The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Gene Linked to Migraines Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 93,330
Gene Linked to Migraines

Researchers have identified the first gene associated with migraines, severe recurring headaches that are often accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and visual disturbances. They found that if a gene, known as TRESK, is defective, environmental factors can more easily trigger pain centers in the brain and cause a migraine. The finding could eventually lead to drugs that increase the activity of this gene, protecting people with the underactive version of it from developing migraines. More...
Apple Blossom
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:55:22 AM

Neurons: 1,416
Hasn't that girl gotten rid of her headache YET?
Serge_HID
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 3:03:05 PM

Neurons: 27
I can't say anything about the girl in the picture, but I definitely know what a migraine headache is like - it's horrible. It is true that you feel nausea and sometimes you vomit (when the pain is the most severe - you begin to feel better a little bit after that). And sure I know that feeling of the light - it's like someone sticks his finger into your brain through the eye. There is only one solution for me - take a drug and have a sleep for at least 20-30 minutes. After that I feel like I have been born again.
What concerns things that trigger the pain, they are: a lack of a sleep, nervousness for a long time, hunger, very rarely - overwork.
I hope scientists will investigate this disease causes and effective drugs will be developed.
Apple Blossom
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 3:29:24 PM

Serge_HID wrote:
I can't say anything about the girl in the picture, but I definitely know what a migraine headache is like - it's horrible. It is true that you feel nausea and sometimes you vomit (when the pain is the most severe - you begin to feel better a little bit after that). And sure I know that feeling of the light - it's like someone sticks his finger into your brain through the eye. There is only one solution for me - take a drug and have a sleep for at least 20-30 minutes. After that I feel like I have been born again.
What concerns things that trigger the pain, they are: a lack of a sleep, nervousness for a long time, hunger, very rarely - overwork.
I hope scientists will investigate this disease causes and effective drugs will be developed.

Serge_HID,

I can't imagine. I get very severe tension headaches similar to migraines, at times. Mine flare when I have back and neck pain simultaneously. The pain travels all the way up my spine to the top of my head, and sometimes even my face throbs. Any little movement, including chewing, exacerbates the pain. It feels like pressure building inside my head, so I call it an "exploding" headache. I usually feel sick at my stomach, too, but actually got sick from one only once.

I read recently that scientists have discovered an anomaly with the blood vessels of the head in people who experience migraines. The vessels apparently become inflamed.

BTW, I commented on the girl in the picture because the same picture has been used several times in recent articles.
MarySM
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 7:16:17 PM

Neurons: 6,084
I can't imagine living with chronic migraine headaches. I have had three in my entire life and I remember each of them in vivid detail. Anything that could help should be developed.
Gwen
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:29:42 PM

Neurons: 689
Migraines (unfortunately) run in my mom's family. My mom, grandma, great-aunts, ect all have severe to chronic migraines. The doctors say that margarines are genetic and that I have a 50% chance of getting migraines. My mom and I both think that I will get migraines when I'm older (I'm 16 now) since I'm prone to headaches now. This really sucks because I remember sometimes when my mom's migraines would get so bad, she'll have seizures. Sometimes she'll get them while my dad would be TDY, so I normally would be the one taking care of her
Wanderer
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:26:01 PM

Neurons: 78,988
The sooner they can find a cure the better for me. I really feel sorry for your mom Gwen. I'm sure it is hard to have that responsibility when your dad is gone.
Vickster
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:41:02 AM

Neurons: 7,211
Migraine are awful... I get them every so often...usually when I'm stressed out.. I hate when I get one and it feels like my brain is smacking against the inner walls of my head when I move...

I had a boyfriend that would get them almost every day... he'd hide in his room with a pillow over his head... life would stop because his pain was so bad...

Sorry to hear about your Mom, Gwen. Hoping you don't get them...
Gwen
Posted: Saturday, October 2, 2010 11:27:55 AM

Thanks Vickster and Wanderer. The sad thing is, last night, my mom just got over the migraine she's had for 3 days now ... and my dad's TDY again. (He the medic for TaCP’s and PJ’s, "The Green Berets of the Air Force" as the nickname goes.)
Apple Blossom
Posted: Wednesday, October 6, 2010 2:22:24 PM

Gwen wrote:
Thanks Vickster and Wanderer. The sad thing is, last night, my mom just got over the migraine she's had for 3 days now ... and my dad's TDY again. (He the medic for TaCP’s and PJ’s, "The Green Berets of the Air Force" as the nickname goes.)

Gwen,

I wonder if your father's absence induces your mother's migraines...An adult version of separation anxiety? Does your mother get them more often when your father is TDY? Most migraines tend to have a trigger, but usually a physical one, e.g., bright lights.
Gwen
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 10:19:08 PM

Apple Blossom wrote:
Gwen wrote:

Gwen,

I wonder if your father's absence induces your mother's migraines...An adult version of separation anxiety? Does your mother get them more often when your father is TDY? Most migraines tend to have a trigger, but usually a physical one, e.g., bright lights.

No, I don't think so. I know that they started for her when she was about 14-15, I think. But after a while they stopped occuring until she got pregnant with my older brother when she was 23ish. But the stress of having Dad away so much doesn't help.
kitten
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 11:07:23 PM

Neurons: 7,420
I, too suffer from migraines and the medication that worked the best for me my doctor won't prescribe anymore because it is an 'old formula' and the insurance companies will only pay for so many 'new formula' pills per month.........six if I remember right.Think

There are triggers, mine are bright lights and loud noises as well as some foods.

The blood vessels are constricting, so what I now do is take 2 aspirin with two shots of fresh expresso with a little cold water just to cool it enough to drink with the aspirin. My old medicine had these two ingredients in it to open up the blood vessels plus a pain medication. It does help me but I have to catch it at the first sign of naseua.

I wish anyone well who suffers from this as migraines aren't fun.

peace out >^,,^<