were King Golden Hue, do you think you would share your last bit of/scrap of food with others? What if you had been born during the time of Nichiren Daishonin, do you think you would have shared your last bit of/scrap of food with him?
Robert Imgrat
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:05:43 PM

Neurons: 106,087
I would, especially after passing by side of a road, Lotus. But, because I had been living in a hostel for more than 4 months, in Republic of Ireland, country of equal opportunities, I will not let anyone take away my food by force.

NKM
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:09:18 PM

Neurons: 315,308
I think I'd prefer "the last of your food."

And JL-2 is right about "had been born" and "would have shared."

I see a problem with sentence structure, too.
"What if ..." is a very special idiom, in which the single word "What" functions as an entire main clause, leading to a whole sentence.
It can mean ""What would happen if ..." or "What would you do if ..." or any of a number similar implications.

- "What if you had been born during the time of Nichiren Daishonin? Do you think you would have shared share your the last of your food with Nichiren Daishonin?"
- "If you had been born during the time of Nichiren Daishonin, do you think you would have shared share your the last of your food with Nichiren Daishonin?"

CovenantWord
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:15:50 PM

Neurons: 5,755
I would deem "were living" to be the better choice, because it conveys the subjunctive and is more precise and elegant than "had been born". Similar reasoning applies to "would share" instead of "would have shared". If the author prefers "would have shared", the "had been born" would be improved with "had lived".

"Morsel" suggests that rations have been short for a while, suggesting that all parties are hungry at the time of the ethical decision.

"Last" indicates the end of the supply currently available, which offers at least some hope of sustaining life long enough to find additional food; "final" carries the connotation of an understanding that the meal will followed by certain death. The choice of adjective changes the ethics interestingly.

Punctuation point: In the second sentence, a comma is not strong enough to separate two independent clauses; at least a semicolon is required. Because of the progression of thought, I would suggest the sentence be divided:

If you were King Golden Hue, do you think you would share your last scrap of food with others? What if you were living [had lived] during the time of Nichiren Daishonin? Do you think you would share [would have shared] your last morsel with Nichiren Daishonin?

[Edited. Sorry, changed my mind somewhat.]